Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

New ATC behavior???

I was just taking a flight with the PMDG MD-11 (FedEx) between KMEM and KMCO. I was assigned a visual approach to runway 36L at KMCO. After being cleared for that approach and entering final, It then without any request from me told me to climb to 5000 and reassigned me ILS Runway 18R. Which I guess may actually happen in real life if the winds have changed, but in all my years flying sims, I've never seen that behavior in MSFS. Not unless a missed approach was called by me which it was not. A check of the winds showed they did not change and was still North to South. (ASX was the Weather generator) Has anyone else seen this happen??

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

No, but I am having a hard time getting altitudes and ATC to work well with the MD-11. ATC assigns me all sorts of altitudes, none of which are of course in my flight plan. The problem is, how can you predict what altitudes ATC will assign you? You can't! That is the problem.I need a tutorial for dummies with ATC.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

Thought it was just me.I have not flown into many airports but I did notice at a few I was given a different runnway to land on than other planes.I was also given the shortest one of 3 available at one airport.So lets give the heavy md11 the 5000 footer with the xwind and the 172 the 9500 footer with overrun.Ive said it before. Moe,Larry and Curly are running the ATC!

In FS2004, the ATC would lock a runway if there were any incoming active aircraft - user or AI - even 100 miles out, or any AI on the airport scheduled to takeoff in 15 min or less.That prevented turning the airport based upon wind changes in many cases.After many complaints, FSX did away with that runway lock, so the airport can change directions quickly based upon winds.However, what you describe is not the normal behavior. Normally, you and the AI aircraft will land on Rwy 36L and see other aircraft landing and taking off on Rwy 18R.One thing I have observed in FSX is what looks like a latency based upon the weather.Basically when an airport is loaded, the runways used and assigned come from the weather at the previous airport, or the saved file.Only after weather is updated does the runway direction change.That could be what happened in your case. As you flew into the airport area - you were assigned Rwy 36L when the airport was loaded as you approached. When your weather updated, the math said Rwy 18R was the active runway and you were directed to Rwy 18R.Since 18R has an ILS and 36L does not - 18R will always be preferred runway in FAA light and variable winds - those under 12 kts.

Hi Tom,A somewhat similar thread is at the PMDG forum with regard to ILS landing accuracy. It seems the MD-11 is always landing left of centerline by 100 ft. The solution from PMDG is to run the F1 Registry Repair tool and according to the poster in the thread it solved their problem.You may want to give it a try.http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=libraryRegards,Bob

>Hi Tom,>>A somewhat similar thread is at the PMDG forum with regard to>ILS landing accuracy. It seems the MD-11 is always landing>left of centerline by 100 ft. The solution from PMDG is to>run the F1 Registry Repair tool and according to the poster in>the thread it solved their problem.>>You may want to give it a try.>>http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library>>Regards,>>BobYeah! That's the fix I found for that problem for the 744X! (Actually I found out later, someone else found it first for the FS2004 744, but I found the fix worked for FSX too!) I fixed that with the 744X and so far, I don't have that issue with the MD11X. This was a visual approach to Runway 36L which does not have an ILS. I was cleared for approach by tower, but not yet cleared to land, when I was instructed to turn 340, climb to 5000, and cleared for ILS Runway 18R. I sometimes get a different runway if I initiate a missed approach, but I was touching nothing at the time, as I was set on Autoland. Plus there was no verbal (or text) missed approach call which would have occurred if I had somehow inadvertently called missed! I tried the flight again, but so far it hasn't happened again. So maybe it was just a fluke!!Thanks

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d