Sign in to follow this  
michal

PMDG MD-11 Desktop Crashes ---SOLVED

I posted a problem in the PMDG forum concerning the new MD-11. The problem concerned OOM and crashes to the desktop. The response was that I should enable the 3Gb switch which might solve the problem.There are now a number of people who are having the same problem. It would also appear that PMDG developed and optimized the aircraft using XP - that at least is the impression they give.The problem I have is Vista and FSX. Reading about use of the 3Gb switch I see a great deal of doubt on the part of users that this switch will solve OOM problems while using FSX - at least under Vista 32-bit.Now, my system is a high-end dual-core, 4Gb RAM system using a 8800 Ultra graphics card. As I said above, my OS is Vista 32-bit. PMDG stopped responding to the thread I posted so I don't know what (if anything) they might do to address this problem.Note: I run their B744 under Vista without problems.I'm not posting this message to cause users to not purchase the new MD-11. It is a fantastic product. But before you plunk down 80USD you might want to wait until there is a response from PMDG about this issue - other than use the 3Gb switch under Vista. Note: In my case I'm out more than 200USD as I also purchased the training materials. Right now I can't use the aircraft.Request this posting to be bumped until we get a response from PMDG.Frank

>I posted a problem in the PMDG forum concerning the new>MD-11. The problem concerned OOM and crashes to the desktop. >The response was that I should enable the 3Gb switch which>might solve the problem.>>There are now a number of people who are having the same>problem. It would also appear that PMDG developed and>optimized the aircraft using XP - that at least is the>impression they give.>>The problem I have is Vista and FSX. Reading about use of the>3Gb switch I see a great deal of doubt on the part of users>that this switch will solve OOM problems while using FSX - at>least under Vista 32-bit.>>Now, my system is a high-end dual-core, 4Gb RAM system using a>8800 Ultra graphics card. As I said above, my OS is Vista>32-bit. PMDG stopped responding to the thread I posted so I>don't know what (if anything) they might do to address this>problem.>>Note: I run their B744 under Vista without problems.>>I'm not posting this message to cause users to not purchase>the new MD-11. It is a fantastic product. But before you>plunk down 80USD you might want to wait until there is aFrank,If you are using Vista-32.You SHOULD use the /3GB or the increaseuserva.It is mandatory with high-end add-ons and it doesn't harm your system. The fact that you have 4gb doesn't change anything.We are talking about virtual adress space here not physical RAM.So don't wait and do it,I am sure you won't regret it.Yves

Yves,Well, I'm give this a try and report back.ThanksFrank

Well, I didn't think it was possible but after I set the 3Gb switch I was able to access the aircraft without FSX crashing to the desktop. I haven't set up a proper flight yet but the system was stable while the aircraft was loaded.So, on to the learning curve for MD-11 systems.Thanks for your response.Frank

Thanks for the heads up Franck.I have modified the title of your thread.I think you'll understand :--)Best regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

>Well, I didn't think it was possible but after I set the 3Gb>switch I was able to access the aircraft without FSX crashing>to the desktop. I haven't set up a proper flight yet but the>system was stable while the aircraft was loaded.>>So, on to the learning curve for MD-11 systems.>>Thanks for your response.>>FrankHappy for you Frank,I told you that you won't regret it.BTW: Do you recommend the 120$ purchase for the MD-11 manuals,is it worth it?Yves

Frank for the record I can report that I am running the MD-11 under Vista 64 with zero problems. I've flown the MD-11 in the sim probably 6 hours so far.Since our hardware is so similar, one logical conclusion to draw would seem to indicate that it is a Vista 32 issue or some sort. ??I don't quite understand the thread title--which says the issue was solved--and yet I didn't read anything in this thread that said you solved it. ??RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Rhett,Frank wrote:"Well, I didn't think it was possible but after I set the 3Gb switch I was able to access the aircraft without FSX crashing to the desktop. I haven't set up a proper flight yet but the system was stable while the aircraft was loaded.So, on to the learning curve for MD-11 systems."That's why I changed the thread title.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest PPSFA

$120 for the MANUALS????? XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

>$120 for the MANUALS????? And what's so shocking???? Actually for 1400+ pages worth of documentation on quality paper, all the hard resin binders, color tabs, rings it sounds outright cheap. When I once attempted to purchase Beechcraft Hawker 800XP (biz jet) full set of documentation it was around $1300 over 10 years ago. These are not comics books you can get for $2.95.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest PPSFA

If I'm going to buy real manuals, I will be sitting in a real plane. Last I knew this was a 'sim', and thats stretching it, to each his own I guess. :-)

Ah, ok I see. I didn't think just loading the aircraft successfully was "solved", I thought him completing a 1-2-3 hour flight would be "solved". :)As an aside, I know Frank Bass runs such a great AI environment, however the cost of that is memory usage. Perhaps this contributed to the crashes. ??RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi,Can somebody tell me how to add the 3GB switch? I've tried the instructions in the PMDG introduction, but thats only for XP, not for Vista...

>If I'm going to buy real manuals, I will be sitting in a real>plane. Last I knew this was a 'sim', and thats stretching it,>to each his own I guess. :-)You don't have to purchase the real manuals. The aircraft comes with .pdf versions, and you can also download them from the PMDG website. :)