Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Indicated Airspeed cutting out

My IAS is always cutting out at odd times, and I revert to true airspeed.Any reasons? fix?Allen

Guest UlfB

Allen,Turn on pitot heat and the ice blocking the airflow will melt and you'll get your IAS back.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Would not the ice affect true airspeed as well, which always is functional in my system regarless of ice?>Allen,>>Turn on pitot heat and the ice blocking the airflow will melt>and you'll get your IAS back.>>Ulf B>>Core2Duo X6800 3.3GHz>4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5>BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-Fi>FSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest Gunner_CAF

FSX has many realism settings. If you want to reduce realism, you can. In a real plane in iceing conditions, when ice forms on the end of the pitot tube, the airspeed indicator will not work. Pitot heat will melt the ice so the indicator works. If your real life aircraft has a true airspeed indicator, then I guess that would also work :)Gunner

>Would not the ice affect true airspeed as wellYes it would or at least it should. The true speed (TAS) is computed based on indicated speed (IAS) so if you lose IAS you should also lose TAS. However who knows what aircraft your are flying and how realistic it - FSX may simply provide you with true airspeed which is devoid of any realism IAS/TAS. If you elected to turn on "true airspeed" option in FSX then it has nothing to do with real instruments on real airplanes.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

If the pitot tube and drain hole is blocked ths ias actually would act as an altimeter and show an increase in airspeed as you go up and a decrease as you go down. This has been responsible for some rw accidents-a 727 cargo flight whose pitot was blocked in this fashion and seemed to be climbing at an absurd rate-they kept raising the nose in an attempt to slow down and they stalled and went in. Conversly think of the trouble descending and showing an increasing slower airspeed-you would keep lowering the nose to increase airspeed-not a good thing. I think fs just simulates a basic failure where the ias goes to zero.True airspeed is the speed you are moving thru the air-if you are following a faulty ias that could change if one was chasing a faulty ias.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

In real life, I once had a pine needle stuck in the hole of my sole pitot tube. I safely got to land, only by not looking at the girating IAS.(but do not tell anyone I admitted to that...)allen

Guest jshyluk

I'm pleased that you are alive to tell this story! Flight Sim seems tame and pleasant, but the fact of real-world aviation is that there is real risk to your life up there. Granted, it's not such a big risk as it used to be, but when things go wrong in the sky, they can do so in spectacular fashion.My question is, if you turn on Flying Tips in FSX, will a frozen pitot generate a warning message? That's something I have never tried. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM