Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Question about "Extended Download Protection (EDP)" plans

I have seen at least to vendors offering a "Extended Download Protection" plan. As I understand it, this allows you to access the URL to re-download the product (for up to a year). Now, when I purchased a new product I always make a copy of the installation program, and my license, on a CD. This way, I assume I can reinstall the product whenever I need to. Is this correct? Why would I need to purchase this additional protection? Am I missing something?Thanks,Jim

Most people don't think in tidy terms as you obviously do, so most don't have their info or files backed up in case of an issue. Thing is, I only know of one site that "had" this kind of limited d/l terms and they now allow unlimited D/Ls.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

no, you're good to go if you back up your product and licensing info. There are a LOT of people that do not and in addition, are forever tweaking their system and rebiulding which ultimately results in having to redownload various products. Some of the developers got tired of it and this is their repsonse. However, if one backs up - not necessary.VQ9650 E0 CPU 3.0 o/c 4.06Asus Rampage Extreme X48 4G XP2-18200 DDR3 1800FSB Mushkin 996587 RAM 8-8-8-24-1T1-74G Raptor - XP System1-74G Raptor - Data1-320G 7200 - Programs 1-150G Raptor - FSX 1-500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyHannsG 28" 1920x1200Viewsonic 22" 1680x1050http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest jshyluk

There is also DRM - Digital Rights Management. This is a catch-all to describe a wide range of copy-protection and software leasing/ownership options. One thing to keep in mind about DRM is that it often places limtations on how you re-install software, especially if you try to re-install too many times, you try to re-install on a different computer, or you re-install one a system whose internal configuration (motherboard, daughter cards, hard drives, etc.) has been drastically changed.Usually, the DRM boils down to a user key which you hang onto. Every install causes the key to call back to the publisher's server, which keeps track of key uses. So although you have the stuff saved to a disk somewhere, your key might expire, either because you are overly aggressive with your installs, or you are the victim of scum of the earth software pirates, or because the DRM has some restriction clause that allows the key to expire over time. One way to learn more is to read the EULA - End-User Licensing Agreement. The better developers and publishers are happy to answer e-mail questions about their EULA. With respect to download protection, DRM might apply to this situation, or it may not. Maybe the vendor is offering a useful service, or maybe it's just a cash grab. A lot of it depends on how good of an end-user you really are.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviwerAVSIM

Guest jshyluk

That's a good point. It costs a lot in bandwidth to keep sending out products digitally. FSX in particular can have some large add-ons.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM