Sign in to follow this  
Mace

fs9 to FSX AI resources?

Guest grapesh

Hi!Can anyone point me to a thread or website, if any, where the problem is discussed?I try to use WOAI packages in FSX and they seem to behave weird. Like, the inbound AI would initialize at flight level, and it would dive for landing, losing 35000 ft in 5 min, and then go missed or overshoot runway and continue taxiing, etc. I wonder if this is some artifact of fs9-fs10 differences. but I hope this topic has been explored, I just can't find it with Search option.Thanks! =S.V.=

Thats weird, I have all the packages except the military ones and mine behave fine. Are they just doing this at certain airports?As far as starting at 35000 feet then making a dive, when I first start a flight sometimes AI that are enroute will start at altitude then make steep descents to get to pattern altitude. Once FSX is runngin for a while, 15 mins or so, they seem to sort them selves out, on my system at least.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fact is, WOAI aircraft are FS9 planes. FS9 planes have a habbit of not working correctly in FSX. Model and parking are just two of the issues that cause problems. If you are running WOAI and things seem OK, thats great. Otherwise...things made for FSX work better in FSX.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest grapesh

There are other strange things WOAI does in my FSX world. Like it would be very low on approach, as low as 1500 ft 10 nm from threshold. I don't think I noticed this with default FSX AI, but I can't be certain. Also framerates are unusually high, higher than the same traffic in FS9 - but I wonder if it is some sort of model incompatibility as you guys mentioned. On the same note, does anyone develop FSX-based AI (freeware), or everything we have is fs9 port?And, how do you compile/decompile AI in FSX? Is there a tool in SDK now, or TTools would work? Is there a thread/resource that describes all pitfalls and gory details of FSX AI? Thanks!=S.V.=

Sorry Bobby but your premise that FS9 aircraft don't work properly in FSX is not correct - at least not on my system. I have more than 7,000 texture sets with more than 200 aircraft models and I have not noticed a problem with the aircraft.Yes, airports do need AFCAD support for parking. Yes, there needs to be configuration data so that FSX gateways will match the aircraft - this data is available here at AVSIM. As for models - I have all sorts of aircraft and I haven't seen any problems with models.There is a problem with a mismatch between the default FSX traffic file and all FS9 traffic. In my case I never use the default traffic file so I don't have that problem.There is also an aircraft separation problem but it is the very same problem that existed in FS9. Some say AI Smooth will fix that problem and others say there are other solutions. I personally don't notice because my AI environment is only for eyecandy at airports. It's not something that I spend any time watching that closely. If I see aircraft coming and going and parked at the gates that is good enough for me. After all, FS is a simulator for flying - not watching airports as if they were the focus of the software - my opinion.Additionally, if you use the DX10 function you can forget about proper display of AI aircraft - most do not work. I never use this function simply because there are way too many problems with it.Regarding use of FSX aircraft for AI - this just happens to be the same problem as you get in FS9. If you use default aircraft you will take on a huge performance hit. Why - these aircraft are way too big for AI. Oh yes, they look nice but you'll wish you hadn't implemented too many of these aircraft.So, in my opinion, FS9 aircraft work just fine.fbSystem:Intel E6700 CPU - not overclockedEVGA 680i MOBOEVGA NVidia 8800 Ultra - 768Mb4 Gb of memoryLiquid cooling by Thermaltake

Frank:I have seen FS9 AI aircraft behave strangely in FSX, too. However, I think this may be because of the issue bobbyjack mentions, in that they behave strangely upon first loading----then after a few minutes, they seem to straighten out and fly correct. I've seen the same aircraft dive 20,000 feet in a matter of a minute or two, yet later in the sim session, the same model does a nice 3 degree approach angle.I do not know what the cause of this is. I was observing an E145 model, can't remember which one offhand.Look at the EvolveAI MD-11. It will cruise at Mach 0.54 at FL34 in FSX. I've been working to fix this for some time. I do not know if it performs the same in FS9 or not.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Sorry fb, but my premise that FS9 planes do not work well in FSX is based on the same thing as your premise; experience with my box. On my system, when I have used WOAI military planes,(but not the FPs), even with reduced textures, my FPS tank. Trade them for default planes, same airport, same time, FPS almost triple. One of them never taxied properly(not just on loadup), would land and go underground short of the runway, or just fly off somewhere. Not an airport or FP problem.If you can use WOAI, I think that is fantastic. I replace default textures with repaints so I have real world airlines at my airports. I am wondering just how many of your 200 planes you really see. No one wants to spend their time watching AI too closely, but when it affects the sim, it needs to be delt with.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest grapesh

Me too, noticed a significant FPS drop with UltimateGA bizjets and C402s in FSX, as compared to fs9. Not as much with WOAI B717s and others. Interesting...Actually, with a diving issue - I happen to notice that the diving inbound planes are initialized right over destination, so, instead of spiraling they just dive...=S.V.=

>>Actually, with a diving issue - I happen to notice that the>diving inbound planes are initialized right over destination,>so, instead of spiraling they just dive...>That is a good point. That is probably what I saw with the E145's.It never happens once the AI have become what I call "established".RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB