Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

How to add passenger cabin window view on default a/c?

Guest s0436

On the default panel 738/A321 etc, is there a way to modify the panel to add passenger window wing views? Any advice on where to find such a view and how to install in the panel.cfg? Thanks

"Views" in the Panel config are from FS9 and before. FSX uses camera definitions in the Aircraft.cfg.The default Airbus 321 already has a left and right "passenger wing view". Copy the pattern to make more and/or adjust the default ones to a position more to your liking. Like aircraft versions, each new camera must have a unique name and also a unique guid.If we may be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.You may also get a running head start by reading about the cameras.cfg in the SDK materials (which are also on the Microsoft web site)Loyd

"Views" in the Panel config are from FS9 and before. FSX uses camera definitions in the Aircraft.cfg.The default Airbus 321 already has a left and right "passenger wing view". Copy the pattern to make more and/or adjust the default ones to a position more to your liking. Like aircraft versions, each new camera must have a unique name and also a unique guid.If we may be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.You may also get a running head start by reading about the cameras.cfg in the SDK materials (which are also on the Microsoft web site)Loyd

Guest s0436

I've found the bmp file I want of a passenger window view with the window frame that I took from an add-on panel (I prefer the default panel for the main). What I want to do for the default panel is to substitute say the back right/left views in the VC for this bmp file of a cabin window, so it will show in real time the view outside for passengers perhaps showing the wing or engine too. How can I install this? Thanks

Guest s0436

Well that's not going to work. Can anyone help me to change the following in my aircraft.cfg of the default 738 so that I can use a bmp file of a passenger window frame and view instead, instead of just having a windowless camera view as is the case normally in the default?[CameraDefinition.0]Title=Right Side WindowGuid = {54F54B8A-3EC2-2D4E-8D10-B8F9D0F16ACC}Description = View of the right wing from the passenger cabinOrigin = CenterSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.8ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 3.2, 1.8, -5InitialPbh = 5, 0, 100XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=Minimum

>Well that's not going to work. Can anyone help me to change>the following in my aircraft.cfg of the default 738 so that I>can use a bmp file of a passenger window frame and view>instead, instead of just having a windowless camera view as is>the case normally in the default?You cannot do what you want...FSX "cameras" use only the 3d interior model. If the "window frame" doesn't exist in the model, then you obviously won't see it...Static .bmp files cannot be used in the 3d camera system. Period.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest s0436

Thanks. So is there a way to substitute the VC 'views' for my custom bmp?>>You cannot do what you want...>>FSX "cameras" use only the 3d interior model. If the "window>frame" doesn't exist in the model, then you obviously won't>see it...>>Static .bmp files cannot be used in the 3d camera system.>Period.

Guest jshyluk

.BMP files can be used in the 3D camera. It's very possible, but it's hard work.I use as my example the AlphaSim SR-71 Blackbird. The RSO camera view is a 2D image of a computer screen. The screen has been cut out. A 3D camera looks through the hole in the image, and simulates the view of a high-altitude surveillance camera. An active button on the screem triggers the FSX "take a screenshot" event. It's an unbelievably cool work-around. First, here's my review of the SR-71. Please look closely at the RSO pictures.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0708/AlphaSim3/SR71.htm***SPOILER ALERT***The way that AlphaSim modelled the RSO camera is really ingenious. It depends, though, that the camera stays steady, so a quick look around with the TrackIR shows all of the pieces behind the scenes. I wanted very much to show this in my review, but I decided against it, as it would add a lot of extra information I felt I did not need.First of all, the SR-71 cockpit is very cramped, which actually helps us. You cannot see out of the back of the cockpit. The RSO screen is placed well behind the bulkhead of the cockpit. The 3D cockpit model only models the cockpit itself, there are no extra polygons for the hull of the aircraft aft of the cockpit. So the RSO screen is placed facing down, where the floor would be.A camera view is placed above the RSO screen so that the edges of the screen go beyond the camera view. That way, the illusion is that you are sitting in the RSO seat behind the pilot. Really, though, you are on your belly, looking out of the bottom of the aircraft.The supremely cool thing is that when the screen is on, you see what the camera sees, but when the screen is off, you see a reflection of yourself in a pressurized flight suit. How does that work? There is another 2D image placed in the hole left by the screen. The image is of the reflected RSO in a flight suit. The image completely covers the hole. A switch controls the animation of this 2D reflection image. When you "turn the screen on", the RSO flight suit image quickly slides off to one side, unblocking the view through the hole of the screen image. When you "turn the screen off", the RSO image slides quickly back into place, and all you see is your "reflection". All of this is incredibly cool, and all of this is terribly apparent with a TrackIR.So, to create a wing view, you are going to need a 3D cockpit model that you can alter. That, in my opinion, is the hard part. The model must have a full bulkhead that blocks the view out the back, so the default FSX Learjet is way out of the question.You take your window .BMP and place it where the wing view would be along the fuselage. Probably, there will be no wing model, so you will either have to create one, or draw on into your .BMP. Then you place your camera so that it looks out of the window. As long as you don't pan the camera view around, you will get a window view. If you can animate, you could use the same technology that is in the SR-71, and animate a window shade that could be raised and lowered. As I said at the top, this would be a lot of hard work. I am making it sound simple, but I certainly don't have the time or energy to try this out for myself. And of course, it's not my idea, thank the talented crew at AlphaSim for coming up with this trick.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>Thanks. So is there a way to substitute the VC 'views' for>my custom bmp?Just what part of "no" wasn't clear?The method Jeff describes so eloquently is marred by one fatal flaw......you must have the source code for the interior model and do a lot of fiddly work to get something working.IOW, it is not something anyone but the owner of the source code could accomplish.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator