Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Shelly Johnson Memorial Fly-In

Guest JimC1702

Today I uploaded an updated Colorado Springs, CO airport that I worked on along with Dakota Smith to the Avsim Library. In the file description and readme, I mistakenly said the Fly-In was on VATSIM, but have been advised that it is on IVAO. Information on the Fly-In is available on the IVAO website:http://us.ivao.aero/Sorry for any confusion.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Jim,First, thanks for your massive amount of work on addon airports. Outstanding effort, and I have all of them.Can I ask a favor? I was stationed at Peterson AFB for over 5 years while in the Air Force. Did a lot of flying out of there (Aero Club aircraft). All the "afcads" I see for KCOS all contain the same "error" in them (not a complaint abot your's...just an observation).The areas south of the main terminal and between runways 35L and 35R still contain the FSX autogen buildings and look like a residential area. Unless things have changed there drastically since I was stationed there, this area is all fairly empty "airport property". The road that leads to the main terminal comes in from the west side of the airport south of runway 35L, and traverses an "empty area" with very few (if any) buildings of any sort (at least several years ago).Would it be possible to extend the boundary of the AFX file so the areas south of the terminal, and between the runways 35L and 35R threshholds eliminate all the FSX autogen stuff that is getting drawn there? There really isn't any "residential" stuff there in the real world as far as I know yet. A quick look at the Google Maps satellite image would show you what I mean, vs what is getting drawn in FSX with the AFX file.Thanks for any inputs!FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest JimC1702

Yeah, that's a problem with a lot of FSX airports. In fact, I had the same issue with Erie, PA which I uploaded this morning. There is vegetation between two runways that shouldn't be there. I tried an exclusion box in AFX but that wouldn't remove it. Looks like I may have to break down and learn SbuilderX. I think that might do it.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/194220.jpgHey guys, is this what you're looking for @ KCOS?Jim, I looked at the area in G**gle and took the liberty of editing your file in ADE and changed/blended the landclass to the exisiting. Not perfect but it gets rid of the buildings, etc. I think it could also be done FSX_KML, as well.Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905

Regards, Kendall

Kendall,Outstanding! Is your "fix" available for download anywhere? I'd love to get it.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Hi Falcon, Glad you liked it and I think it could be tweeked a tad to make it better. Sorry, it's not available yet, as I just opened Jim and Dakota Smith's file in Airport Design Editor to see what could even be done (I hope this is ok and I didn't offend). I will try later today to accomplish the same thing with FSX_KML, that way I could post the file and it would be a separate, optional addition to their work or even the stock airport. Otherwise, I am sure they would be able to make the neccesary changes, as well.Regards, KendallE8500@3.95/4GB/8800GT CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905

Regards, Kendall

KendallUsing FSX_KML as a seperate cvx bgl would be much cleaner as a install addon to KCOS that was done with AFX. ADE is 100 percent SDK and BGLCOMP .xsd as per FSX. Any non compiler code that AFX uses such as the multiple Tower code /eyeview, deleteall statements, ILS Navaids removed in V1.06, no micro exclusions, drifting, etc. can cause a corrupt AFX KCOS when saved back as a ADE type FSX compliant bgl. ADE validates any bgl to be sure it complies with the checksum FSX compiler schema. Any code found that cannot be validated with the ADE Foundation Application Engine is flushed out of the XML before a compile can be performed. The LC poly .cvx that ADE makes is also compiled through shp2vec the same way that FSX_KML works. The two are the same so any stand alone FSX_KML cvx works with any ADE bgl if the CVX was not made with ADE.The ADE utility combines many different type utilities all in one in our own code such as SbuilderX, TcalcX, Shp2vec for all the .cvx's that FSX_KML makes. Imports all the library scenery bgl's for both FS9 and FSX (plus any 3rd party) which also includes both Generic and model.mdl's. ADE makes the only ACES approved preload airport elevation bgl to fix many 3rd party mesh addon's. Our goal is if it belongs to a airport it can be done with ADE without using other independent utilities. The next version of ADE will introduce the approach code that automates adding a new ILS /companion approach that ATC understands and a interface utility to write new approach code if needed for the advance airport designer. This also includes all my code that introduces visual (VMC weather) IGS, LDA, curved approaches around high terrain such as what I wrote for 9Dragons and FlyTampa's Kai Tak IGS 13. We have no intentions of stopping there with a future aircraft.cfg interface for validating all AI Aircraft against both FS9 (ttools) and FSX (TDBB) type FP's. The Aircraft.cfg utility interface will also correct/validate any missing parts of the .cfg and set wingspan values properly for parking spot meter size placement based on Reggie's work.We have a saying that says, whatever utility (ADE, AFCAD, AFX, FSXP, scengenX, etc.) you start a airport with you use that same airport utility to finish the airport.

Jim, as always thanks for your time and detailed guidance. I most definately agree with using the same airport design tool throughout the process. I just wanted to see what I could do with the area and ADE is all I've ever really used and needed (and keeps getting better and better.)The problem I faced using FSX_KML was the inability to sync G. Earth with FSX when I drew the poly. But, last night I ran across a utility called FSXGET and it worked like a charm. So, I have some files available one can add to any version of KCOS. One for the default and the others for those who use UTXUSA. If anyone wants them, get your email to me and I would be happy to send them out. I might upload them in the future when I have more time. I'd also like to take a moment to extend my condolances to Ms. Johnson's family and friends for her untimely, tragic passing.Regards, KendallE8500@3.95/4GB/8800GT CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905

Regards, Kendall

Kendall,Got yout files you emailed to me. I notice one problem with them I can't seem to stop from happening. With the Autogen slider set to anything other than "None", I get autogen bushes and small desert trees growing on portions of the main terminal north ramp and some of the taxiways.I'm not familiar with designing scenery using AFX and ADE (I really need to take the time to learn that stuff!), but I'm assuming you added a landclass "fix" based on the UTX filenames in the 3 UTX files. I've tried moving these files all over my Scenery Library location priority-wise, but no luck. If I have my autogen slider set to anything other than "None", somebody plants bushes and trees on the ramps and taxiways.Is it possible the landclass files are "overlapping" these areas and causing the autogen placement on them?FalconAF

Rick Ryan

>Is it possible the landclass files are "overlapping" these areas >and causing the autogen placement on them?Yep sounds like the issue. As I mentioned I just started using using FSXGET to sync with google when I drew the polys so something must be awry. Sorry, but I only checked them from a distance. I never liked the altered LC so close to the terminal anyway so I'll try and redraw them and send them out.Regards, KendallE8500@3.95/4GB/8800GT CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905

Regards, Kendall

Falcon, I've checked all areas of KCOS with these addon files, both default and with UTX/GE and others on a friends rig and I don't see anything as you described. Are you using any addon airport ground textures? Are you running SP2? I'm assuming that it's possibly an addon conflict because airport surfaces should be drawn over most anything, from what I understand.With respect to the intent of this thread, I offer that we take this private and see if we can sort it out for you. I can also simply redraw the poly's and allow for some space.Regards, KendallE8500@3.95/4GB/8800GT CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905

Regards, Kendall

Oh man...my sincere apologies about this thread getting so far off it's original topic.I posted my original question in the hope maybe a quick fix to the scenery could be arranged before the fly-in. As the thread progressed, I "lost sight" of the original intent of the thread, and the real reason for the fly-in.My apologies to the original poster, and I never meant any disrespect towards the topic or anyone personally affected by it.I'll go "private" with you about any further items concerning the scenery.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest JimC1702

Falcon,I've had this issue that you're having but only when I've placed an apron or taxiway outside of the default airport area. Even using an exclusion the autogen trees and shrubs and even buidings would pop back up. THe wierd thing was, it didn't always do it.But in the case of KCOS, no aprons were added outside the default airport boundary so you shouldn't be seeing this, unless some other scenery is conflicting. Make sure you don't have another KCOS "afcad" file. I had a previous one installed that I had to rename before installing this one.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

oh i wanted to participate in this event, but its not on Vatsim :-(

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram