Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Wait Until Windows 7 ??

Guest United

I read a preview about Windows 7 yesterday, very interesting. Apparently a beta will be released to the public early 2009?Basically it seems that it's a better running Vista, even performance wise, and especially on lower end machines. I'd love to know what others think about that and if it might be wise to wait until Windows 7 releases (yes, I know, that could be 2010) in so far as FSX is concerned? I am still using XP and have not migrated to Vista due to my perceived opinion that Vista wants too much from even an Intel Duo Cor for itself to make it very worthwhile for FSX. I know others would disagree.Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest Gary Buska

I have not heard of a windows 7 But I do know just like when XP first came out it had more bugs than a roach motel. HA HA. Vista is no different. I for one will wait until they ether come up with a service patch or like you said a better running version. Though for what it is worth My son has had Vista 32 bit for some time now and has had no problems so far.

I'd wait. I am one of the rare ones that has had terrible problems with Vista 32-mine that Vista requires a complete reformat/reinstall every couple months to work properly-then it works for about a month-then starts again with no ability to update and for example some addins for fs behaving in an eratic fashion. I am now staying in the 2nd option limbo as I can't really afford to wipe everything out every couple months.Neither option is satisfactory.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest SuperFortress

One of the interesting things I've read about Windows 7 is that it will supposedly allow you to use your GPU for additional processing power. Whether or not apps have to be specifically written to utilize this feature I do not know but I do think it's something that may benefit future versions of FS as well as other demanding software.

If you are happy with XP don't even think about changing over to Vista at this time - there is absolutely no reason to do so unless you really, really, need to go to Vista64. Win7 will be out when it's out and by that time we'll have some idea of its real performance and desirability. The CTPs and Betas won't really address the things that FS users are interested in...DJ

Guest diajohn2

I hate to defend a big company but I like Vista. I was an early adapter but learned how to use it well and along the way have upgraded my hardware. Nothing exotic. Q6600 Processor slightly overclocked, 4 Gig of memory and a now older ATI 3870 video card. I run FSX flying the LDS767, the PMDG 747 and MD11 as well as a few lesser add-ons.I always fly with Radar Contact, Flight Environment X, an ACARS and Ultimate Traffic at 40-45%. I normally fly in and out of major airports such as Heathrow, Atlanta, JFK/LGA and others.The aircraft all fly nicely and I am in control at all times although my framerates do fluctuate but are never so bad that it affects flying. I don't use autogen because I don't like it but do keep most other sliders up high.Don't believe everything you hear and never the Apple commercials.

Actually, I have Vista on two machines - and XP on four others. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Vista ( except that some 'helpful' features are a pain for the hobby user )and that wasn't my point at all. It's simply that there is no point in switching OSs from XP to Vista unless there is some pressing need to do so, and certainly no reason, at this point in the development cycle, to get all excited about Win7. I'm a systems programmer by trade and well aware of the features of the various OSs out there.DJ

My wife has Vista on her new machine and she hates it. I tried it and didn't like it either. So on my new machine I used her old XP when we junked her old one. This is what we found.1. Some "XP" programs don't run on it. 2. Some hardware is incompatible.3. Some hardware has Vista produced drivers only that cut features severly. I don't know who actually made these cut down drivers.4. The very nice scanner wizard was eliminated. This made us very mad since they did include their self-serving stuff.5. Some previously simple tasks are next to impossible to figure out how to do.6. Than God for Google, just to get by !!!!She wants her XP back but she's not going to get it....:~PBob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

Guest TPT82

I used Vista 32 as a gaming platform for about 1 month. Vista did not recognize some of my flight controls. I was not happy with framerates in FSX or FS9.I purchased a new copy of XP SP2 and never looked back. I also applied Nick N's Advice/Tweaks. Although my machine is starting to age (Core Duo 6700, 2G DDR, GeForce 8800 GTS, SB X-Fi,...), I am satisfied with XP's reliability and performance.The only maintenance I have performed in the last year is defrag, driver, and Windows updates.Just my 2 cents...ymmv...Nick

Guest Nick_N

Vista is to Windows 7 as ME was to XPLOL!I'm on XP x64 and will remain there until I see eithera. Visa service pack release which really makes a difference like SP2 did with XPb. Windows 7 and confirm its not a dog eitherc. Next gen hardware platforms run better on one of themI see no reason to torture myself or my great running systems until such time as MS gets their act together or I see the new hardware platforms being released soon will run better on a different OSSpeaking of which... I am expecting a hardware delivery this week :-hah

I certainly hope the boys in Redmond are paying attention to this thread.Vista has problems that are not being addressed in Windows 7. First among them is driver support by third-party vendors. The folks at places like HP have decided that if they simply refuse to provide people with Vista drivers for purchased equipment (or worse, provide them with crippled drivers), then people will be forced to buy all new printers, scanners, etc.PROFIT!Well, you know what? People don't like to be extorted, frankly, and they're not really all that stupid either. Plus, seeing as how their 401Ks are evaporating before their eyes, forking over more money to the richest people in the world isn't really their idea of a happening time.I've seen the early reviews and if they're any indication, Windows 7 is a warmed-over Vista with 3 or 4 new tweaks to the user interface so as to justify a name change of the operating system.Microsoft appears, at this stage, to be mounting a marketing effort to dump the Vista brand name (in favor of "Windows 7") but little else seems to be changing in the operating system.If they do that, who knows, it might fool some people.

FSX MissionGuy"Vista has problems that are not being addressed in Windows 7. First among them is driver support by third-party vendors. The folks at places like HP have decided that if they simply refuse to provide people with Vista drivers for purchased equipment (or worse, provide them with crippled drivers), then people will be forced to buy all new printers, scanners, etc."Amen !!!!!!!!!!!! They are the worst about this, and they (HP) left out all kinds of features that are contained in their XP driver. And they don't work right besides. The HP scanner drifts out, and then sucks itself back to the home position about every 25 minutes, 24/7. It's a sham !Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

I stopped buying HP years ago when I had a printer that would spit out two pages at a time. The work around from HP was to accept this fact-lame.As for Vista-I am stuck upgrading to the new version-as the present version doesn't work....I could reformat and put xp back on but that would be a whole other can of worms. Seems like tech support could provide something other than reformat every month and try again ...If Apple ran flight sim as well I'd go there-but my iphone is just as buggy as Vista.I long for the days of the first windows when at least if there was a screw up you could just feed it back in on a cassette tape in about 1 hour and be back in business.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

heh, forget that (first version of Windows). :) I was kinda partial to DOS 5 myself. :)RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB