Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

Windows Vista 64 SLOW Network Performance

Guest byoung

I have tried other technical forums with no luck. But this forum has probably the most gurus per capita! I am having problems with network performance, copying and updating files on shared drives via Vista 32 to Vista 64 machine. It causes Simconnect timeouts (FSX SDK examples), consitantly. A 1K file is taking 3-5 seconds to copy on the same network shared folder. From a XP machine to Vista 64, it improves a little. Network Discovery is stuck on Custom, I have followed all possible resolutions I have come across, such as enabling and disabling various services, but to no avail. I have even contacted my router company to see if they have any documented issues. This happens with wireless as well as hard wired configurations, it makes no difference. I have read that Microsoft is trying to do some IP compression type algorythms to reduce network traffic, but it seems to be backfiring as far as performance.I hope this is the correct forum, it is not really hardware, but software oriented.Thanks in advance!Barry

As a starting point, do both Vista PCs have Vista SP1 and all Windows Updates applied?

As another starting point, with the wireless, make sure your antenna(s) are connected and in good spots. (I know, sounds simple, but happens a lot with wireless nets).RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest byoung

Thanks for the reply.I checked and my FSX computer hasn't had SP1 appleid, I am looking into that now. I thought I had applied all of the updates to that system. But I checked and SP1 hasn't been applied for some weird reason. Wireless is N band and the computer is in the same room as the router. I really like what Vista 64 does for FSX. But the NETWORK bottleneck I am dealing with is frustrating!Thanks for the help. I'll post my results.Barry

Guest tatest

Slow on moves and copies? What about reads over the network?I think I recall that Vista added a file verification or some sort of journaling system to writes over the network, before considering the transaction completed, rather than just send it to write cache and consider it done, a la earlier Windows versions. Something corporate networking customers wanted, so it might even be turned off in Home Edition.I don't know if this is something that can be turned off, if a customer has a higher priority for speed than for file integrity.

Guest byoung

I think it is bottlenecking on primarily writes. I think reads are OK. But it seems to be very lagging performance wise when switching folders on a network shared drive, and drilling down through file manager.Maybe someone will chime in on away to turn this journal feature off. I am also going to make sure that I have SP1 installed and see if that makes any difference.

One of the biggest issues with Vista, pre-SP1 was the file moving/copying performance. Ensuring SP1 and all updates post SP1 are installed should improve the situation considerably.

I run a Vista 64/32 bit network as well and can confirm that the performance is much better after both PCs were updated to SP1.Heiko

Guest byoung

SP1 did have a favorable impact. But issues remain. It might be the best I can get for now. I am going to continue testing.I'll report back my findings.Thanks everyone for your help!Barry

Barry, see my system specs below. I also run a Vista 64 laptop. The desktop, described below, is linked into a Linksys wireless router via ethernet. The laptop is linked in via wireless and is used primarily from my den downstairs (router is in office on second floor). Both have the latest updates, including SP1. On transfer from laptop to desktop via wireless lan, I am getting around 2 megs/second transfer rate. The only hint I can give is to shut down the useless User Access Control. That seemed to cause all kinds of unintended consequences (I have not clue as to whether it will fix your transfer issue, but it can't hurt).

Guest byoung

Thanks Tom!I'll give that a try. I am off to do more testing.Take care!Barry

Guest byoung

Thanks for the information. I believe Simconnect uses IPv4. Maybe it is confused or having to go through the other layer, thus causing the performance slowdown. I am wondering if Simconnect can use IPv6? I believe it is a changable parameter in the Simconnect configuration file.Thanks again! I'll test it this evening and report back.Barry

Guest byoung

I made the change unchecking IPv6 protocol. Does SimConnect support the IPv6 protocol? SimConnect seems to be working OK under IPv4.Vista is really frustrating me... AS far as networking. I like it for FSX and what it adds to performance. I open a 1K file on the Vista 64 OS shared folder, I change one character, and Save it out, and it takes 2-5 (sometimes longer) seconds to save it. What the heck is going on here that saving out less that a 1K file even over a network is taking SOOOOO long! I can do the same update from an XP machine and the performance is WAY better. But from Vista to Vista is where the bottleneck is.Also, I noticed on the folder when I right click properties, that the attributes say READ ONLY, yet I am able to write to and copy files in that folder (VERY SLOW NETWORK PERFORMANCE I MIGHT ADD!!!!!!). I uncheck the READ ONLY and it seems to apply the ATTRIBUTUE. When I list the folder properties again, NO CHANGE!!! I am administrator! There has to be some other OPTION that needs to be enabled / disabled that I am missing!ANY HELP would be really appreciated!Thanks!