Sign in to follow this  
Guest wdailey

Airtraffic fsx

This sounds like a great program for getting more customized traffic at my local airport easily-it seems to have just been announced at flight one.http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=airtrfcfxDo any of the experts know if this will screw up things if you already use a program like mytrafficx?Thanks,GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Know - no none of us have it yet (if we could be called experts).A scan of the various websites and forums dedicated to AI does not reveal anyone who admits having worked on the development or familiar with the product or Mudpond Development.The only Mudpond FS group I know is Jerry Beckwith's site. He and his friends are much more devoted to realistic flyable flight dynamics than AI.But looking at the F-1 site and the program features:Real-time Radar Display:Displays location of user's aircraft and AI aircraft.Displays airport runways, helipads and taxiway parking spots.Displays aircraft type, altitude and airspeed.Generate Air Traffic:Static parked aircraft can be placed at the local airport.FSX ATC AI controlled aircraft can be added at the local airport.Local aircraft and formations can take-off, fly patterns around the local airport, and land.Enroute aircraft and formations can follow flight plan waypoints.Formations of up to six aircraft can follow the user's aircraft.Real time radar display is not a problem to create. The SDK Map feature does #1 and #3. #2 is only integrating some of the features of a parking development program - just scanning the APvnnnnn.bgl and addon parking files. The screen shot looks pretty much like dozens of TCAS gauges. The label information output from FS via FSUIPC or SimConnect is just a matter of picking what to display.Generate Air Traffic.Static aircraft - no problem with either very short AI flight plans. I've also seen some people who generate static models from AI aircraft. No big innovation.Adding aircraft to an airport. Creating new flightplans is no problem. Adding sufficent parking for the AI to avoid stutters is the harder part, but not a big issue.Formations - the military AI folks have been doing this for about three years - but mostly with models which are really two, three and four aircraft formations.But the ability to 'tie' different aircraft together has been with us for at least four years - it is the foundation behind MRAI's Traffic View Board's follow a flight feature. Nothing revolutionary.AI Aircraft following flight plan waypoints. I made flightplans to do this back in 2002 & 2003 with FS2002. Not hard. We first used it to make Nimrod aircraft fly ASW patterns across the North Sea. The only trick is making the waypoint - which is just a fake airport.Formations follow the user aircraft - again MRAI did basically this in reverse.Bundling the entire package together and making it integrate smoothly - that is where many people fall down on the package.Part of the screen shot of the user interface has some commonality to a couple of AI traffic generation programs.For $25, it's worth my money to buy and investigate. Tell you more later.EDIT - but since the program is basically AI traffic generation - should be no more obtrusive than any other AI traffic program.The key to avoiding problems is to not overcrowd the airports with AI traffic.

After some more checking - I find a formation flight tool for FSX very much like the AirTraffic FSX program description on Jerry Beckwith's web site.If he's involved in the development - it will be first rate / high quality work.

You could say that Jerry is involved... :-)However, there are some very distinct differences between the freeware offering and AirTrafficFX. And that is exactly why it isn't free. Simple to use, non-obtrusive and quite a bit of fun. + well supported by Flight1 and Mudpond. Not much to lose here....Jim

Guest wdailey

I got it and have played around with it.The main plus is it's really super easy to use - the main drawbacks are it uses its own database of airports to place objects and doesn't appeasr to read any addon scenery parking which you may have installed so placement of static aircraft is haphazard in relation to your particular scenery setup - and also - as has been mentioned by others - the added aircraft are a real framerate killer. With some tweaks - like an option to make the changes persist between sessions and the ability to read the users installed scenery in placing static aircraft it would be worth having. In it's current state it would be worth a $10 price tag - at $25 its presently overpriced in my opinion.CheersBill

I see "New Version 3.0 Features: Updates runway database to include information from add-on scenery packages".That looks good.Any new feedback of this product now?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.