Sign in to follow this  
ubersu

Have Jet Blast Barriers in place

Yes, this post will probably bring a great deal of flack. Be that as it may------I have been around simming for more than 13 years and have spent probably over $8000 (CAN) on FS specific computers and payware add-ons. I'm not complaining. That has been my choice, however, I would like some assistance when I, daily, search the two most popular FS web sites looking for both freeware and payware. Both libraries do a great job of keeping us up-to-date on everything available but do not include in their initial info that a payware version is necessary. I'd rather spend my time flying. Yes, I have contributed to scenery and have beta tested many products in FS so I am not a leech. May U always have at least an inch of altitude below your aircraft:-beerchug Gary

How about those that have bought payware-given email addresses and all credit card info, email info etc.-then never get a notice that a payware product has been upgraded?I have just spent the last week googling payware I have bought over the last few years and have been greatly surprised that many of the products that I have spent quite a few bucks for have upgrades.Why do I have to be a detective to find this out? There are a few that do it right-but it seems more do not.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Geofa,I was actually going to add that very subject but thought maybe some would consider I was just a "######er" (hope that is not in the "do not use" category)Gary:-hang

> Both libraries do a great job of keeping us>up-to-date on everything available but do not include in their>initial info that a payware version is necessary.Gary - I'm confused by this - is your main complaint the fact that payware is not easily marked as such? DOn't understand what you mean by "a payware version is necessary". Unless you mean the tons of texture and repaints that require a payware model.I *think* I agree with you :)I realize it's a large effort for a volunteer staff but I would like to see the libraries segmented into a payware sub category. Sure would save me a ton of time.Q9650 E0 CPU 3.0 o/c 4.06Asus Rampage Extreme X48 4G XP2-18200 DDR3 1800FSB Mushkin 996587 RAM 8-8-8-24-1T1-74G Raptor - XP System1-74G Raptor - Data1-320G 7200 - Programs 1-150G Raptor - FSX 1-500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyHannsG 28" 1920x1200Viewsonic 22" 1680x1050http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes, I should have stated my concern more accurately. Basically I would like to see it state that payware was required to use the contents of the zip rather than requiring everyone to Zipdive for that information. Not a major problem but annoying for some I would think.Gary :-violin

Another thing is, someone will upload a REPAINT into the FSX - Aircraft section. Shouldn't those go into the FSX - Repaints, Modifications, etc. file area?RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Gary-Simple when someone wishes to upload to Avsim, say adding a repaint for example one could put "ACME Boeing 747 Air Canada" (ACME being the addon developer). Also, Avsim should change the rules and make it a prerequisite for uploading that all relevant info regarding the file would mention that it requires a certain addon and that it be in the description for all to read.As for the File Library itself, IMO I think a wider audience is better reached and served if we keep it the way it is, we do not need more subsections to search.And Geof, care to share your list? I agree with you 100%, I normally see the top producers sending email alerts or have read about the upgrades at Avsim because they have taken the time to send out a notice. I would pay, yes pay! to have a service that would have a list of available downloads on one single webpage. What about an upgrade page for addons supported by Avsim that would have the company name, product and upgrade link. Would anyone support a service such as this? Think I'll send an email to Tom and see what he says. Who knows, I may be able to help given that I have some extra time on my hands every week.**EDIT** Message sent to Tom Allensworth. Great topic, I am glad this came up.

\Robert Hamlich/

Weird because I was just searching the library for AI models and re-paints last night and was thinking the same thing as Gary. I wonder though if the onus shouldn't be placed on the authors to inclued this information in the title and not the library staff for sorting things out later. I see some contributors, to their credit, already following this practice and I think it would make life much easier for all. Just my 2 pence. Regards, KendallE8500@3.95/4GB/8800GT CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905

Regards, Kendall

Yes, I agree with your proposal and thank you for expanding this discussion. I certainly do not wish to add to the workload of the volunteers who I have a great deal of appreciation for their contributions. If I were a year or two younger and a bit more swift with the computer I would be one of them. Probably I'm resting on my laurels whatever those are.:-beerchug Gary

I think that authors generally indicate the model that a repaint is intended for - search on CLS, PMDG, PSS, PA, IFDG, etc and you will get hundreds of hits; that data is usually in the descriptions. I've never had any problem in finding what I want and discerning the different models required. In general, I think the onus to label is on the uploader - not the library managers.DJ