Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Should I get SP2 (or acceleration)

I now have FSX installed with SP1 on this systemAMD 64 4000+2 Gb PC3200 RAMNVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGPWD Raptor 150 GbWin XP HomeConsidering my system with Win XP should I use SP2 and what could be expected from it?1) Decrease in performence2) No change in performence3) Increased performenceIf it's best to use it what is the best option?1) Download just SP2 from MS2) Buy Acceleration Pack (is it worth the money)

Guest UlfB

I can't answer any of your questions.Regarding your three first questions I would suggest that you install SP2 and try it out. Just uninstall if you don't get any better performance. Just remember that high fps isn't the answer when testing. It's the feeling when flying. Is it smooth and is the quality of textures better?Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

From my experience, increase in performance and I installed acceleration for carrier traps.SP2 adds lots of fixes behind the scenes and should be installed regardless.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

I had almost the exact system that you had.You probably won't see a tremendous increase in performance (maybe a bit). SP1 provided the HUGE performance boost. SP2 was incremental performance-wise, in my estimation.Acceleration is definitely worth it:1) 3 new aircraft2) working aircraft carriers3) working winches for your helos4) an entire air racing system5) 30 new missionsBang-for-buck, Acceleration is the single best add-on for FSX that there is. Dude, you can get Acceleration new for $19.99 at Amazon (or even get used copy for less than $10 bucks). Why are you still reading this? Go. Buy. Acceleration!

Guest jshyluk

In my experience and capacity as a Senior Staff Reviewer for AVSIM, I completely agree with the above. If you like FSX at all, you should like Acceleration as well. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>I now have FSX installed with SP1 on this system>AMD 64 4000+>2 Gb PC3200 RAM>NVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3 AGP>WD Raptor 150 Gb>Win XP Home>Considering my system with Win XP should I use SP2 and what>could be expected from it?>1) Decrease in performence>2) No change in performence>3) Increased performence>If it's best to use it what is the best option?>1) Download just SP2 from MS>2) Buy Acceleration Pack (is it worth the money)I have installed SP2 twice, I guess not trusting my initial reactions to it, after reading *basically* positive comments such as in this thread. I uninstalled it yet again, after noticing effects with BLOOM, which I used most of the time, were compltely missing in 2D or 3D mode (can't recall which right now), and otherwise diminished in the other view. Also, I had clearly better performance with SP1, which is where I have left it for many months now. As mentioned, it IS uninstallable without untoward effects, so that helps in your situation.QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X