Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Quesiton about frame rate lock

On some 3rd party aircraft I notice that if I have the framerate locked at 26FPS the actual frame rate ends up hovering in the mid to low teens. However, if I set the framerate to unlimited then the FPS is usually some sweet number well above 30FPS which is silky smooth. So why is it that when I lock the framerate to some number the ACTUAL FPS is much lower than what I locked it at?

Guest jshyluk

That's a mystery for the ages, or at least for someone who wants to go into a lot of technical mish-mash and bumps for free.However, the short answer lies in two domains:One is that the frame rate lock isn't so much of frame rate lock as it is a frame rate limiter. It sets the upper limit for frame rates. The lower limit is close to 1 frame per the interval between the universal Big Bang and the eventual Gnab Gib (Big Bang in reverse, in theory, how it will all end). The second domain is the tricky thing where the frame lock (or limiter) seems to work unpredictably. For some people, the computer generates many more cycles of processing with the lock on than off. You seem to be one of those people. Other people get better performance with the lock on.Very broadly speaking, you will get higher frame rates with the lock off, until you fly into someplace like New York, London, LA, or anywhere with big airports and a lot of traffric. Then your frame rates will go all over the place, and you will get more stutters, or maybe even tearing.Turn the lock on, and some stutters and hitches should go away at the cost of frames that only the most perceptive (or those who grew up watching those Japanese cartoons with the flashing lights that give people seizures) would miss. The situation, of course, is much more complicated than that, but I think that's it in a nutshell. Unless, of course, I got it all wrong. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior STaff ReviewerAVSIM