Sign in to follow this  
jrhoads

Default G1000

Guest SuperFortress

Can anyone tell me if the default G1000 that comes with FSX is any good? What I mean is does it do a good job of recreating the realworld counterpart or would you guys suggest a 3rd party package instead? Thank you.

Guest Shalomar

Supposedly the most complete depiction of the G1000 to date will be in the yet-to-be-released Flight 1 Cessna Mustang Light jet.Donald T. :-wave(__/).................................(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Although I don't have a comprehensive list at hand (I'm sure the search function will find it), there are a number of functions and features of the real world G1000 missing from the default G1000 FSX implementation. It's good for it's intended purpose, but if you are looking for a proper G1000 for on-ground systems training the Garmin sim/trainer ($25 direct from Garmin - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6420#accessoryTab ) is probably the best available until the Mustang comes out.

Guest RichardL

To my knowledge, the MindStar Aviation G1000 has more features addressed than the default FSX G1000. The MindStar G1000 is still being updated with new features. Their forum mentioned in work updates for dual engine piston and turbines, plus synthetic vision. Maybe XM weather? http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviation/index.html

The Mindstar presently is closer than the fsx one and as mentioned there are regular updates with more and more features.I hope someone can simulate XM weather soon. One could feed in over the internet the weather data and overlay it much as current flight planning programs do, over a simulated gps/mfd.Considering how important and much used this is in the GA world I hope XM comes for the sim soon.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>Supposedly the most complete depiction of the G1000 to date>will be in the yet-to-be-released Flight 1 Cessna Mustang>Light jet.>>Donald T. :-wave>>>(__/).................................>(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste>(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.That's true with regards to the G1000 in the Mustang, but untrue for the GA version found in 182's and Barons.They are not generic installations.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>>That's true with regards to the G1000 in the Mustang, but>untrue for the GA version found in 182's and Barons.>>They are not generic installations.Hi Ed,Probably not a good idea to assume anything...There are many things in the works that you may not be aware of besides the Mustang...Including what you have just listed... F1, and F1tech, do our absolute best to meet our customers needs and expectations. And.. I / we intend to do just that including the G1000 for many different GA configurations. Nothing generic about it.Regards,Jim RhoadsFlight1

>Nothing generic about it.Ed never said it was "generic." He even agreed with the original poster's statement:"Supposedly the most complete depiction of the G1000 to date will be in the yet-to-be-released Flight 1 Cessna Mustang Light jet."Gee, that sounds like a compliment to me... :-lol What Ed DID DO is make a point that no G1000 is generic. Every G1000 installation must have the correct software for the specific aircraft into which it is installed.Don't read more into what folks write than is there... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>Nothing generic about it.>Don't read more into what folks write than is there... ;)>William,I don't believe I did nor should you assume otherwise...I simply responded to a post that was referred to our product and answered by one of your developers.With all due respect to Ed, I don't think anybody outside our beta team has any idea what we are doing with the G1000 including the Mustang and / or other projects to make such a blanket statement. Regards,Jim Rhoads

Let me say that no one from Eaglesoft is authorized to comment on the relative merits of what F1 is doing with regard to G1000 development since no one from Eaglesoft could or should know the details of such development.That said, there is a valid point made here in that blanket statements by any party are best taken with several grains of sodium:-)It is apparent that Mindstar and F1 are and will be competing for the FS G1000 market and that is a healthy thing for the FS Community at large. In other words, both products will offer feature sets and pricing which will be attractive to certains segments of this community and there is certainly room for more than one realistic G1000 company:-) Healthy competion helps keep pricing lower and features richer so it all becomes a net plus for the average simulation pilot:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest RichardL

Maybe we should keep the replies to products that have been released, not those to be released at some future date. No reason to suspect F1's and Eaglesoft's will not offer an excellent G1000, but I read the OP's statement to mean what is available currently. Richard

Good point richard. The Mindstar G1000 mentioned throughout this thread is available now...

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

It's a good question. I was looking at a couple 11" LCDs with touchscreen inputs and it seems like the Mindstar version is widely used in cockpits. From my limited research I don't know how hard it is to do a simple touchscreen-based hardware implementation vs the default G1000 (I am assuming that the screen would include the actual display area plus the controls in the bezel so there is no switch/knob hardware).scott s..

Guest RichardL

You are correct Scott. And from what I read in the Mindstar forum, the bezel graphics can be removed with an .ini file entry. That is a plus for cockipt builders using hardware buttons and rotaries. Also, the Mindstar G1000 has assignable keyboard commands so no need for the mouse.Good choice Ron.Richard