Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Active Sky Version Questions?

For some years I have used FSMeteo for FS9 and the MSFSX Default downloaded weather for FSX.On this and other forums there seems to be a near consensus evaluation that Active Sky is about the best FS Weather program available for both FS9 and FSX. Therefore, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and go that route.I was a little disappointed that the only version I seem to find on the Flight1 site is Version 6 at a price of $37.99 USD. If I understand correctly, this is an older outdated version for FS9 only. Flight1 would be my preference to buy anything, but this seems to be negated here due to the outdated version and possibly the FS application limitation.SimMarket lists two versions as follow:Active Sky Version 6.5Released 10/22/2006If I understand correctly, this version is for both FS9 and FSX.Price: EUR 29.00Active SkyXReleased 5/31/07For FSX ONLYPrice: EUR 33.49Option: Add the XGraphics program, Total Price: EUR 52.49Obviously, Active SkyX is the latest version and would be assumed to have the latest features and provisions. However, it would be nice to have the program for both versions of FlightSim. For those of you with some knowledge of both versions, are the features in the X version improved to the point of being far superior to the 6.5 version, or are they relatively insignificant in your opinion?Any recommendations between these two versions would be appreciated. If you have a comment relative to XGraphics that would be appreciated as well.Respectfully:RTH

Guest firehawk44

I would suggest reading many of the reviews of this product completed by AVSIM reviewers and reviewers at other FS sites at this link: http://www.hifisim.com/index.php. Perhaps you have done this already but I suggest it anyway as it provides links to reviews for several different versions. The price on their website for this product is $44.99 (so $37.99 at Flight1 is a good price). I have it for FSX and had it for FS9 too but no longer use FS9 so cannot recall what was improved. I had the XGraphics program installed too but I think FSX got confused with all the different themes. ASX will install a XGraphics theme for the area you will be flying in that supposedly makes the area look more realistic. But I bought GEX Enhanced and decided to uninstall the XGraphics textures when I did that.Best regards,Jim

Thanks for the information Jim and I will certainly review it.Do I understand from what you are saying that the version listed by Flight1 is good for FSX as well? Everything I have seen seems to designate for FS9 only but I may be overlooking something.Thanks again.RTHEdit: I also already have GEX which I assume would be a consideration for negating the GraphicsX implementation.

Guest Gary Buska

I purchased both Active Sky X and X Graphics from the following site http://www.hifisim.com/ It was a bundle price and believe me there is nothing like it. It is worth every penny.According to the web site Active Sky 6.5 is for FS9 as the graphics are different and will not work for FSX

Guest firehawk44

"Do I understand from what you are saying that the version listed by Flight1 is good for FSX as well?"Apologize for not responding sooner. Normally I'm out golfing in the mornings but it's a little nippy here in Virginia so I'm home doing some needed chores plus I'm playing with my latest aquisition, the Aerosoft F16. No, the one on Flight1 is just an upgrade to FS9. You'll have to buy the FSX product from the website I provided (the developers website). Anything you see with the version, such as Active Sky 6.5, is for FS9 or earlier. FSX products are designated as Active Sky X or ASX with no version number.I understand GraphicsX works with GEX and FEX. It all depends on what was activated last. The textures for all products are awesome but, if you already have GEX, I would suggest you just use that product to save yourself from a lot of confusion.Best regards,Jim

>Edit: I also already have GEX which I assume would be a>consideration for negating the GraphicsX implementation.Xgraphics contains many textures such as for roads, runways etc... that are not contained within GEX. The Xgraphics textures are much better than the stock FSX textures. So, please do not think that GEX and Xgraphics are comparable products, as they are not.I happen to use Xgraphics, GEX and FEX. Each of which has its own strengths.

Thanks again for your input Jim:Keep warm over there in Virginia, but I fear we may have you beat over here next door in WV. It is just under 40 degees F here in Lewisburg and the wind is blowing pretty hard (Takes care of the leaves anyway). Fall colors are beautiful, Spring is refreshing, I love Summer, but hate cold weather during the desert winter.I think I have pretty well settled in on Active SkyX. I will just keep FSMeteo for FS9 as it is my secondary choice of flight most of the time anyway.Happy flying:RTH

Guest firehawk44

"Keep warm over there in Virginia, but I fear we may have you beat over here next door in WV. It is just under 40 degees F here in Lewisburg and the wind is blowing pretty hard (Takes care of the leaves anyway). Fall colors are beautiful, Spring is refreshing, I love Summer, but hate cold weather during the desert winter."WV is a very beautiful State for sure. I just returned from a trip to Nebraska/Oklahoma and returned via Bowling Green, KY (where I visited the Corvette Museum). On Monday, Oct 13th I departed Bowling Green to Lexington via I-64 and then into WV to Charleston and staying on I-64 in WV all the way to Virginia. What a trip! The weather was perfect (still sunny and warm) and the trees were just changing colors. It was one of the most spectacular drives I have ever taken! I see now I made the trip just in time as the weather changed for the worse soon after getting home and I heard there's some snow up in Blue Ridge Mountains. Driving through West Virginia and the mountains, I don't see how anyone can get around during the winter.Best regards,Jim

Good News Jim:I also have GEX and FEX and am happy to know that they would be compatible with XGraphics. I am sure it probably will take a bit of trial and error to decide which options in each to make active and which to leave inactive for what looks best in the eyes of the beholder. I see a new post was just made a short time ago by RET 1935 called "ASX+XGraphics vs. Flight Environment X" regarding such choices.Your system sure sounds great. I envy you. Mine seems to be adequate, but certainly does not measure up to the performance I am sure you get. I am doing my best to be patient and hold off until the major next generation raises its head.Thanks:RTH