Sign in to follow this  
rightseater

Instant replay during carrier landing missions?

Guest ravisurdhar

I can't seem to figure out how to do this...every time I try to use the instant replay in one of the carrier missions, the option is greyed out in the dropdown menu. Why? I want to be able to fly the approach in the cockpit view, then do the instant replay from the exterior view and see how it looks from the outside and from the ship.

I also look forward to an answer for this question. I have been wanting to watch my air races from the tower view, but the option does not exist. I have tried instant replay on every mission I have done, and it seems as though you just can't do it. I am curious as to why.

Is the only way to see a replay of landing on a carrier to do it in free flight? I also have "aicarriers2" but when I do a replay of the landing - the carrier is not there ?!?

Hm, I just teseted the instant replay in free flight - the carrier is still not there :( I even saved the flight and then play it - no carrier ! I ran out of options - it seems that there is no way to see a replay !!!

I think the answer to your problem is that all the carriers you refer to in the above posts are actually AI objects, just like AI aircraft. The Instant Replay function in FSX will not display AI during the replay.Someone can correct this answer if it is wrong.

Rick Ryan

Thanks a lot guys :) BTW, I just happened to find FSRecorder yesterday, but haven't played with it yet. I also got the EZDok camera, so something nice is going to come up and I will upload it to youtube :)

FS Recorder does NOT show up the carriers either.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest dswo
FS Recorder does NOT show up the carriers either.
1. Carriers can be shown, but you need to study the manual for a couple minutes and adjust the settings. On the main "Recorder Settings" page, you need to set "AI Traffic" to "play recorded traffic" "during playback." On the "Recording Settings" page, which you get to from the "Record_er_ Settings" page, you need to check "Record AI traffic." Making it all work smoothly with your rig may require additional adjustments, but these two will get you started. 2. If the carrier is moving, the replay timing will be off; see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...ad.php?p=201784 for techniques to correct it.

Guest dswo
Carriers can be shown, but you need to study the manual for a couple minutes and adjust the settings.
What I wrote here was true but misleading. With FS Recorder, you can see the carriers -- which is an advance on instant replay -- but moving carriers will continue on their original course. Their positions while you were flying aren't recorded, therefore can't be replayed. Hence the workarounds discussed here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...ad.php?p=201784.

Unfortunatelly, I haven't found a way to record an exact replay of arrested carrier landing on a moving carrier in the flight simulator :( You can record with Fraps of course, but obviously you can't change the camera angle, which is what we want.The standard FSX replay does not work simply because it does not replay AI traffic.FSRecorder on the other hand does record AI traffic (with the proper options checked as dswo pointed), however there are two problems. The minor problem is that it does not record the tailhook, however this can be corrected by lowering the tailhook (shift+Q) during playback. The major problem is that the carrier will not be exactly where it was at the time of the original recording (even if you started the replay from the start of the saved flight which was also the start of the recorded flight). So if in the original recording your tailhook touches the deck at the 3rd wire, in the playback with FSRecorder, it can actually touch a couple of meters before or after the wire. The reason, I think, is that FSRecorder probably only records that there is an AI carrier there, rather than it's exact coordintates in time. So if there are 2-3 minutes between take-off and landing, during the replay the AI will move the carrier but it will end a little left, right, forward or back from where it ended during the actual recording. Please, correct me if I am wrong. The reason the position of the carrier is important, is because the replay in FSRecorder is not a simulation, but a recording of flight coordinates, speed, altitude, etc. In other words during playback the aircraft will move as if it is hitting the deck and stopping (as it happened during the recording) even if there is no carrier below you.

Earlier this morning I got a pretty good recording using SkippyBing's method, described here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...amp;postcount=7.
I do it exactly as you describe. This method is OK to record a traffic pattern for example or the approach up until you are near the ramp. During playback the carrier will be a couple of feet off from where it was when you recorded the landing. In fact the carrier will be slightly off every time you play it back! May be I make too much of a big deal for a couple of feet but there is no way to know if you are 3 feet or 30 feet off. I made some experiments and I don't think it can be more than 30 feet (I just recorded the aircraft sitting on the deck with parking brakes for 1-2 minutes, and compared the original recording with later playbacks). But for movie making purposes it doesn't make any difference. The wires will be there when you land :(