Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Level D 767 or PMDG MD11

The 767X can give you hours of fun, whatever the success of the MD-11. The MD-11 will provide a nice variant on the Boeing way of doing things, probably with slightly better graphics and sound quality than the 767X and - hopefully - with fewer of the performance issues that bedevil the 747X. So the logical thing to do, I suggest, is get the 767X now and enjoy it; then take a view in light of people's reactions when the MD-11 comes out. It won't ever be "instead of" the 767X, just "in addition to" it.Tim

Level d and PMDG are both good developers with proven records of supporting their products.It depends on what criteria you are going to make your choice.The level D B767 has been out for some time. There is a lot of tech. support and commentary for this aircraft and the price is known and is reasonable.I'm sure that the PMDG rendition of the MD-11 will "knock your socks off", and it is a considerably different aircraft than the Boeings. The price "MAY" give you heart palpitations LOL,that remains to be seen.Ron

Ron Service

I'd also say get the Level-D plane, even if it is solely based on performance. The 767 is also more versatile than the MD-11, more suitable for domestic and regional flights. I think it is just more fun in general. The price of the 767 is half of what the MD-11 is likely to cost. I really doubt the MD-11 will be twice as good(I don't see how that's possible).I've got hopes that the MD-11 won't kill my system like the 747X tends to do, but I may be hoping a couple more months until I can get myself a new computer. PMDG makes great quality, but it has a great impact on your FPS.FSX has a huge lack of detailed airliners. Companies are ignoring Airbus it seems. The couple very detailed Airbuses in development appear to be going nowhere... maybe FSXI? I look forward to Level-D's 757 and PMDG's 737NG. Those are two very big holes in my hangar.If anyone's looking for ideas for something to build, an A310 or A340 would be cool :D

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest essoblue

The one thing that puts LDS over PMDG is that, on my system anyway, the LDS runs much more smoothly, FPS? I don't know, I don't look at them. Otherwise both PMDG and LDS are both top notch aircraft sim manufacturers.

Guest D17S

If a flyer has 'accomplished' either the LDS or the PMDG airplane, the mastery of a Boeing is in the bag. Even a 777 will be just more of the same. The differences the MD-11 brings to the table will be plenty to keep a technical flyer thoroughly enamored for quite a while. MD approached its FMS with a whole different tilt. If a user likes this kind of techniciety, this is the next frontier. BTW, the thing hand flys like a dream. Nothing like the Boeing 744 where pitch trimmin' is akin to livin'. There are some real world MD-11 pilots on-board that are already using the sim to check out real world procedures. We ground-pounders can only believe 'em, but it feels right. For instance, right now we're trying to determine how far off track will NAV (LNAV for the Boeing guys) allow the FMS recapture that track. The books are out. The realism will be ThaT good (Take a pretty picture too).

>>I've got hopes that the MD-11 won't kill my system like the>747X tends to do, but I may be hoping a couple more months>until I can get myself a new computer. PMDG makes great>quality, but it has a great impact on your FPS.>I'm running the PMDG MD11 on an Asus G1S notebook (that's right a notebook :-) ) and performance is more than satisfactory.That's my experience, though. We of course know that that there are a million different setups out there, but for me me at least performance is not an issue.Cheers,Bryan

>>I'm running the PMDG MD11 on an Asus G1S notebook (that's>right a notebook :-) ) and performance is more than>satisfactory.How does the FPS compare to the LDS767. I usually turn off most eye candy (autogen,scenery,AI) with the LDS767 to get the FPS up to a solid 25fps.

Matthew S

Also a good one is the Coolsky Super 80 Pro:http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=uas80proI also have the LevelD 767 and enjoy it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm with Bryan.I have owned the Level-D since its beginning ;). Currently it's the best airliner sim in the market. In my humble opinion. It's a Boeing, and a well-modelled plane that has very few problems and the overall immersion is great.The Md-11 on the other hand. I am testing it with the PMDG beta team, and I cannot emphasize enough how different an animal it is when compared to Boeings. It's really something else.If I were you, I would get them both. Without hesitation.Tero

PPL(A)

Hi,As of right now, the only choice is the Level-D 767. The PMDG MD11 is not out yet.I have to agree, I do not see anyone "SLAMING" the MD11!. I also agree, its untried in the FS community, it "IS" going to be more expensive than the level-D, if its not going to be more expensive than the level-D 767 I'll be the first to apologize to PMDG for this statement, and the PMDG MD11 is unavailable.Ryan please explain to me if you will, the following statement"Dave, you slam our plane (unjustly I might add, you can't possibly know any of the things you're claiming) and yet you have our supporter banner in your signature."How can you say he can't possible know any of the things he's claiming. All he said was its untried, which is "TRUE", outside of your beta team the aircraft is untried within the FS community. He said its unavailable which is "TRUE", if not please let me know of the purchase/download location. He then said it is probably going to be more expensive. I agree, I believe it is going to cost more than the Level-D767 which is selling for $54.95. I base this statement on your previous release, the Boeing 747 which is now selling for $78.00 U.S. dollars. Your Boeing 747 actually cost more now than when you first released the product. So, I cannot see the MD11 selling for less than the 747.Dogs53, regardless of the other Boeing aircraft you own, there is "NOTHING" like the Level-D 767300ER!. This is a first class airliner that should be in any serious flight simmer's collection!. If you do not own this "CLASIC" addon, you do not know what you are missing!Just for the record:I do not have a vested interest in either company mentioned, and I own and enjoy the PMDG 737-600,700,800,900 series and 747 aircraft.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Guest hmstiger

If the dollar continues to drop against the Euro, and after today, who knows, the last trijet be a LOT more expensive than the Level D. Colin WarePortland

Guest D17S

I have 'em both too (actually in both virtual and real worlds). The LevelD is a Great Boeing addon, and a real workhorse in real life. My initial introduction to a FMS was via the PMDG 744. After struggling through my initial "fam" learning curve with this virtual 744 FMS, I was able to walk out to a real 767 and set up a flightplan right up to engine start. After punching that final "EXEC" I was ready for "Clear right." Good thing there were no rampers around. I was ready to go. The 767 and the 744 Flight Management Systems are that close. I later got the LevelD airplane and simply "grandfathered" in. This kind of crew cross-qualifications is the whole point of Boeing's FMS similarities. Has another plus too. It's a Great system.If a flier wants to learn a Boeing FMS, either the PMDG 744 or the LevelD 767 will work. They are both fantastic representations of a Boeing FMS. I tended toward the 744 because of its up-to-date display strategy. PDFs and ND are the way to go. Sometimes I pop back into my LevelD 767 and it's a bit startling. The instrument set up is virtually unchanged since the days of the DC3. It -Really- takes a moment to adjust after sitting behind a modern panel. But if a flyer thinks the 744 has a modern panel, Feast your eyes on the MD11's . . . and it's NoT just eye candy. MD came up with an entirely more rational (imHo!) autoflight system. The AP and the AT are autonomously associated. The AF modes (FMA annunciations) are more rationally linked to their respective purposes. The MD's AF strategy just makes more sense than Boeing's. In other words, this is NoT a Boeing. You will NoT be able to simply sit down and fly the AP/FMS. In further other words, it's a whole new candy shop. SADDE6 arrival to LAXhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192839.jpgThere will be no wing views. Stop asking! http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192840.jpgAutoland. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192841.jpg Otto is not getting near the landings he used to. LSAS makes approach like flying on a rail. What's LSAS? Stay tuned.

>I'm running the PMDG MD11 on an Asus G1S notebook (that's>right a notebook :-) ) and performance is more than>satisfactory.>>That's my experience, though. We of course know that that>there are a million different setups out there, but for me me>at least performance is not an issue.I run FSX on a laptop too, the ASUS C90S. I can get 35 fps out of most planes with pretty high settings. When I use the PMDG 747 I simply turn off autogen and disable its VC (as I never use the VC in heavies anyways) and I get around 33 fps, even at larger airports.How does that compare to the MD-11? It would be nice to use it with autogen :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png