Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

HELP! "Trees stretch into the sky" graphical glitch.

Guest frontendrob

Well, those of you who followed my recent posts know that my new installation of FSX was a buggy mess. That's why I decided to reinstall. This is what I did:Deinstalled FSX and all addons, cleaned registry.Reinstall NVIDIA drivers (latest WHQL 178 I think).Install FSX, install Acceleration, launch once, defrag HD.Reboot, launch FSX.I dialed in some medium high settings and go to 25R in EDDF. I get 40+ FPS, but after a while, once I move the camera, the autogen trees start to get really buggy, they stretch into the sky.... this will lead to BSOD and reboot if I would push it I think (it happened before).So the bottom line, without any addons, just a basic FSX w/Acc. and medium settings, the program is unusable. I don't know what I should try now, this is really depressing. I stated before that I can play Crysis and Far Cry 2 on almost maxed settings for hours without a single glitch, it is not load or head related.Help please :)Greetings,Robert

Guest firehawk44

This is a known memory issue. FSX is starting to run out of memory. Lower your FSX scenery and/or AI settings until the problem goes away. Not only do you have to tweak FSX with the /3GB switch, but you need to tweak the FSX settings too. I'll be glad when the new OS (Windows 7) comes out as I understand it will better handle memory.Best regards,Jim

And another possibility is those drivers. I just reinstalled windows, but before I did, I could only use 169.25 drivers. I got flashes and stretching trees (no BSOD) with anything newer on my 8800GT.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

The only time i get that issue is when my memory is not set correctly, ie the volts where too low. My mobo dosnt support 1066 meg ram voltage wise so i have to run it below 1 gig or i get the same issue. Cant quiet get the volts where i need them.

Guest frontendrob

I will take 2GB out there for a test.I don't see a point in it being a memory "size" problem though, as FSX ran flawlessly on my old computer with 2GB ram. Same XP SP2... it cannot be out of memory with standard medium scenery can it !?

Guest firehawk44

"it cannot be out of memory with standard medium scenery can it !?"Medium scenery settings should be okay but AI settings >default will cause memory issues if not tweaked properly. I assume that's what you mean and not the actual scenery you're flying into. Also autogen set to max could create problems. You just have to tweak your settings to get the best possible graphics and no crashes. You state FSX ran flawlessly on your "old computer" with just 2GB of ram but I bet you had to keep your config settings near the default or lower levels. Another factor you have to take into consideration along with your config settings is the type and complexity of the aircraft you are flying and/or the scenery you are flying in when you get the crashes or memory spikes. For instance, you could have your FSX config settings set to medium or at default levels but flying a commercial aircraft such as one produced by Capt Sim, PMDG, CLS, or LevelD. That coupled with heavy weather, and some payware scenery could also produce spikes and memory starvation. A lot of people set up different FSX configs for the type of scenery (to include weather) they will be flying in and whether or not you're flying a default aircraft or a payware aircraft. Any lastly, it's not all "memory size" that causes memory problems. Your video card and sound card take up memory address space too and sometimes these pieces of hardware conflict with FSX (or any game) and create a crash. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

I was getting that When I had 2GB of RAM in XP Pro SP2I had to turn on the 3GB switch and then there were no more spikes and OOM errorsI've also had none since installing Vista x64 and 4GB of RAM

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest frontendrob

Actually, on my "old" computer (Core Duo 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI 9600 Pro 256MB), I could torture it with high FSX settings, and however slow it got, it NEVER crashed. I would fly a PMDG 747 into KJFK with 1 FPS but it never crashed! And thats what I expect of a software: you can make it creep, but it wont crash! However, FSX is a very crappy piece of software, as it is pure LUCK if you have crashes or not, I understand that by now.

Guest frontendrob

Well, I found a "fix". Deinstalling SP2. Problems gone. So much for the "running out of memory" nonsense. Now I can crank everything up to the right and while it might be slow, there are no glitches, errors whatsoever. I just hope all my addons will work with SP1, but it's looking good for now.

Hi RobYour post re the de-installation of SP2 has made me smile.About a year ago when I first installed SP2, I had these graphical problems - everybody said that it was "lack of memory" problems. I thought that it could perhaps be so - as I only have a 256 meg vid card. My problem with this though was that I was monitoring my vid card RAM usage with a programme called "MEMSTATUS" and it appeared to be showing that I had nowhere near maxed out my vid card memory when this problem occured . Reducing scenery settings made no difference for me - and surprisingly, the problem seemsd to me to be associated with the default Missions.Anyway, deactivation/removal of SP2 removed my problem. BTW - my system is totally different to yours - yours has a faster CPU, more memory and more Vid RAMBarry

Guest frontendrob

Barry,I of course came across your posts while doing research here. It is always funny how some people are convinced FSX is rocket science and needs at least 2GB of VRAM to run flawlessly - and it is YOUR problem if you cant afford it. It's time some here finally realize that it's just a pretty poorly programmed application. The bug we experienced is just a perfect example.So now that I got over this problem, my first testflight from LOWW to LFNM was ended over the alps with a "FSX encountered a problem..." CTD - NEVER (!) had this one before. It's really amazing. Just when you think you fixed all problems, one at the time, FSX comes up with a brand new crash. It's probably all my fault - maybe I need 8GB Ram.

I once had a problem with humogous spikes. The problem turned out to be the nVidia driver release.

I had this issue when I was overclocking. I stopped overclocking and they went away since.Guess it's not just 1 certain issue.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

It's a memory problem caused by SP2 interacting with a poor video driver in a badly tuned system.How's that for covering the bases?Seriously, it is a memory error - period. However in some cases removing SP2 eases the memory problem. In some cases switching drivers resolved the memory problem. In some systems, overclocking stresses the memory subsystem and we get.....tada!!....memory errors.By now, haven't we all learned that each system is different and there is no one size fits all fix for this issue.Suggestion - first put sp2 back - too many good things in it. Then tune your system - several very good procedures around - search for NickN threads - then try different drivers and settings until you get what you want.For me, when I tuned my XP system, I was able to increase my sliders and fps and the spikes were gone.Good luckQ9650 E0 CPU 3.0 o/c 4.06Asus Rampage Extreme X48 4G XP2-18200 DDR3 1800FSB Mushkin 996587 RAM 8-8-8-24-1T1-74G Raptor - XP System1-74G Raptor - Data1-320G 7200 - Programs 1-150G Raptor - FSX 1-500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyHannsG 28" 1920x1200Viewsonic 22" 1680x1050http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors