Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Anyone use American Flyer's IFR Refresher "Missions"

Guest fsxmissionguy

I can give you a general idea. Making missions is easy!Most of the missions that I've designed take a minimum of 40 man hours for a basic mission. Anything complex (extensive branching, extensive error checking, multiple outcomes, etc.) can exponentially increase mission-building time. The process I follow is essentially:1) Writing a synopsis encompassing the basic mission plot, weather, locations, etc. As part of this process, I scout locations, consider whether I have appropriate scenery, decide what failures I might want to include and whether the mission will have multiple outcomes.2) I then fly the mission in my mind while I fly the aircraft in the simulator. Basically, I take my initial idea, and then fly in Free Flight imagining what the script might need to say, figuring out where major plot points might take place. If the plot will depend on the landscape, I try to scout appropriate locations. This process usually allowd me to move to step 3.3) Scripting. I write the entire mission script from start to finish, in one sitting. This process is important, as it allows me to flesh out the true purpose of the mission (is it a tutorial?, purely entertainment?, an attempt to show off in-game scenery? test pilot knowledge?) At this stage, I can begin preplanning the programming to get a basic idea how difficult the mission is going to be. This isn't the final script either, but approximates the completed mission. The script will change during the actual programming as you can never really remember everything that might come up.4) Make a movie! A lot of my mission work entails building sets, planning camera moves, designing the cutscenes, etc. It's a lot like what I imagine happens when a director is planning a movie storyboard. This part isn't required, but is the part of mission building where I get to be creative, so it's the part that I like.5) Doing the programming is next! See the SDK for how to build action-oriented software. It's a lot like building a database GUI, frankly. I don't particularly care for programming, so this part is drudgery for me. The script gets improved during this process to encompass things I didn't think of while writing, or taking advantage of what occurs in the simulation while I'm flying.6) Sound editing is next. 50% of the aura you create in the mission will be how convincing your dialogue files sound (not just what is said, but how it is said, and how the sound effects are done.) Foley work begins here also.7) I now begin bug-testing in earnest, looking for ways that the player can either a) make a mistake that leads to nothing happening, or :( cheat.8) Art is next. There are art assets that are required to make the mission look professionally designed. I enjoy this part also, but it does require some previous art experience to make it look seamless.9) Distribution is next. You have to decide how you want to distribute your mission (.zip file? installer? have you written documentation?)10) Will you provide tech support for the mission itself? The install?Did I say making missions was a snap? As you can see, it can be quite a complex undertaking ... which is why there are about 10 people in the world who do it (my guess).Cheers,

I'm saving this, thanks- you make it sould so easy :) Step 5. is the one challenge for me, but I guess I should read the SDK first !Thanks, Bruce.

Is that in the AVSIM library Geof?Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Doug,I've got the American Flyers IFR Refresher course and have flown the flights a number of times now.Let me preface with I am a real world pilot licensed since 1986 and have time in fifteen different aircraft types. I am not instrument rated but have been through mock IFR written tests numerous times with passing scores. When I was younger I flew a day VFR aircraft which I built and didn't feel I needed the IFR rating. Now I don't have the time to commit to getting the rating but if I purchase another aircraft which my wife and I are negotiating now I will get the rating.I personally like the AF Refresher course, while I understand to simmers it seems expensive, compared to real world training it is an incredible value. There are a total of 13 flight scenarios taking about 20 hours to complete starting with straight and level, climbs and descents in IFR weather and working their way up to a final three stage IFR cross country with precision, non-precision and GPS approaches. Your virtual instructor is talking you through each progressive stage and as you work through the courses you will find he expects you to know things from the previous lessons. Put yourself behind a big moniter in the VC with Track IR or behind a 2d moniter and either way you have a valuable learning experience. I do suggest upgrading the steam gauges in the Cessna with Reality XP's FLN and FLT since their movement is far more realistic. You already have Mindstar's G1000 which I also recommend for G1000 simulation... you just have to change the aircraft listed in the .flt file to use the G1000 equipped aircraft and don't bother flying the NDB lessons. In the AVSIM review I wrote for Jeppesen's SimCharts I mentioned this software and show screenshots of the approaches with the Jeppesen overlays. Link to review: http://www.avsim.com/pages/1207/Jeppesen/Jeppesen.htm

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I'm bumping this to make sure Doug (the OP) doesn't miss my response.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest dougwells

Thanks everyone for the great responses. What a great discussion this has developed into.I did see your positive comments on the American Flyer Course in your SimCharts review (bought the Simcharts....LOVE 'EM!). Would you classify the American Flyer's Course as "missions"? Sounds like you where pretty impressed with them.I'm a RW instrument pilot and a CFII. In fact, I use to teach instrument students and was fortunate enough to have students dedicated enough that, over the years, all 10 of my instrument students passed on their first checkride. I'm just looking for something to help keep my skills sharp and to, perhaps, pick up a new trick or two.Thanks for making me feel so welcome here. This forum is wonderful!

Hi Doug,I agree, a good thread.I see that we ahare the Dakota as a favorite. Is far as IFR is concerned, what numbers do you use for S&L at the FAF and descending on approach? I've been trying to slow her down to 90 knots and it's hard, I can do it but MP is almost at the minimum, 2 notches of flaps, not quite in the linear operating range :)I would love to have an IPC in FSX with enough variables in wx and routines that each time you did it, it was a unique challenge, and maybe some different airports to mix it up too. I'm gonna have to figure those missions out :)Thanks, Bruce.

The AF IFR Refresher is written in adventure language although I know the CFII that created them has been working on making them in mission language for FSX. The present files will work in FSX or FS9. The advantage being when you are doing partial panel work mission language will allow the computer to fail your vacuum pump, in the adventure you have to do the key strokes. One of the reasons I like the RXP FLT and FLN gauges along with this is you have the option of covering the failed gauge. I have tried substituting the FS9 Dreamfleet Archer for the Cessna 172 in the flights and it works quite well for that since the speeds are so similar. As I stated they feel more like taking a flight with an instructor next to you. I've looked into the files and all the sound recordings and they were a hefty bit of work to put together. When you consider they are basically equivalent to recording the flights you would take in IR training and then simulating them with MSFS it makes them as real as you can find.I have a full CatII sim at my home with the FAA certified X-Plane so can log time if a CFII is present. These courses for MSFS are actually much more realistic and enjoyable than using the FAA certified setup. I would love to see a day when a course like this, with the right hardware and with a real time internet linked CFII would be allowed for logging sim time towards a rating.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest dougwells

Zane, thank you for another thoughtful and helpful reply. I'm going to take the plunge and buy the program in the next week or two. Thank you for sharing enough information so that I could make an informed decision. A a little aside and something to look forward to this weekend.... As a CFII, I've was asked to prototype a new device that uses Microsoft's FSX "cousin" (EPP? ERP?). I'll share some VERY interesting news on the FAA Certification of MS' simulator sometime this weekend. Likely Saturday.Bruce. I don't recall having the same issue. I think I throttle back to ~ 17-19" MP and 2400 RPM. I'll check this weekend during my flights and report back.Best to all!

Doug, I'd be interested if you can purchase the product without having to buy the CH yoke and FSX, both of whichh I have already (I assume that most of us do too); and if some discounted upgrade path exists for the "mission" version later.Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Bruce,They had an option to buy without the yoke when I purchased. It still came with FS2004 which I gave to my cousin, he was happy ;).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks Zane and Doug. It looks like there are 11 or 12 lessons, from what I can see. Thnaks, Bruce.