Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Your advice: Ultimate Traffic or My Traffic?

Guest Mower

>MyTraffic is sometimes the AI aircraft disappear when lined up>too long at a runway, maybe that's supposed to happen to keep>things from piling up but it looks a bit funny when a plane is>lined up behind you and then it's gone the next minute.AFAIK this is a feature of FSX for exactly that reason since I see the same thing with UT2007.Over at the UT forums they are keeping quiet about new versions so I agree that I cannot be arsed to wait for vaporware and so may go for MT 5.2 as well.However, Traffic X is out and has some neat things like a "spotter" and the foloow me vehicle to tour the ramp with...though there is no mention of how these things affect FPS.At least with MT 5.2 there is (a) specific discussion about how it affects FPS and (:( an option to dumb down the grafix to allow for more FPS overhead (ie other add-ons).

More views on this would be great.I bought the v.5 version of My Traffic X, boxed.I've already paid for one upgrade, to 5.1b.I am now asked to pay again.Every other addon I can think of gives me free upgrades, so my first reaction is well... why?I think I did get a bonus from the first upgrade - nicer models, more FSX compatibility, a traffic board etc.But this time? Still haven't heard anything to persuade me to upgrade. Though frankly (even with the weaker pound) it's not going to ruin me financially; but the principle is there.So - can anyone say there's real extra value in the new upgrade? If so, I'll part with the cash, since I'm a v. happy MTX user. Though I do like the follow-me and spotter functions promised in the competition's kit. But FPS is key for me, and MTX delivers.I suppose it boils down to this: as a very happy MTX user, why upgrade? I need it sold to me a little.

Paul Skol

Guest Mower

I dunno about having to pay for 5.1b to 5.2, although you could argue they have to recoup those ongoing development costs. I get good vibes from MT though so I lean towards it, especially since they understand that many of us will run other mods with FSX and need FPS to spare.

>I suppose it boils down to this: as a very happy MTX user, why>upgrade? I need it sold to me a little.Paul,If your happy with MTX 5.1b and happy with your system performance. Do not upgrade. If on the other hand you want something that was redone to be fully FSX SP2 compliant (which translates into much better FSX performance) then get it. This is not just an incremental update to fix some minor errors. If it were called MyTrafficX 6.0 and you were given the option to upgrade for the same price would you??

Hi,I had bought MTX 5.1B a few month ago but never installed it until now.I find that my sim loading time has doubled and the FPS in highdetailed airports is very poor. Anybody running this addon on an E6600 processor and 2 gig memory, and a Nvidia 880GT card??? I have been a long time user of UT as well and liked it but that was on fs9. I noticed that there are very few arrivals and it takes a long time for them to spawn. To those who have done so, would I see better performance if I got the 5.2 version??? I am running about 25-50 % traffic, depending on where I am.Helmut

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

Maybe the thing to do is to think of them as expansion packs?My memory is a little dim, but as far as I recall 5.1b was a free expansion pack for 5.1, bringing the 747 and 777 FSX models to replace the FS9 versions, lots of new paints covering current and historic operators, and MyTrafficBoard.5.2 is a huge expansion in comparison, bringing 757, 767, DC10, MD11, CRJ, Embraer, ATP, ATR 42/72, DC-8, DC-9, 146 and challenger FSX models der, military and cargo derivatives of these, , better night lights for 737, MD8X and Dash8, plus a delta shaped vintage easter egg flying around the UK.FSX models are the way to go. They have better performance, more animations (I love the thrust reversers) and higher resolution textures than FS9. I never thought I would, but I spend as much time as a "virtual spotter" as I do a "virtual pilot" these days.If you look at the road map, the indications are that the next "expansion pack" will be free, focusing on Eastern bloc aircraft.

I have the same except Q6600 rather than E6600. Do you overclock? That will help a lot. Which airports in particular do you see poor performance?The extra loading time is FSX working through all the new aircraft definitions it has to work with.

Guest Mower

I never thought I would, but I>spend as much time as a "virtual spotter" as I do a "virtual>pilot" these days.Curious how you do that...?

>I never thought I would, but I>>spend as much time as a "virtual spotter" as I do a "virtual>>pilot" these days.>>Curious how you do that...?With SuperTrafficBoard of course ;-)I use the board to see which airports in my area have interesting aircraft and airlines represented, then use the View AI and Follow AI commands amongst others to watch and control the action. The board tells me the distance of each AI from the airport, so it's easy to find who will land first.Good locations include EGLL and KJFK, each surrounded by other busy airports so there is never a dull moment.I'll be giving the new spotty a try soon too.RegardsSimon

>I have the same except Q6600 rather than E6600. Do you>overclock? That will help a lot. Which airports in>particular do you see poor performance?No overclock here, my mobo(p5B) is no good for that.Mainly in dfw, jfk, bos, egll, etc.Anyway I am planing on upgrading my box, just waiting what the new nehalem cpu's have to offer.>The extra loading time is FSX working through all the new>aircraft definitions it has to work with.Thanks

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

If you like the details I think it is worth the upgrade from My Traffic 5.1b to 5.2. With 5.1b I was flying MD11 freighters out of the Louisville, KY hub where UPS's main hub is and didn't see any UPS MD11 (3-engine) jets there which there would be in actuality. Immediately after upgrading to 5.2, the UPS MD11's appeared along with the other aircraft, not to mention that the liveries seemed a bit clearer. Not sure how many other models they added but I noticed a difference right away.Craig

>If you like the details I think it is worth the upgrade from>My Traffic 5.1b to 5.2. With 5.1b I was flying MD11 freighters>out of the Louisville, KY hub where UPS's main hub is and>didn't see any UPS MD11 (3-engine) jets there which there>would be in actuality. Immediately after upgrading to 5.2, the>UPS MD11's appeared along with the other aircraft, not to>mention that the liveries seemed a bit clearer. Not sure how>many other models they added but I noticed a difference right>away.>>CraigI painted UPS for MTX 5.2. The MD-11, DC-10 and DC-8 were very much the pinnacle of my work, so I'm glad they turned out well.

The airports you mention will be a challenge for any AI package that offers realistic traffic volumes. Occasionally I leap back into FS9 for that kind of experience. For instance I flew the 747 from Simwings EGLL to KBOS, both with AES, all sliders to the right (except Just Flight traffic at 80% so ATC could be used), and the frame rate stayed at 30fps the entire time.RegardsSimon