Sign in to follow this  
A36 Apache

Revisit: Best Defrag program for FSX?

Guest Nick_N

MFT goes to the end of the dataThe closer the data is to the edge of the disk, the faster the access. Yes, MFT is accessed as well, but what that head reads is very simple location data and that will not hinder perf being after the data on the disk.You are much better off with the MFT after the data at the endTo move the MFT zone and relocate the data the easiest way is to use a 3rd party partition software.. reduce the size of the partition you wish to move the MFT down to about 2GB of freespace and create a new temp partition with the freespace.. then merge the 2 partitions back together. itg only takes a few minutes and once done it never has to be repeated. That will force Windows to destroy the MFT and re-write the area. Once back in Windows after the reboot from the partition merge (if required) open O&O and run the complete name defrag which will fill up the space the MFT was taking up. Upon reboot after that defrag the MFT will expand to 25% of the disk as is should but behind the dataI explained the process to someone else herehttp://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1223610997#5

I use Ultimate Defrag as well. If you have gone ahead and purchased UD then follow the link below to a forum post regarding setup for high performance. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. You will find the instructions posted by 'screamer' on May 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM (about 3/4 of the way down the thread).http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/ind...p/t-152907.htmlAlso, do not forget to DL and install CCleaner which is a fantastic tool to clean your temp and prefetch files among all the junk on your HD. Simply run it before you defrag or before you shut your comp down and you will have better results.Good luck

\Robert Hamlich/

I ran UD and O&O both (not at the same time) for the full length of their trial periods before I decided to buy O&O. O&O was faster in operation, but also more reliable on Vista 64. After UD would finish I would reboot and UD would tell me the level of fragmentation was high again, or it would crash while refreshing the defrag graphic. (UNINSTALL)I have O&O set to defrag by usage statistics (I am constantly flying and working with FSX files), to monitor the level of fragmentation and also have it set to run at every reboot. No complaints and smooth air!

UD2008 also has the Name feature, and that's what I use. I also select all my FSX/scenery files and put them under high performance (moves them to the outside of the platters -faster access)I then do a defrag and be sure to check "Respect High Performance" and "Put directories close to MFT" using the "Name" method.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

"O&O Defrag v 8.6 using the complete name defrag process.. and a few other tweaks I have yet to find anything that works better and I have played with them all"I downloaded both version 8.6 and 11 and both do not support Vista 64 and refused even to install. BTW my Diskeeper 2007 was on Vista 32 and now on 64 and never complained.

I am just completing the build of Vista 64 and I installed O&O 8.6 before starting the FSX build and it works fine on my Vista64 machine.@ NickNThanks for the tip on moving the MFT that will be useful.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest Nick_N

Oh well... assuming you downloard the 64bit O&O product and not the 32bit product I guess you wont be using O&O with VistaSounds to me like user errorDid I mention I dont use Vista?its about as useless as boobs on a bull for MSFS and perf:-lol May upgrade to Windows 7 but as far as I am concerned Vista can sit on the shelf and collect dust

Glad you mentioned that. I was about to go down the Vista path myself - in spite of the fact that it's been a PITA on my business laptop...Sorry for the (partial, I hope) thread hijacking but... do you recommend 64-bit XP? I'm guessing yes for the memory access but if you can, please confirm. Thanks!Alan

Guest Nick_N

XP x64 SP2you wont have any DX10 support for games like Crysis so if you are after that support you must use VISTADX10 in FSX is a preview and has its issues... and not worth the switch to Vista

Not a Crysis/other games player and never tempted by DX10 in FSX. XP64 SP2 it is.Thanks!Alan

Can I just sound a little word of caution about Ultimate Defrag 2008 from Disktrix?I bought this product a while ago to run on Vista 64. When functioning and with all the updates installed, it seems to work as advertised. The graphics and user interface are naff and irritating, but I can live with that. Unlike O&O (at least, O&O version 11) it lets you put chosen files (eg, the FSX directory etc) at the outer edge of the platter. It can also rearrange the placement of files by name. It's pretty flexible and, to my surprise, it did actually make a noticeable difference to my FSX load times. If it worked reliably I would recommend it as ideal for FSX.However, in my experience, it's not reliable. I've had two problems. The first time, one day out of the blue it decided that it wouldn't run any more. Customer support acknowledged my e-mails with an automatic reply - but I heard nothing further. A few weeks later, I updated the drivers for my SAS card and it decided to work again. The second time, it again decided - out of the blue - not to run any more. I still haven't been able to fix it, even after installing & re-installing; and after the last time I haven't bothered with customer service.So: IMHO, a potentially good but flawed product, and seemingly without any customer service.Tim

"Ultimate Defrag 2008, programmed by people who run FS"What's the evidence for thas statement?

Wow. Hope that doesn't happen to me.Stan

I do use Vista and the only reason to avoid Vista as far as I can tell is digital rights management, which has nothing to do with MSFS. I am running FSX at high definition on a 32" monitor with 8800 GTs in SLI under Vista 64 with an Intel E8400 with 8 GB of RAM and a LOD setting of 9.5, which you probably know will cause a long load time. No problem with me because the results are amazing enough to be worth a longer load time. I have XP X64 also, but the memory handler is terrible.Oh, and Windows 7? It won't be any better, amounting more to a service pack for Vista that you have to pay for.