Sign in to follow this  
teropa

Top-Down key not working

After a reformat of my HDD and reinstall of FSX Acceleration, I cannot get my top down view to work using the keyboard key.Prior to reformat it was set to F12. Now F12 doesn't work, neither does any key I assign to top-down view. Any ideas?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Goto: Documents & Settingsuserapplication dataMicrosoftFSXControls folder:open: Standard.xmlSearch: F12you should find... F12VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_4(mine is at line 849)This defines what you see in the settings menu for controls - button/key assignments.The sim dialog should match what you see in the xml file.in the controls dialog I see:View camera 4 (select) | F12So if this is all right then F12 should pull up whatever is defined with camera.cfg hotkey 4 entry.Camera definition 006 (top down view) should have the following entry at or near the bottom:HotKeySelect=4Normally I would just say "restore defaults" but if the source xml code is corrupted, then you won't get a restored setup. Best check it manually first. One of these parameters may be missing or set to a different value.If everything LOOKS ok, then I'd delete the F12 key assignment and then re-assign it. That approach has fixed issues like this for others.Best of luck!!Loyd

I changed it Ctrl+s I forgot to mentionBut I search ctrl+s and all I got was this:CTRL+SVIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_START

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Mine doesn't have the 4, it says "select start"F12VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_STARTI checked the camera.cfg and #4 is indeed top down viewBut it doesn't work.I think the problem is with the SELECT START...how can I fix this?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Ryan,my default standard.xml has NO "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_START" entry at all. Only the the 4 numbered versions...VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_2etcDo you have any of these; like maybe 1 through 3 but only 4 missing. if F9 - F11 work, they'll have to be in the xml file. I bet if you change the "START" to "4", things will be back to normal.LL

SELECT_START means the next key you press will select the view to use, assuming the next key is one of the numbers across the top of the keyboard - so for view #4, you would press F12 and then 4.

Interesting...I actually ended up changing it to 4, so I press F12 and the top down appears

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Guest ftrusky

Curious, I just ran into the same problem after installing a rently purchased "Gold Edition" FSX/Accel on Vista 64 on a brand new PC. My old PC is still up and running alongside it with XP and never experienced this particular issue.Thanks for the solution.

I just noticed this as well.Made a fresh FSX install on a new machine. Top-down key doesn't work at all...Tero

PPL(A)