Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

some fsx questions

I got fsx several years back, but my computer couldn't run it. I'm back in the game now, and I have a few questions.1. I've installed all of the World of AI packages. It's quite something to be taxying around heathrow now, passing lufthanse, south african, air canada, etc. flights. The only problem is the air traffic option when you right click and select air traffic to look at the other planes. Is there any way to scroll down? Now, when I open it near a major airport, the selection menu stretches from the top to the bottom of the screen, and there's only room for the airbus flights, as they go in alphabetical order. How do I scroll down the list?2. I'm currently doing a real-time flight from london to abu dhabi in a 747. I'm at FL 320, and every five minutes or so the plane is pushed violently to one side or the other, or suddenly speeds up to overspeed. Is this due to the online updating weather? When it updates, are the new changes added instantaneously, so that all of a sudden I have a tailwind and rocket up to overspeed? I'm just asking, because it would take a pretty violent gust of wind to blow a fully loaded 747 up to 20 degrees off course. Any way to fix this?3. Lastly, sometimes I end up with a patch of fog that follows me around, straight below me. So far, it's only happened above FL 220, and when it is moderaltly-very cloudy. When I look down, the area of ground below me is shrouded in fog, and this patch moves with my plane. I know that it's fog because i can see mountains and hills sticking up out of it. It's not constant, as I have been at high altitude on a cloudy day and not seen it, but it does happen. I think it only happens at night too, but don't quote me on that one.any help?thanks

Guest Gary Buska

I can not help with question 1 but questions 2 and 3 might be caused by the same thing. I need some answers first did you do a full install of fsx? What are your system specs and what kind of frame rates are you getting.Also do you use default weather or do you select real world weather.Regards Gary BuskaLibrary ModeratorLibrary managerWWW. AVSIM.com

Thanks for the reply.Yes, I'm using a full SP2 install. The only thing I've added are the WOAI packages, default aircraft repaints, and a few freeware planes. Scenery, weather, etc. still the same. I'm using the weather that's updated every 15 minutes, real world weather. As you said, 2 and 3 might be related.I'm running:Intel Core 2 Q6600 quad processor @2.4 GHz3 gigs of ram256 mb ATI radeon HD 2600 XT video card.I don't know the exact number, but I have no noticeable frame rate slowdowns unless we're dealing with socked-in fog or lots of big, cumulus clouds. Sometimes it gets a little choppy at big, big airports, like New York, Heathrow, and O'Hare.I have tweaked the cfg file- and these changes are necessary as I get enormous frame rates benefits- things like max number of trees buildings, bufferpool, optimised for quad core, etc. Almost everything you find in the tweak guide at highflightsimulations.com. I disabled the default.something (XML?) file by renaming it default.bak. And lastly, I edited the exe to accept more than 2 gigs of ram.I can't see how any of these changes would cause the low cloud to follow me around. They all really help performance, and the cloud is at most a nuisance, so if it comes between them I'll stick with the tweaks unless I see I've done something wrong.Is there any way to post a screenshot here? Maybe that would help, so i could show you what I'm talking about.thanks

1. No scrolling. If you have FSX Deluxe and have installed and updated the SDK to the correct version - you can use the TrafficToolBox Explorer to select any active aircraft. But without that, the only way I know of is to select and AI aircraft from the list you see and cycle through the AI. That can be pretty tiresome at large airspaces like London with several hundred AI aircraft active.2. Yes, not so much 15 min updates - but crossing air space boundaries causes the wind shifts.This is the known weather issue because FS works backward from the real world. In the real world your aircraft indicated airspeed changes very little to none when winds shift. But in Flight Simulator - your aircraft is measured against ground speed. So when winds change, it takes two or three minutes for FS to recalculate and readjust everything.Again, FS works exactly opposite the real world - so don't get hung up with some answer involving real world weather.The approx 15 minute weather updates in FS don't change much unless you are someplace like DFW and a summer thunderstorm rolls through.What does happen in FS is airspace boundaries. Off the coast of Greenland about 300-400 miles outbound from BIKF to the US is one which has nailed a lot of people in FS.In a very short distance the weather in FS transitions form the weather at BIKF to the weather at BGBW. I'm talking meters, not miles. Based on the normal weather patterns for those two areas - that is normally a pretty dramatic change in winds. While the real world has 700 nm for the weather to change - FS being a computer program has hard boundaries for each zone.Almost as bad is flying over several relatively small nations, where weather changes frequently. Or flying over wide areas of no airports, then coming close enough to an airport for the weather to change abruptly.There are ways and addon programs to make the weather transitions smoother - personally I use a pay version of FSUIPC, but there are other substitutes.Otherwise, fly about 10% below the max airspeed set in the aircraft.cfg to avoid overspeed.3. Be careful what you ask for. People complained frequently in FS2004 about the ground/ cloud cover being clear below them in FS2004 - from high angle views - the top down view, or moving the hat switch.Since that was more a capacity issue with the computer to draw all the necessary clouds than the weather rendering - a change was made in FSX.Now most high angle exterior views will show the ground occluded with a cloud. Again the capacity of the computer to render large areas of clouds makes many people see a small area of fog or clouds directly under their aircraft rather than blending into a horizon to horizon cloud cover.