Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Best non "photoreal" photograph based scenery

Hi all,I have purchased most of the "FTX" series of texture replacement scenery upgrade/add on products since their inception earlier this year.I was wondering if anyone could please point me in the direction of any other payware or freeware producers who in your opinion produce a scenery add-on of similar quality for other parts of the world. I'm not talking about the Google Earth type of large scale photo overlay system but a tile and landclass replacement.I would love to try some other parts of our planet but since FTX I can't abide the default textures anymore.Disclaimer - I am in no way affiliated with the FTX guys.Cheers and thanks,Chris Porter:-outta

Guest sillyeagle

FTX is certainly my prefered scenery, but there are three other hand placed landclass packages that I use for other parts of the world. My favorite by far is Vancouver+ by FSAddon, which is a Holger Sandmann masterpiece. Before FTX came on the scene I flew around the Vancouver+ area exclusivly, and it never once got old, as it's a huge area and incredibly well realized. It would still be my favorite scenery were it not for FTX. My second favorite is another Holger Sandmann masterpiece, which is his Bella Coola scenery. This package has a smaller coverage area, but it's totally free and available in the Library here. With GEX textures, some good mesh, and UTX Canada it's one of the coolest places to fly I've ever found, as it's an awesome playground for warbirds, and that includes anything FTX has to offer. Austria Pro X from Aerosoft is another good one, which includes hand placed landclass, 20m mesh, custom textures, and 4 photoreal cities with every building accuratly placed. It's a really nice package though it's spendy, and there's something about the color of the custom mountain texutes that I don't like. I'd like it if they were green, but they're more of a redish-purple-brown color, and I don't enjoy looking at it, so I rarely fly it. lol

Thanks for the info sillyeagle,I have had a look at the Vancouver+ and I totally agree that it is one awesome piece of work.I will probably hold off buying that one though as I hear that Holger will be working with the FTX guys to bring out a new product encompassing that area. He truely is a master and with their tech, it should be certainly something to behold.I'm going to hop over to Aerosoft to have a look at the Austria Pro package as you have suggested... It sure would be great to have something decent in Europe to fly over.Once again, thanks again for your suggestions, they were much appreciated.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outta

Guest NoobPilot

Never forget GEX! It saved my eyes! The team did a great job with it, and in some ways it actually increases performance. The full name is Ground Environment X.

A combination of GEX and UTX is what works for me. Awesome products and they completely transform FSX.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

>A combination of GEX and UTX is what works for me. Awesome>products and they completely transform FSX.Thanks for the info guys, does GEX modify the standard ground tiles or is it limited to the airports only.With all the X's out there I see we also have a REX in the pipeline... I wonder how these products all work together? Or do they all essentially do the same thing?Cheers and thanks again for the info.Chris Porter:-outta

I think GEX is the other way around i.e. everything except the airport textures..........or maybe it includes them too. Anyway, it certainly replaces the ground textures.You'll probably find some pic's here http://gex.flight1.net/Paul

Cheers

Paul Golding

>I think GEX is the other way around i.e. everything except>the airport textures..........or maybe it includes them too. >Anyway, it certainly replaces the ground textures.>>You'll probably find some pic's here http://gex.flight1.net/>>PaulHey, great stuff, thanks for the link Paul, very much appreciated.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outta