Sign in to follow this  
Mace

I thought I was getting old when...

When I started training for my pilot license last year I thought starting in my mid-40's made me rather old for a student. I soon learned that wasn't the case--met many students older than I was. Gave me a "surge of youth" knowing I could learn new skills so easily.But sometimes things can throw that surge of youth asunder. I was with my daughter yesterday (FATHER'S DAY, MIND YOU) checking out at the market. I was kidding and teasing her the way we usually do. After a moment, the cashier said "Is she your granddaughter?"Urgggghhhhhhhh. Just when I was feeling good about myself. Maybe if I dye my hair, get rid of all the gray I will look like a daddy again?:)-John

......And while youngsters indulge in baldness, you have nothing to worry about John. ;-)It's when you get to my age 65, when you reckon your getting old with not much hair left anyway to do anything with but, still enjoying flight simming.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi John,I had a similiar experience at a local Orlando hospital when my son was getting some blood work in the outpatient clinic. One of the male nurses asked if I was his grandfather. I just laughed it off and indicated some comment about my virility at my advanced age!!!I now work at Air Orlando Flight School, www.flyairorlando.com , and come in contact with all ages. I don't mind teenagers calling me Bill, Mr. Bill, or Mr. Sieffert. I feel we are sharing a life's experience of aviation. I also enjoy the Camaraderie of the young and old. When someone makes the remark of being the "Dirty old man!", I usually state, "Hey, I resemble that remark!"W. Sieffert

Okay, I'll have to swell my chest a little. Was asked to pick up my 9 year old granddaughter at a birthday party recently and the host asked me which one was my daughter. Ahh, the little pleasures - pun intended.Leon

Hi Leon,When are you going to visit Orlando? KORL, West side, Sheltair.W. Sieffert

Hi Bill,I need to do that one day soon. Or if you get a chance KLAL is an easy trip. Our hangar bunch (24 of us) is an owner/occupant group located in an isolated wooded area on the northwest corner of the field. It's like a big sandbox where we all gather and play nicely. There's usually a grill going somewhere and refrigerators are filled with whatever satisfies your thirst. Be glad to have you.Best regards,Leon

That happens to me also but I am 23! I guess that means I visit their establishment a little too much ;)

>Well mine is much more simple. No one cards me anymore when I>buy liqueur-not even in question.....what an insult!Well hey, I am 34 years old and they still card me about 90% of the time. It's kind of annoying but the older I get, the less I mind...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB