Sign in to follow this  
Guest lester1000

Friendly Panels FMC VNAV Question

Guest lester1000

Greetings fellow simmersI was wondering if anyone knows how to configure the generic FP FMC to control the pitch when VNAV is engaged by some ACG mod or do I need to control the pitch manually from the VSI? Before I installed the FMC on my POSKY 737-700 & 800 I would hand fly my aircraft to my transistion following real world charts and procedures. I use actual sids for my departures and stars for approaches provided that fsx has the neccesary waypoints available some I can never locate but thats another post. I'm a self confessed aviation nut, I drive my wife crazy with the amount of simm piloting I do but hey she knows where to find me lol.For the last few months I've tried to increase the realism a bit by calculating NI power for take-off for weather and gross weight, requesting only the fuel required, landing weight,approach speeds and aircraft configuration I dont like to set 95% N1 and roll beacuse why would I need that much power in 15C temps, 30.05 altimeter, low takeoff weight and an airfield elevation of 200 feet engine wear and a waste of fuel to me! Maybe at Mexico City in the summertime.I find handflying my SIDS and STARS depending on the airport can have a high workload until I get cleaned up and I cant' afford PMDG's planes right now so I have to deal with what I have for now. I know that most airline pilots after reaching a specified altitude engage the AP and vnav and let the magic happen. I noticed that FSX ATC never allows me to follow a SID or Star altitude restriction for a waypoint I always get that Southwest 427 please expedite your climb or descent to so and so, most times I'll just ingnore the constant babbling and follow my chart. The FMC is pretty simplified but for 15 bucks its not a bad deal the only thing is whenever I activate VNAV is always get a VSI speed of 1800 which a 737 can climb a lot better than that, before I would climb out at 3500FPM at around 15 degrees pitch with my N1 set at a pre set power level and pitch for airspeed and vertical speed as the air density decreases, long question short can the friendly panels FMC calculate the proper pitch to meet the altitudes programmed into the flight plan Sorry folks I know this is long but my love of aviation does that to me sometimes. I love FSX and feel for a 29 to 50 dollar piece of software and all the add-ons it is a awesome simulator that can teach the basics well and to all that bash it wanting max realism go take flying lessons at your local FBO 230 bucks for 2 hours or full motion airline sim 400 bucks an hour and you'll appreciate the hard work MS put into this piece of art. It has issues but what software of this size is 100% bug free? If you can do better lets see it!!!Take Care and Happy LandingsLes T.Student PPL

I would suggest you send an email to fpanels@friendlypanels.net to get an accurate answer to your question.

Guest lester1000

I tried emailing them some time back and had no response as of yet.ThanksLes T

Guest jshyluk

Les, I think you've answered your own question in your first post. I am currently working on a review of the guages add-on for the CRJ from Friendly Panels. I cannot say if the CRJ FMC is the same as the "generic" one. I think the CRJ FMC is supposed to be "dialled in" to the CRJ, but Friendly Panels freely admits that you can alias their CRJ cockpit into other aircraft.That being said, the FMC is kind of generic. It does have VNAV capability, which is nice (although I find it finicky in some respects), but it lacks the ability to adjust other functions. ECON, in particular (yes, back to that), gives you some ability to adjust how economical your flight plan is, which in turn will affect things like N1, climb and descent profiles, and so on. VNAV seems to want to lock in what it thinks are the optimal settings for flight regardless of what the sim-pilot would have. Probably, if you want to make particular adjustments to your climb and descent, you will need to do so by hand. I haven't played with this, but there is a freeware FMC floating around the Internet: vasFMC -- http://vas-project.org/vasfmc-flight-management-computer/Other than that, the usual rule of quality applies: if you want more "realism" be prepared to pay much more money for the pleasure.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest lester1000

>Les, I think you've answered your own question in your first>post. >>I am currently working on a review of the guages add-on for>the CRJ from Friendly Panels. I cannot say if the CRJ FMC is>the same as the "generic" one. I think the CRJ FMC is>supposed to be "dialled in" to the CRJ, but Friendly Panels>freely admits that you can alias their CRJ cockpit into other>aircraft.>>That being said, the FMC is kind of generic. It does have>VNAV capability, which is nice (although I find it finicky in>some respects), but it lacks the ability to adjust other>functions. ECON, in particular (yes, back to that), gives you>some ability to adjust how economical your flight plan is,>which in turn will affect things like N1, climb and descent>profiles, and so on. VNAV seems to want to lock in what it>thinks are the optimal settings for flight regardless of what>the sim-pilot would have. >>Probably, if you want to make particular adjustments to your>climb and descent, you will need to do so by hand. >>I haven't played with this, but there is a freeware FMC>floating around the Internet: vasFMC -- >>http://vas-project.org/vasfmc-flight-management-computer/>>Other than that, the usual rule of quality applies: if you>want more "realism" be prepared to pay much more money for the>pleasure.>>Jeff Shyluk>Assistant Managing Editor>Senior Staff Reviewer>AVSIMThanks for the good information Jeff, seems that I have to go ahead and upgrade to pmdg 737ng when its finally released in order to get the realsim I desire. The only thing this FMC does for as vnav that I can see is keeping me from messing with the atlitude hold on the MCP but it can calculate fuel usage and weights which I find useful during flight.Thanks againLes T.