Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

ProFlight Panel

According to latest issue of Computer Pilot, shipping starts late this month for US$99.95

It looks cool but from what I can see they didn't include a flap handle-seems like that would have gone along with the gear-especially since their yoke which I own has neither.It also looks like it wouldn't work for a twin driver to piggy back two (two gear handles-double switches).GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Just Got Mine In today, Noticed One thing right Off that I dont like, FSUIPC does not see it. It works on GA planes but does not seem to have the ability to reprogram the switches. I will let you more when i try it tonight.

I look forward to your review. I have given it some serious consideration, but as Geof notes, it lacks the capabilities for full twin-engine immersion....at least apparently so. For the price, however, it seems like something I need.

Guest dougwells

I received my Saitek Proflight Panel from BestBuy earlier this week (on sale for $89).Overall - I really like the unit. It is well built and attaches nicely to the superb Saitek control yoke.Installation- relatively simple. One thing I learned was I had to "manually launch the plugin" once I was in FSX. I initially did this prior to opening FSX and could not figure out why it did not work. - Once manually loaded plugin, most features worked well.Pros- Looks great and is well engineered to work with Saitek's yoke- Almost every switch works as advertised (see below)- Gear switch is great. If A/C has no gear, lights do not illuminate at all.- Well worth $99- Has additional side and top threaded attachment points (more panels to come???)Negatives- Switches are not backlit as initially advertised- Carb heat switch works funny. Turning the switch to "on" activates the button. To turn on, put switch to on. To turn off, must first move to off and then to on. Only the "on" side causes action.- Mag switch is funky. Seems to skip left mag. Off/Right/Both/Start all work as advertised. Left mag seems to be skipped (can get to it in a convoluted way but I'll likely just not use it)- Cowl flap switch doesn't seem to work- Cannot program buttons.Hope this summary helps. Again, I would spend the $99 in a second. A great lowcost addition to the flight simming experience.I haven't written in to the forum in about 6 weeks but have been following the posts. This forum is great! Thanks to everyone for their input.

I originally posted this in the hardware forum and will share it here also.The Pro Flight Switch Panel was designed for FSX only!! It is not treated as a standard controller. It is treated as a generic HID device. You cannot program the unit in any way shape or form (it has no programming software and FSUIPC will do nothing). It interfaces with FSX via simconnect. It will work fine for all Microsoft original aircraft. However all functions will not work with all (may work with some)addon aircraft such as PMDG or Level-D.IMHO Saitek did not do their homework properly prior to releasing this device. It has zero configurability so make sure and do your research before you purchase one.If all your going to fly is the stock Microsoft A/C it may be worth while otherwise there are much better options available for programmable control that are in the same price range as this unit

Guest dougwells

Good points.I did try the Saitek switch panel with 4 add-on aircraft.- Dreamfleet Dakota, Aphasim LongEZ and Eaglesoft SR22. Seemed to work great with the exception of my previously mentioned comments in this thread- FSD Piper SaratogaDid not work well with this plane (most of the switches did not work at all for this plane...). Sad because I fly a Saratoga in the RW and find myself flying the FSD Saratoga the most in FSX.It does seem strange that Saitek would make the unit so that it is not configurable. Their flight yoke and throttle quadrant are fully configurable. Why not make the switch panel as useful as their other tools?In any case, I'm still glad I bought switch panel and suspect alot of us simmers will enjoy it as well.....shortcomings and all!