Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

FSX ATC Question

Guest Doug Moldenhauer

>Now that you got your question answered, can I ask you, are>you related to Manfred Moldenhauer? (He once wrote an FS>scenery compiler called SCASM).>>>Rhett>>FS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3>Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600>Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm>Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate>64>ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GTI don't know....Its possible as that name isn't really prevolent :)I think he lives in Germany as I remember reading about his work several years back.

Here's a short "laundry list" of some of the other things that could easily be fixed in the FS ATC logic:1. When applicable, Use "Position and Hold" instructions after arrivals... not just departures. This would significantly shorten the departure queues at busier airports.2. Eliminate the drastic turns in the arrival pattern. The Flight Sim ATC establishes an invisible flight path that it wants you to fly to get set up for an approach (and issues vectors to keep you on that path). Unfortunately, if you stray from the centerline of that path (usually because of winds aloft), ATC issues turns of 30 degrees or more to get you back "on course" - followed shortly thereafter by another large turn back to the original heading. This is just plain dumb! Either use small correcting turns of 5-10 degrees or ignore the minor course deviations completely.3. Never, EVER! cancel an IFR flight plan because a pilot fails to reply to a control instruction. ATC does NOT have the authority to cancel flight plans (especially when there's a bug in FSX that occasionally prevents you from replying). As an FYI, if this bug ever hits you... just tune the radio to a different frequency and use the ATC dialogue to retune the original frequency - the necessary responses should then magically reappear.4. Quit calling traffic for aircraft that are vertically separated by more than 1000 feet. FS ATC does not "understand" merging target procedures and often makes unnecessary traffic calls.5. Speed Control for arriving aircraft! Go-Arounds will continue to be a major problem until the ATC learns to slow everybody down.There are more issues, but these problems can be fixed with very little effort... just a few lines of code.

Well, maybe a little balance.I have never flow a high altitude route so readily admit no knowledge there.But a route I have flown quite a bit:kptk to ktys-412 nm.At least 2 different Detroit approach controllers, followed by Toledo approach, then about 3 Indy center freqs-possibly 2 Fort Wayne approach, then Dayton approach-2 different freqs, then Indy again, then Cinci approach, then Indy again, then Lexington approach, then Atlanta center, then Knoxville approach.At least 17 freq. changes-probably forgot a few(toledo-cinci that add another 4 total) . Go a little east and you also get Huntington approach and Tri cities (Va I think) in addition-go a little west and you get Louisville on a couple different freqs for them.The fs atc for sure isn't perfect but it isn't as far off as many think.What we really need is the controllers getting the call sign wrong-or the aircraft type wrong, or a change of clearance mid flight.That happens all the time-at least to me.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest davidvoogd

When you get the constant change frequencies it's usually from sitting on the boundary altitude, just ask for a change in cruise alt +/- 2000 feet. Or better yet - get Radar Contact.