Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

Your computer has run out of available memory

Guest SuperFortress

My entry looks pretty much like this:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

There's another way, although non-conventional, to help this problem out. You will want to run FSX in Windowed Mode to do this, as the "fix" below will explain.1. Prior to starting FSX, open up your Task Manager (Ctr-Alt-Del) and select the Processes Tab.2. Start FSX, and look in the tab list for the "fsx.exe" file. Monitor the "Mem Usage" column, and watch it climb as FSX loads. 3. Assuming FSX loads OK to begin with, choose your flight settings, then start loading your flight. Note several settings in FSX can have a huge affect on this. One of those "tweaks" that suggests raising your LOD setting to 8.0 will really increase the amount of memory used. You will also notice much more memory being used depending on the aircraft being loaded. Loading a PMDG 747 vs the default Cessan will really increase the memory usage of the flight being loaded. Keep watching the fsx.exe file memory usage. It SHOULD eventually stabilize once the flight loading completes...if it DOESN'T, you want to find out why, because eventually you are going to hit a value where you get the OOM message. This is a nice value to know for your computer, because there is a way to stop the OOM BEFORE it happens if you know the value.Assuming you got the flight loaded and everything is still running, start your flight. Keep an eye on that Mem Usage value, and I want you to try a couple things while you are watching that memory usage number. First, start switching views in FSX. Cycle through the cockpit, Spot, Tower, etc, etc, views. Watch what happens to that memory usage. It will normally INCREASE each time you switch a view. Texture loading, texture switching, etc. This can result in the GPU ending up using all that Virtual Memory space talked about in the above posts. Eventually, you might get to the OOM crash-limit.Now, try this also. With FSX in Windowed Mode, MINIMIZE FSX to your Taskbar. Watch what happens to the Memory Usage value. If it drops like a rock, yippee. Maximize FSX again, and you basically "start over", climbing to higher numbers. If your original flight loaded OK, the Mem Usage value will "stabilize" at a certain value again. But as soon as you start switching views, etc, it will keep climbing again with each view switch. For some people, simply periodically minimizing FSX to the Taskbar can keep things "under control" and you won't get the OOM as long as you don't let the Mem Usage value get to the point where your computer crashes FSX.Massive amounts of "view switching" can be a culprit in OOM errors in FSX. I use the TrackIR, and never have to switch views in any cockpits. All the necessary textures get loaded, then I can "see" them all by sinply turning my head to view different areas of the cockpit. No "view cycling" is required, thus no "loading/unloading" of textures with the associated increase in the Mem Usage values. The less "view cycling" you do in FSX, the better. I know many people don't like flying in Windowed Mode, but by doing it, and simply minimizing FSX to the Taskbar once in a while, I'll bet a lot of folks getting OOM's can stop that from happening. I've recommended this to numerous folks before, and every one of them said it solved their OOM problems. FSX can be finicky depending on your system. If your Mem Usage is getting out of hand like explained above, you may be able to "manage" it "on the fly" using the techniques I mentioned above to prevent OOMs. It only takes a second to do a minimize/maximize of FSX, and if it solves your individual OOM problem, it's not really an inconvenience at all.Your milage may vary. Just an alternate possibility being presented. And if you are die-hard set against running in Windowed Mode, just disregard the whole post. FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Thank you very much Falcon,I always fly in windowed mode, I will try your suggestion and hope it will work for me.ThanksWalouigi

>My entry looks pretty much like this:>>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows>XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GBThank you very much, I will try it out.Regards