Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

vista 64 bit

Guest dbw2

Just got a new computer, hi end components, vista 64 is the o/s....Performance is very poor....very low frame ratesI've been looking for any fixes and so far no luck.Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.Thanks,Dave

I don't believe Vista 64bit is the issue, I am running my "high end" pc since day 1 on this OS with succes.To better understand your problem, we'll need to know more : - CPU - amount and type(speed) of installed memory- video card make + driver- motherboard make + BIOS- resolutionAbove will help us determine what you qualify as a high end system.Next questions will see if you are running in a bottleneck : - what antivirus are you running ?- are you using AlicrityPC to free up resources ? This helped a lot.- How are the settings in your setup ? Road and air traffic are a big burden, if they are 100%, you will have troubles.- same for water effects, try lowering it- very important : if running in normal DX9 mode : turn bloom off ! - what plane are you flying ? Do you have the same problem if you fly the trike ?Now I think of it : what do you call bad performance ? For example, with my quad core running at 2,83 GHZ at JFK, I can maintain steady 15 FPS. In a rural environment, I get between 25 and 30 FPS, without stutters, except when realworld weather is being downloaded.Even with current hardware, FSX will never run at 90FPS with all options maximized. Jan

Guest dbw2

Hi end laptop...QX9300 quad coreati 3870 sli (2 cards)4 gigs ram1920x1200 resavg 8.0 freevista 64 bit business ultimate2x320 raidI had fsx on my last laptop, somewhat less powerWith default aircraft running in a low scenery demand place (WInnipeg) frames ranged from low single digits to high teens. With similar settings on my previous machine (xp pro) the fps were high. Plus the previous machine had uts, my traffic x, a weather program, hight end aircraft like pmdg 747 and it ran good.Bloom is off.Jan, any suggestions would be most appreciated. Many thanks,Dave

Guest dbw2

Jan,Also this is a bear bones install of fsx with only sp1.I also tried fsx + acceleration first doing and install of acceleration on a clean fsx, same fps numbers. Put on the pmdg 747 and low single digit frames,Dave

Laptop?Try only one card. FSX does not benifit from SLI. SP2 is better on many machines.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

From your specs there is one thing that jumps out at me as a framerate killer and that is the ATI 3870. If you fly in any type of cloud cover at all your framerates will die with that card.Trust me, I have a brand new 3870X2 sitting in its box.Are you overclocking your CPU?? and what are the slider settings you are trying to run FSX at?

Guest dbw2

Hi again,Thanks very much for the replies. This type of unit has achieved 3d06 scores close to 15000 -my previous one was 10000+. I am wondering if there is a vista 64 issue here.The comment about the video card is interesting......this unit is built by a company that does nothing but gaming laptops......my previous one was from the same company and it was a good machine. I would think they have researched it out pretty good......Are there any vista 64 patches available......I have found all the updates that are needed for vista I think but maybe there is a sfs specific patch of some kind - can't fine one though.Please keep suggestions coming, thanks,Dave

I don't have Vista, however when XP came out there were a number of sites that described how to "tune" XP for maximum gaming performance, and thre still are many guides to enhancing XP. Given that Vista presumably comes with it's own fair share of "bloatware",you might find some enhancements available at similar sites for Vista, I'm not sure. Bruce.

>The comment about the video card is interesting......this unit is built by a company that does nothing but gaming laptops......my previous one was from the same company and it was a good machine. I would think they have researched it out pretty good......Dave,I am just trying to help you m8. I myself am running Vista64. I do not dispute that the company that built your laptop builds nothing but gaming rigs. However, your rig is not built specifically for FSX if it were, and the company that built your laptop did their homework, it would not contain an ATI 3870 graphics card. The hardware cannot handle clouds and no amount of driver updates can fix it.The Radeon 3800 series had a serious flaw called texture low fill-rate associated with the Texture Memory Units. This problem was addressed with new hardware onboard for the 4800 series cards.If you search the forums you will find many posts about the abmismal performance of the 3870 within FSX.Again, what slider settings are you trying to run FSX at with your new PC?

Guest dbw2

Thanks, Sarge,Interesting.....4870's when they become available may be the way to go.I've experimented with things maxed out and with the fsx default settings. Not good compared with the previous machine but I have total faith(a rare thing these days) in the company I bought from so we'll see how it all plays out.I will look into comments re the 3870's and fsx.All the best,Dave

I strongly have to disagree here. I'm having no problems with the ATI 3870 and clouds. Sliders for clouds are set at max distance and high coverage. Other settings: Scenery high dense, autogen dense. Water 1x high. At EBBR or LHBP (Aerosoft) 60% WOAI in the PMDG MD11 still over 15 fps. Cloud coverage doesn't change much on that.I'm also on 64b Vista and the CPU is just a E6850 duo. Memory 800 Hz.There's something else in his setup that causes low performance: Videodriver, bios?Regards, Gerrit