Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Need some help with the FSX main texture folder

Hi fellow captains!After using different addons for sky and cloud textures like ASX/X Graphics and FEX it feels like my FSX texture folder has become a bit "dirty" and for that reason I decided I would like to revert back to a "clean" texture folder the way it is right after installing FSX out of the box. To do this and to avoid having to reinstall FSX from scratch I thought I could simply copy the main FSX texture folder from my son's FSX installation since he hasn't any addons installed but I also have GEX and Ultimate Terrain installed and those I want to keep and guess they both install stuff in the main FSX texture folder...?When it comes to GEX I don't worry since you have the option in GEX to 'Install selected options' and guess I can simply re-run that but for Ultimate Terrain on the other hand I'm not quite sure not only where it places it's files but also how to reinstall them or do I need to reinstall Ultimate Terrain itself to do that?Thanks in advance for any help how to accomplish what I'm trying to do!

Richard Åsberg

Guest firehawk44

"but for Ultimate Terrain on the other hand I'm not quite sure not only where it places it's files but also how to reinstall them or do I need to reinstall Ultimate Terrain itself to do that?"UT does not modify textures. UT files are located in the Scenery Folder. You shouldn't have to worry about UT when installing/uninstalling X Graphics or FEX.Best regards,Jim

OK, that's good news - thanks!Then I'll go ahead and replace my texture folder with the texture folder from my son's installation and then re-run the GEX install textures function and see what happens and if there is anything else missing I'm sure I will notice ;)And of course I'll also keep my original texture folder as a backup until I see everything is OK...

Richard Åsberg

>UT does not modify textures. UT files are located in the>Scenery Folder. You shouldn't have to worry about UT when>installing/uninstalling X Graphics or FEX.While it is true that UTX does not modify any of the default textures, it does add some for its own use in the FSX->Scenery->World->Texture folder. They all usually start with a filename of 'UT'.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Thanks for your input Jeff but in my case all seems to be good so far after replacing the texture folder and I have only touched the main texture folder directly beneth the FSX folder and nothing else.I wonder what usually ends up in the main texture folder because before replacing the texture folder it was about 350 MB and now it's only about 230 MB and quite honestly FSX looks more sharp and crisp than it did for a very long time :)

Richard Åsberg