Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Downtown Toronto scenery

Has anyone attempted to re-arrange the office buildings in Toronto?Most of the major bank buildings are there, but not exactly in the right places :-(With the right tools, it should be possible to open up the bgl file and move the buildings to where they belong..Google Earth would be the authoritative source, I would think, or even my street map of downtown Toronto...

Bert

You could always try importing FlightOntario's Greater Toronto Area scenery into FSX (flightontario.com). I've tried it and it works okay, provided you remove the FSX's default Toronto scenery files, but it works better in FS9. Flight Ontario scenery is the main reason I still fly mostly in FS9.Good Luck!

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

The following shows FSX buildings in downtown Toronto superimposed on a Google Earth view. The yellow rectangles are labeled with the library object name, and the blue rectangles are generic buildings showing at a "very dense" scenery setting. What are the problems?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193879.jpgArtBiostar TF560-A2+ | Athlon 64X2-6000+ | 4GB PC2-6400 RAM | Geforce 8800GTS-320MB | 500W PSU | 250GB HD | FSX(SP1-Acceleration) | UTX | Audigy SE sound | Vista Home Premium 32 bit | CH Yoke (modified) & Pedals | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

That is really neat !The Skydome is spot on, other buildings are shifted a bit, no big deal.Union Station and Royal York hotel are about right.First Canadian Place (on2a) needs to move north of King street.Toronto Dominion Centre (on8a) goes where on2a is now.The Royal bank building should move west, to where on8a is now, aligned with the the east side of Union Station.The office building complex with the TD sign at the top, BCE Place (on4 and 5a), is actually east of the Royal Bank, across Bay street. Also the red Scotia Plaza building (on3a), should be east of Bay and further north.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193893.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193894.jpg

Bert

Okay, I'll give it a further look. Are you using UTX Canada? I just have USA so anything I do will be coordinated only with the default FSX scenery (roads) in Toronto.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+ | Athlon 64X2-6000+ | 4GB PC2-6400 RAM | Geforce 8800GTS-320MB | 500W PSU | 250GB HD | FSX(SP1-Acceleration) | UTX | Audigy SE sound | Vista Home Premium 32 bit | CH Yoke (modified) & Pedals | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Hi Art,No, I am just using the default FSX scenery.Are you able to make changes to the bgl file?And if yes, what tools does it take?Someone went to a lot of trouble to create the textures and shapes for these buildings and it is a shame that they ended up in the wrong places :-(BTW here is a larger overview of downtown TO.If you need more detail or want to send me something to look at, pls contact me via e-mail: bpieke at gmail dot com. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193914.jpg

Bert

Guest Simpit

I've never been to Toronto, so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the data, but over the last few days I've been playing around with Microsoft Virtual earth and getting depressed. In the parts of the world I know, the 3D models (well, adjusting for the fact that they are being created automatically) and locations are FAR superior to anything in MS Flight Sim.I hope the FS team has the ability to obtain stuff from VE, because I think they are doing the part of the sim that is probably the most labor intensive and doing an amazing job.For comparison - here's The same view of Toronto in MS Virtual Earth. Note that the clouds are in the 3D space as well.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193915.jpg

Depressed?? I hope it is a sign of things to come.. FS11 maybe?Pretty nice and a good illustration for what we are trying to accomplish!The FSX models for Toronto are actually nicely done.. I'm just hoping that there is a tool out there that allows for decompiling the coordinates and changing them!

Bert

>Are you using UTX Canada?As an FYI, if you are using UTX Canada, these buildings are already repositioned to their correct locations.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

The following is a view after making the changes. Let me know what is still wrong. I can upload the bgl file to the AVSIM library when everything is okay. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193925.jpgChanges are being made using Airport Design Editor and will be issued in a file for CYTZ. You can also download the ADE freeware from the library and make changes yourself. If UTX Canada already has the corrections, I highly recommend that as a solution also.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+ | Athlon 64X2-6000+ | 4GB PC2-6400 RAM | Geforce 8800GTS-320MB | 500W PSU | 250GB HD | FSX(SP1-Acceleration) | UTX | Audigy SE sound | Vista Home Premium 32 bit | CH Yoke (modified) & Pedals | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Art, this looks a heck of a lot better !Not only that, I took your advice: downloaded ADE from the Avsim library, loaded up Toronto City Centre airport, moved some buildings around, compiled it into the Addon scenery folder, started up FSX, and darn near fell off my chair !Did we just get lucky that the offending buildings are near an airport?I tried opening up the Toronto.bgl file and that got me nowhere..Either way, I'm amazed and grateful for your advice.Big thanks !http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193927.jpg

Bert

Art, if I wanted to be picky, I could say that the Commerce Court buildings are still too far east, but they do not show up when I open City Centre Airport in ADE, and quite frankly, I was not aiming for perfection - just a reasonable approximation.And that, you've accomplished !BTW, on my system the new City Hall shows up as red lights suspended in space with the building missing... strange.Thanks again,

Bert

>BTW, on my system the new City Hall shows up as red lights>suspended in space with the building missing... strange.Not just your system. By some oversight, the textures associated with the model for the new City Hall went missing in both FS2004 and FSX.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg