Sign in to follow this  
A36 Apache

Revisit: Best Defrag program for FSX?

I know it's been discussed over and over again. However, NOW, in November of 2008, what do simmers consider the best, most complete, and less troublesome Defrag program available today.I say this because defragging is so very important for flightsimming. I'm currently using the one with Vista Windows and would gladly change and pay for a program that is postively superior for our important hobby.

Ultimate Defrag 2008, programmed by people who run FShttp://www.disktrix.com/UDIntroduction.htm

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

REALLY? How did that happen? That would definitely be the one, then. A defragger programmed by FS people. Unbelieveable. Why didn't I hear about that?Thank you.

I'm going to buy it...tell me, how exactly do you use Ultimate Defragger to serve FSX best?Downloading it now.

Guest ziporama

There are several choices out there. I'm using Raxco's Perfectdisk, after having DiskKeeper for a while. I'm pleased with PerfectDisk, and again, there are several out there to select from.Hope this helps,Etienne

I use Raxco PerfectDisc Professional.It appears to keep my drives in tip-top condition with very little attention from me.Tonywww.msfsgateway.com

Guest UlfB

PerfectDisk works perfectly well for me.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

I have Ultimate Defrag 2008,Could someone suggest the procedure for using it to defrag a PC that is used is used primarily for FSX and EMail.Thanks for any help.

Guest Spirit Flyer

Ultimate defrag by a long shot. I have a upper mid-level machine with Vista 64 OS on which it works perfectly. I think I get performance far above what I should expect with my specs. It's not just hype, the difference is real.Spirit Flyer-FSX Deluxe with Acceleration-Intel 2 Quad Q6700-NVIDIA GeForce 9800 512 GTX+ Superclocked-4 gig high speed ram-500 gig hard drive-24 inch wide screen monitor-UTX (all)-GTX (all)-ORBX FTX (all)- Highly Recommended!-OZ GA Airports-FEX-TrafficX-Aerosoft Twotter and Beaver-Level D 767-300(I don't know how to program the flight computer, so it is falling apart behind a hanger somewhere...-Carenado Cherokee (with tinted windows I can't see out of very well)-Carenado Mooney (with FTX HD upgrade)-Carenado Cessna 182 (with FTX HD upgrade)-Real Air SF 260 (Favorite)-Real Air Spitfire-Thousands of freeware mods from AVSIMand so on...and lots of other stuff I can't remember (age)

>I have Ultimate Defrag 2008,>Could someone suggest the procedure for using it to defrag a>PC that is used is used primarily for FSX and EMail.>Thanks for any help.Certainly.It moves all your important files closer to the 'MFT'. This is located at th edge of your HDD.Moving them close to this, causes them to be read faster thus giving higher frame rates.You can select those that you want before the defrag commences, and it's much quicker than the Windows defragger.Just click on 'Tools'and then 'Options'. Drag or use the arrows to transfer the required files over to the left side.The click 'Consolidate' and your required files will be moved over, finishing with a defragmentation.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Nick_N

O&O Defrag v 8.6 using the complete name defrag process.. and a few other tweaks I have yet to find anything that works better and I have played with them all

>>>It moves all your important files closer to the 'MFT'.>>And my I ask a dumb question - how one knows what are those>"important" files? Does the program offer any advice as to>what files should be moved?>>Michael J.>http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpgWell, if was to answer that, you wouldn't know what you was doing anyway, would you? ;)Do me a favour eh. What files would you expect would want to be read faster?How about FS9 and FSX, for starters? :)

Dave Taylor gb.png

I'm an O&O Defrag 8.6 man myself. FSX defragged on Name.Being near the MFT is not the be all and end all that it sounds. Preventing head movement is equally if not more relevant so getting FSX textures files (mainly) next to each other and on as few tracks as possible is another performance consideration. The MFD is not always at the edge of the platter. My System drive has its MFD fair smack in the middle whilst on another partition its MFD at the edge of the platter. But the user doesn't get any choice in that matter.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.