Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

AFCAD vs. Scenery

Would someone be kind enough to explain the difference in the airport scenery files found in the FSX AFCAD download section vs. the airport scenery files found in the FSX Scenery download section.Regards,Rod

Guest tcable

The general difference is that AFCAD defines the airport layout- parking, taxiways, aprons, runways, fences. Technically it does represent a form of scenery.Scenery in the usual context represents, buildings, textures and other objects- Terminal 5 at Heathrow would be a scenery object. The ramp polygon and parking at T5 would be in an AFCAD.The name Afcad comes from a tool by Lee Swordy for FS9 called AFCAD. I'm guessing it Means Airport Design Computer Aided Design. That tool does not exist by that name for FSX. I think most use ADE from Scruffyduck. At least I do :)Hope this helps!Tim

To expand on that a little bit...In the "old days" when the original AFCAD program came out, it only allowed you to add the things mentioned above...runways, taxiways, aprons, etc...but no real "buildings" or "structures" were part of the AFCAD.With the new "afcad" tools available now, buildings and structures can be included in the "afcad"...things like hangers, jetways, etc. The two main programs used now to do this for FSX are AFX and ADE.The term "AFCAD" is a carryover from the "old" days. What you will encounter in the library are files placed in the areas they most likely represent. 1. FSX Scenery = A total scenery package. It could be for a whole city, or even a redesigned airport which may not be an "afcad" type file, which means it won't include some things you can do with an "afcad" type program (see below).2. FSX AFCAD = An airport that has been modified using either AFX or AFD. Note as said above, this can also include buildings and structures now. Any files found in this library section will be airport areas only. Advantages of these airport files include being able to make all the runways active for takeoffs and landings, etc...something that can only be done with a program like AFX or AFD and not found in an "airport" package you might download from the FSX Scenery library section (unless the author included a separate "afcad" file with the "scenery" package).Hope this helps clear things up a bit for you.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest JimC1702

It can be confusing. I've mainly posted my airport files in the AFCAD section, because I felt the main thing was the correct parking spaces and assignments, as well as correct taxiways and aprons. However, I also add additional or replacement buildings, static vehicles, water towers, light poles, parking lots, etc. as appropriate. In that sense, they might be considered scenery.Avsim might consider a change to the Library structure to some naming convention other than AFCAD for airports and Scenery for non-airport sceneries. Just an idea.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

>Avsim might consider a change to the Library structure to some>naming convention other than AFCAD for airports and Scenery>for non-airport sceneries. Just an idea.I agree. I tend to ignore any file that is classified as an AFCAD since I usually associate it with no scenery (from the FS9 days), just reworked parking which I have no need for.Hopefully from now on, users that upload any "AFCAD" file that includes objects can place it in the scenery class instead.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Heck. I've used ADE to create scenery and change landclass for an entire city along with the airport changes. It would certainly be inappropriate to upload it under AFCAD even though it includes the usual airport corrections. While the scenery objects are in the airport .bgl, ADE produces a separate .bgl for the landclass changes.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

The lines between old "AFCAD" scenery and other types of scenery are now very blurred. There ought to be only one FSX scenery area here at AVSIM.Example of the problems this causes: Many people are confused by the current file library structure and e-mailed me that they didn't think there was an FSX AFCAD file for KDFW. When in reality, there was, it was with the DFW Terminal D scenery I made. Yet a user carefully scanning the FSX AFCAD section would never see it there! They would have to look in the FSX Scenery file section.Another example of the problems this causes: Just lately I saw a thread where someone said "there's no AFCAD's for FSX!". This is part of the reason why...many of them are in the FSX Scenery file area instead.It should be all combined I say.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The other problem is the difference between AFD and AFX produced "afcads". If you use AFX to open an AFD-produced one, you start getting "warning messages" about things in the "afcad" being removed, deleted, not shown, etc. That no doubt will confuse the heck out of people unfamiliar with the two programs. It can even ruin the "afcad" if they save it the wrong way using the program it wasn't produced with.There needs to be a standard "naming convention" applied for "afcads" nowadays. The file name should include either "AFX" or "AFD" in it, and the download preview from the author should also specify which program was used to develop the "afcad". FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest JimC1702

Great points, FalconAF. It was diecussed previously on the Scenery Designer forum that there should be a naming convention for "afcad" files. I'd like to see the airport identifier first, then AFX, or ADE, etc. in the file name. By putting the identifier first, the user can easily scan his installed airports in his Scenery file to make sure he doesn't have any duplicates which would leasd to issues.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

I agree that it has been a continuing problem. I think the trend is to provide airport scenery for FSX in the "FSX scenery" library category, since it now is so easy to modify all aspects of the airport environment.scott s..

Thanks to all who responded, I now understand why there are two.Next question, I have My Traffic X, if I download and install updated files for parking, take off's and landings, will that mess up MTX or will MTX adjust to the new information that was in the new AFCAD files and I think most of those are .blg files.The reason that I am asking is becuase I downloaded an update for Chicago Midway and now there does not seem to be any traffic, especially Southwest and with MTX there sould be some Southwest planes at Midway.Regards,Rod

You might want to start a new thread on the Midway issue to get more exposure. If your airport file has all the parking assigned with nothing for Southwest, I expect the incoming flights will disappear after landing. If we knew the file name and where you got it, someone could check it and comment. I don't understand what kind of file updates "parking, take off's and landings". Is this an MTX update?ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

>I'd like to see the airport identifier first, then AFX, or ADE, etc. in the file name. Which is the default file name format for ADE .bgls.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Art,The Midway update was an update to the airport that I downloaded from the scenery section on this site. MTX stands for My Traffic X.To rephrase my question, would anything in the update that I downloaded from this site cause My Traffic X to not be able to have Southwest planes at Midway?Rod

Rod, I checked and found that my Midway file is FSX_KMDW_ADE_CW downloaded from AVSIM. There are lots of gates assigned to SWA, and I have plenty of Southwest planes parked at the gates. I am using WOAI rather than MTX.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art