Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

What do you look for in a good GA airport?

Guest Safetydance

Things are still progressing nicely. I appreciate the input guys. I have my own plans for what the scenery will include but I take everything into consideration. Also you never know when someone will come up with something that I haven't thought of.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192843.jpg

Hello Jim:Thanks for the reply and your interest.The single runway is 04/22. the single taxi strip runs parallel to the runway on the western side of the runway. Next is the apron, a fence, then the terminal building with the tower and fixed base buildings adjacent to them. Aircraft on the parking apron are in parallel rows with a 40 degree heading. Occasionally, on the opposite side of the terminal a single row of aircraft may be parked side by side, with a heading of 220 degrees. There are two resorts that utilize this airport and occasionally there are more exec. Jets and other aircraft than there are available parking spaces. My home is directly under the Glidslope path for 04. Stacking firewood last year in my back yard, I started counting landings. A new bird was making an approach every 4 1/2 minutes and this is a reasonably low profile location. Everything from a 727 to King Airs. When nothing is going on relative to conventions and the like, there will be only a few aircraft present. We just lost Delta and USAir. Presently, Continental (Gulf Air) had two airline flights per day in and out of the airport.Planes are parked in parallel rows spaced such that no pushback is necessary and planes can taxi in a 04/22 direction, turn left or right toward the fence depending upon which direction they are headed, then turn 90 degrees into their parking spot. For departure there is enough space that than can taxi forward, turn easterly and then onto the taxi strip.22-----------------------------------------------------04 Rwy-------------------------------------------------------Taxi Apron Apron +> <+ <+ <+ <+ <+ +> <+ <+ <+ <+ <+ +> <+ <+ <+ <+ <+ +> <+ <+ <+ <+ <+ +> <+ <+ <+ <+ <+ +> <+ <+ <+ <+ <+ Apron Apron______________________________________________Fence Terminal, Tower, Bldgs. HangersHope this makes sense: My email address is rthodgestoo@verizon.netRespectfully:RTHEdit: I didn't know how my poor attempt at making a graphic presentation would work with text. I had a space between the left row of aircraft (220 degree heading) and the other rows (40 degree heading), but when transferred as a post, it did away with that spacing. The Beech D1900's that come in from Continental usually come in and park at an angle in front of the Terminal Bldg. Again, I hope this makes sense.

Guest JimC1702

I found another satellite view online which showed more aircraft parked at the airport, so I was able to see how they parked. I've made those changes. I'll send you the files so you can take a look.How is the default tower location? Is it correct? I can move it if needed.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Guest Safetydance

Wow,Can you guys maybe start another thread or email instead of hijacking my thread? I'm not trying to be an #### just trying to collect data. Thanks. ;)

Guest byoungblood

>Dekalb-Peachtree (KPDK)If someone with some more artistic skill than I would like to get in touch with me, I have done a good deal of AFCAD work for this and quite a few other GA airports around Atlanta. I just suck at designing buildings, custom textures, etc...

Hi,Quite an interesting thread. It just goes to show that not everyone has the same opinion of what makes a good scenery.

Matthew Murray

Guest Safetydance

I'm actually quite surprised by some of the responses. Though to be honest I was hoping for more input.

>Everyone keeps mentioning the performance with Bill Womack's>Plum Island. But in the screenshots I've only seen like 4-5>custom buildings. So I have to ask is it any wonder that>there isn't a performance hit? I'm not trying to discount his>work but I'm just wondering.>Yes, it's small, but it has lots of small details and these add up just like buildings do. Look at the tractors, the vehicles and the other small extras, it took more polys to get the detail they have, which could have easily been the same as 5 big hangers.Since I just noticed in your original post you mention it's payware, then custom runways textures, detailed buildings and custom ground work should be a given in a payware scenery. Animations and traffic as well. All this with great performance is what makes a payware scenery.Accuracy is also a key ingredient. I design scenery and the main reason I don't do payware is I don't have the resources or the want to reproduce a real airport, just to many details that if left out you will hear about it from the fans of that airport.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Safetydance

>Hi,>>Quite an interesting thread. It just goes to show that not>everyone has the same opinion of what makes a good scenery.It is interesting. I personnally have always been into sceneries that almost mirror their real world counterparts. I've been to some of the real world georender airports and was blown away. The level of detail for their time was amazing. For me the details and atmosphere make the airport. My project continues.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192940.jpg

>It is interesting. I personnally have always been into>sceneries that almost mirror their real world counterparts. >I've been to some of the real world georender airports and was>blown away. The level of detail for their time was amazing. >For me the details and atmosphere make the airport. For me too. But for me "atmosphere" means how I view the airport from the traffic pattern, from 2 mile final, from short final, etc. Every airport has its own distinct "signature" when viewed by approaching pilot and from such distance and altitude buildings play but small role. These to me are the most recognizable traits of the airport and not whether the right sign hangs on administration building. If someone gives me all the right replicas of buildings but misses everything else - unfortunately it is poorly done airport.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest ArtieLange

. If>someone gives me all the right replicas of buildings but>misses everything else - unfortunately it is poorly done>airport.>>Michael J.Can you define what you mean by "everything else" ?

Hello Jim:The KLWB tower looks reasonable relative to its location, as does the terminal such as it is. Thanks:RTH

Guest Safetydance

Would you all still want custom ground textures (taxiways and runways) if it meant losing the rain effect on the ground?

>Would you all still want custom ground textures (taxiways and>runways) if it meant losing the rain effect on the ground?ABSOLUTELY! If I want a wet runway...I can find one of the other 4000 airports!:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter