Sign in to follow this  
FalconAF

Scenery.cfg error on loading

Guest Dazzie

Please can anyone help on the following?On loading FSX it errors 'scenery.cfg error local scenery directory (addon scenery) in scenery area 115 not found'.I must admit to not having a good understanding of fsx and its components, but upon viewing the scenery.cfg file in my main fsx directory, area 115 relates, i think, to the standard reno scenery.I have loaded up the reno air racing missions and they work fine.The only addon scenery I have installed is flytampa St Maarten and again this works fine.The problem appears to have arisen when I installed the FSX F14 tomcat by alan mccarthy (using the installer supplied in zip file) I subsequently deleted it using uninstaller. The problems appear to have started then.At the moment there doesn't appear to be any problems with fsx, it's just annoying that I have to 'ok' the error message to continue loading fsx.Thanks in advance,Daz

Hello,I had the same type of error recently. Usually, in the error, it also tells you what scenery is "bad".When you start up FSX, go to the scenery library in the setup and try "deactivating" the one that you think is bad. If you get the right one, the load will go OK and you will not see an error. When you find the bad one, usually a reinstalll of that one will cure the problem. Deleting it (when sure you get the right one!) will also work.Hope this helps,Cheers,Ron Sagel

Normally on fsx deluxe are 115 is addon scenery. You should have a folder in your main fsx folder for addon scenery with subfolfders of scenery and textures.Make sure your are looking at the right scenery.cfg. On my win XP system it is in the users appdata area. In Vista x64 it is in c:programdatamicrosoftfsx.scott s..

As more and more stuff is released an as executable installer, it leaves open the possibility of bad uninstall routines. And that sounds like what the OP has run into. The EXE file installs into the Addon Scenery folder and when the uninstall portion is run it decides to remove the folder that it was installed into!A quick and easy solution is to open Windows Explorer, navigate to your FSX installation, expand the tree and from the main folder of the FSX install use Explorer to create a new folder named Addon Scenery. Then move to the Addon Scenery folder and use Explorer to add two new folders; scenery and texture.Developers need to test their install process, which also includes the uninstall portion and make sure it does not do destructive work.I also recommend setting up a permanent extraction/installation folder and using that in lieu of any portion of the FSX installation. It means there will be cutting and pasting, but that's a better alternative to messing up a FSX install.Just my $.02

Daz,I had to read your post twice before I found the problem with your post. The scenery.cfg file in the main FSX directory is NOT the file FSX uses to configure scenery. I know that does not make much sense but that file in the main directory is a weird holdover from FS9.While it is not the actual config file for FSX, you CANNOT remove it because FSX will not operate without it.You didn't say what OS you're using but in Vista, the "real" scenery.cfg file is in the ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX folder. If you're using XP execute a search to find this file. Someone using XP can probably tell you better than I.

Guest Dazzie

Thanks Guy's,I followed meshmans's advice and created empty 'texture' & 'scenery' folders in the addon scenery folder.No longer get the error and all seems to be working fine so far.I'm using XP pro by btw.Daz

You also need to get the freeware download here in the file library called "fsscenery.zip" and use it EVERY time you make a change to your Scenery Library or scenery.cfg file. Making changes in the Scenery Library corrupts your FSX scenery.cfg file almost all the time. The simple fsscenery.zip file contains a super application that will fix any scenery.cfg file errors. Run it EVERY time you make ANY changes to your Scenery Library.FalconAF

Rick Ryan