Sign in to follow this  
quantumleap

Scenery Installation Order

Guest Brad33712

Hello All, First my apology if this question/topic has been answered already somewhere else on this forum... I searched around, then I tried posting this in the "Tips and Tricks" forum, but it seems pretty dead over there... So, to my question, I'm almost finished buiding a new computer to run FSX... Software to Install: FSX Deluxe, FSX Acceleration, FS Global 2008, Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Environment X, Flight Environment X... I know I should install UTX before GEX, but I also want to install quite a few airport scenery add-ons, Cloud 9 Orlando Int'l, and several freeware airport add-ons from the file library... Also MegaScenery Hawaii, Las Vegas, and Dallas... I know FSX scenery is kind of like a layer cake in the sense that Mesh is the base with Landclass and Textures overtop... Does anyone have an opinion whether or not add-on airport scenery should be installed before UTX and GEX does its makeover magic? ... FS Global 2008 also says that USA Mesh data is installed but not activated during installation... Any thoughts whether or not FS Global 2008 Mesh for USA should or shouldn't be activated? Or is default FSX Mesh data higher resolution than FS Global 2008? Defrag between each product installation? All thoughts appreciated and I hope the subject is helpful to more than just myself...Thanks, BradNew Computer: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz, INVIDIA 9800 GTX+, Asus motherboard X48 chipset, 2 Gigs of RAM, WD 10,000RPM 150 Gig HD, running Windows XP SP2

The addon mesh is the same resolution (38m) as the default. What parameters it as compiled with may give a slight visual enhancement over the default. Why don't you try it and see what you think?Install UTX and it's updates. Start FSX to build all the indexs. Install GEX and it's updates. Start it's Setup and apply what you want.Install localized products after this. The photo based stuff will take priority over any vector based stuff, UTX and GEX. Always think big ---> small when installing.Defrag depending upon your utility. If you have a good utility, you can wait until after everything is installed. Just expect it to take a long time.

Personally if you are starting with a clean slate here's a few general recommendations:- Start with just FSX on its own and make sure it works.- Next add Acceleration and then make sure things still work.- Next add any environmental add-ons which impact the entire sim e.g. Flight Environment and again make sure things still work. Apply any available updates and patches to these as well before moving on.- Now add your scenery products one by one, testing that they work at each step before moving on. Apply any available updates and patches to each product as well before moving on to the next product, testing after each update. Start with the one which covers the largest geographic area first, all the way down to the one covering the smallest geographic area last. If you have two which cover a similar area e.g. UTX and GEX then review the docs for each to see if it is advised to install one before the other - in this case UTX should be installed before GEX.Note that the reason I recommend testing at each stage is that if a problem is encountered you have a good idea which step caused it and can therefore just try to undo that and seek advice before moving on (follows one of my golden rules in a troubleshooting course I have given which says "If you've dug yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging").So to take your list:- FSX- Acceleration- Flight Env X- FS Global (and as an FYI I think you'll find that its mesh in the USA is the same resolution as the default which is why that particular one is disabled)- UTX- GEX- Megasceneries- Orlando IntlHope this makes sense,Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg