Sign in to follow this  
boris4356

Coordinates for eyepoint

Hi,Does someone know if it's possible to see the coordinates for your present eyepoint in FSX after using the move eyepoint keyboard commands?Reason I ask is it would be of great help when defining new camera definition if you simply could use the keyboard commands to move your eyepoint to where ever you like and then just check your coordinates and put them into the InitialXyz line for the camera definition you're creating.Currently when I'm trying to define a new camera definition I must guess what values to use and it takes lots of adjusting and reloads of the a/c before you get the values right.TIA,

Richard Åsberg

Darn good question ! I hope someone has the answer... that would save me time as well. :-)

Bert

See your adjusted eyepoint?Of course!.You just need to connect the dots.The "eyepoint of record" is whatever is defined in the aircraft.cfgEvery saved flight contains a record of any changes to your actual position from that reference location.When working with something like this, use an obvious flight name for simplicity (like "test").Some of the basics...whatever camera is in use at the time of the saved flight is flagged so let's say you've moved from the default location to center yourself a little better in front of the yoke in the VC; save the flight.Open the saved flight (My DocumentsFlight Simulator X filestest.FLTScroll down to {Window.1}Order=0Active=TrueUndocked=FalseMaximized=TrueScreenUniCoords=0, 0, 8191, 5400UndocCoords=0, 0, 0, 0CurrentCamera={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}The last line says the ..F078 camera was in use (you saved from the VC)Then drop down to find the VC camera's particulars...{Camera.1.2} <<--- yours may be differentGuid={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078} << this is what you're looking forZoom=0.80000001192092896Translation= 0,-0.103020, 0 <<-how you moved; yours will be differentRotation=5, 0, 0 <<-- how you turned in Pbh (pitch, bank, yaw)This block documents that I've moved 0.1 to the left and am looking 5

Guest jprintz

Usually what people do is find the eyepoint they want, then pause and save the situation as a kind of temporary "dummy" flight. You can then look in the flight file and get the precise camera positions. I agree that there should be an easier way! Perhaps there is, but I haven't heard of it.

Guest jprintz

Hah! LLoyd beat me to it by 1 minute, AND with an explanation of what to look for in the flight files.

This is really good stuff !So, if I read:Guid={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}Zoom=0.89999997615814209Translation=0.020828649401664734, 0.052146166563034058, -0.22918635606765747Rotation=12.499401092529297, 0, 0How do I apply that to:(Views)eyepoint=-3.48,-0.90,1.98 I assume I add the translation numbers:eyepoint=-3.46,-0.85,1.76But where do I adjust the zoom and rotation?Edited by author... the above eyepoint shift actually does not work,the x,y,z coordinates are different, so I'm doing something wrong... help !

Bert

I'm getting closer, but still need help...It looks as if eyepoint = z,x,ycorresponding to Translation=delta x, delta y, delta zAlso, I guess I can add a Zoom= to the views section.not clear where the rotation goes...

Bert

Thanks alot guys for your tips how to accomplish this, I'll give it a try later on today!

Richard Åsberg

If anyone is following me on this journey.. :-)According to the FSX SDK documentation:Translation values (in the flt file) are in MetersEyepoint values (in the aircraft.cfg) are in feetDoes anyone know of a document that has all this in one convenient place?I'm beginning to pity the add-on developers who had to figure this out based on the SDK documentation.

Bert

Sorry I forgot the units change from feet to meters... it's been a while.The Zoom and Pbh was only useful for setting up the initial values when creating a custom camera. Were I to want to make a significant change to the default, I believe I'd just create a custom VC (like you do for a copilot view) and include the new position and Pbh.One other thing you have to realize: The starting view zoom when creating a flight actually comes from your default flight's saved values.So if the default flight has a saved zoom of 40%, even though your initial zoom is .7 (in the cameras.cfg) you will start at 40%. When you reset the zoom it will go to the 70% size. I have not checked to see what the default would be if I made the default flight inaccessible. Guessing, I'd expect 100% - but I don't know.Loyd

Hi Bert,I tried this the other day but I couldn't get it to work and in the end I opted doing it manually instead. Not that hard really once you've got your first camera in place, then you just use that as a template for the rest of the cameras you're setting up since (at least in my case) it has often been about setting up one left, one right, one forward, one rear etc camera view and then you simply change some values.However if you want to dig deeper into this I found this link talking about what we've discussed here...http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?...e_cameras_views...and seem to be alot more to read for anyone interested.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for the link!I actually did get it to work, but I've yet to find a cookbook description of how to do it.What worked for me, is to follow the suggestions in this forum as far as saving the flight and opening the flt file.The trick is that the translation values that you need to adjust the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg file are not in the same sequence, nor in the same units.. :-(Once you realize that the translation values are x,y,zbut the eyepoint values are z,x,yand that the translation values are in meters, but the eyepoint values are in feet,then you are pretty much there!So, I've permanently changed the eypoint in the Carenado C182Q to my liking.Example:(Views)//eyepoint=-3.48,-0.90,1.98 original in feet//adjustment: -0.23, 0.02, 0.05 in meters! eyepoint=-4.23, -0.83, 2.14zoom=0.90 I added the zoom line.For the 2d cockpit, the zoom value is in the panel.cfg file.Thanks to all who helped with valuable suggestions!

Bert

That's great Bert you had it work, guess my problem when I gave it a try was that I was confused by the difference in both order or the values but also the values are in different units - can't help wondering if the developers do it like that only to confuse us ;)?In the more traditional way using trial-and-error I ended up with the following cameras for the Piper Cheyenne X IIXL model for anyone also flying this a/c and who want to try them out, they are for all passenger seats in the a/c.[CameraDefinition.1]Title = "Left Rear Seat"Guid = {54F54B8A-3EC2-2D4E-8D10-B8F9D0F16AAA}Description = View from left rear passanger seatOrigin = Virtual CockpitSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = -0.07, 0.0, -2.5InitialPbh = 5.6726741790771484, 0, 0.11487417668104172XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=MinimumPitchPanRate=40HeadingPanRate=100[CameraDefinition.2]Title = "Right Rear Seat"Guid = {54F54B8A-3EC2-2D4E-8D10-B8F9D0F16AAB}Description = View from right rear passanger seatOrigin = Virtual CockpitSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 0.70, 0.0, -2.5InitialPbh = 5.6726741790771484, 0, 0.11487417668104172XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=MinimumPitchPanRate=40HeadingPanRate=100[CameraDefinition.3]Title = "Left Forward Seat"Guid = {54F54B8A-3EC2-2D4E-8D10-B8F9D0F16AAC}Description = View from left forward passanger seatOrigin = Virtual CockpitSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = -0.07, 0.0, -0.85InitialPbh = 5.6726741790771484, 0, 180XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=MinimumPitchPanRate=40HeadingPanRate=100[CameraDefinition.4]Title = "Right Forward Seat"Guid = {54F54B8A-3EC2-2D4E-8D10-B8F9D0F16AAD}Description = View from right forward passanger seatOrigin = Virtual CockpitSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 0.70, 0.0, -0.85InitialPbh = 5.6726741790771484, 0, 180XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=MinimumPitchPanRate=40HeadingPanRate=100[CameraDefinition.5]Title = "Aft seat"Guid = {54F54B8A-3EC2-2D4E-8D10-B8F9D0F16AAE}Description = View from aft seatOrigin = Virtual CockpitSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = FALSEAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 0.60, -0.10, -3.25InitialPbh = 5.6726741790771484, 0, 270XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=AircraftMomentumEffect=TRUEClipMode=MinimumPitchPanRate=40HeadingPanRate=100

Richard Åsberg

Hi Loyd,I am also trying to permanently change the default eyepoint of the EH101. I read your post, and it gives me a start, but I am totally confused as to how I convert:[Camera.1.2]Guid={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}Zoom=0.5Translation=0, 0.18534678220748901, 0Rotation=4.6579470634460449, 0, 0Into the new eyepoint co-ordinates that go into the aircraft cfg file in this format:[Views]eyepoint = -16.5, 2.2, 4.7 (original default co-ords)Any help you can give would be appreciated!Thanks,Bill

I'm not Lloyd, but here is what I did:Your translation is 0.185 meters in the vertical axisthat is 0.185 x 3.28 = 0.61 feetAdding 0.61 feet to the eyepoint coordinate of 4.7 becomes 5.31So, change your eyepoint to: -16.5, 2.2, 5.31Add: Zoom=0.5 to the Views sectionNow, the rotation, I believe goes into the panel.cfg fileTry changing theVIEW_FORWARD_DIR= 4.66, ..., ...and see what happens.

Bert