Sign in to follow this  
ulisses

Snapping.

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Hi all, havent fired FSX up since July, thought id give it another go! Wiped my CFg and let it buld a new one, defragged, all the usual stuff! From what I recall, much much better this time around. Only one issue...Snapping ground textures! Which in turn cause minor stuttering every 4 seconds or so.Any way around this? System specs below, settings on dense autogen and dense scenery, All traffic 4%. I use acceleration. p.s I forgot to ask, when I set frames to unlimited, my frames shoot way way up! Only issue is there is like a skipping on the screen if they go above 100? I have VSYNC turned on and max refresh rate is 60%. Does this mean I must lock below 60?

I don't know about the snapping textures-do you have all the patches applied?I leave my fps at unlimited and get better results and last time I checked nvidia (if you have one) recommends unlimited for fsx.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest davidvoogd

I get the terrain texture jumping if I set fps too high - plus my video card heats up REAL fast when unlocked. I have my slider set to 35 - runs quite smooth there, keeps the snapping and stuttering to a minimum.

Guest ianrivaldosmith

i have nvidia 8800GT...only problkem is with unlimited frames the screen skips when it goes between 60fps and 100+fps....? But If i lock then I get the snapping...its very frustrating!

Guest ianrivaldosmith

I have turned all traffic to 0%, and autogen off. The snapping is still there! Its when I fly over the terrain, the textures snap into place as my plane flies over them, causing the stutter. Going from part blurred textures to full sharpness. Its so annoying. Does anyone else have this issue?

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Ive tried with it turned off and teh entire service shutdown too, same issue :(

Guest ianrivaldosmith

What settings should I be changing? do you fly airliners in FSX or just GA?

Although it is very location-specific, and this is a very generic statement, I'd guess that Dense autogen is hurting you, for starters.You need to pull back sliders until you cannot replicate the snap/stutter. I start with all sliders left (yes, that is not a typo) and frame lock unlimited when I am trying to dial-in what the problem is with a config.That way, when I move a slider on notch at a time, I can get a good idea about what is causing the problem, what is most impacting my performance, and what is not.Also, the search function is your friend...on this site and other major FS sites. Others have had the same issue you describe, and have solved it.After you do that, you can start tweaking BufferPools and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT, which you will probably have to do at some point if you really want to dial it in right.Also your AA and AF settings--both in the driver and in the sim--these would have to be gone through to ensure that you do not have something going on there. (another thing known to cause snap/stutter problems).RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have a few things for you to try. Set your PRE RENDER limt to 1 from 3. That helped me ALOT with the skipping you talk about. I also have found that by leaving LET THE 3D APPLICATION DECIDE setting on also helped me equally as well. Try the pre render 1st and see what happens. The default is 3. This will limit the number of frames to be processed by the CPU before they are sent to the GPU.

Jim Wenham

Guest fundies

Try turning v-sync off. This gives the most frames/smoothest quality for me.

Guest D17S

Search the Avsim library for "FSX Dynamic Benchmark Package." Install this to get a preset run to bench from. I have ~ the same rig. On this bench run I get a smooth 20FPS with frame rate LoCked at 20, with the following settings. (Note, a new Nvidia driver is out today. Get that installed first. It seemed to help with my 9800GTX+)nHancer will not provide a FPS improvement. You can use Nvidia's control panel with the same effect. However I use nHancer to cleanup some stuff in the PMDG Vcockpit. In any case use 8x AA, 16AF, Vsync on / etc. I run a res of 19x10 on a 40" monitor. My 98 is currently driving 2 of these 40 inch monitors. Resolution is not an issue. The Vcard is NoT the bottleneck. The 88/98GTs are plenty of Vcard for FSX.Experiment with full screen vs full windowed vs reduced window modes. This can make a Huge difference in FPS. It's system dependent. FSX setting tabs setup:Graphics: Frame target 20, Res, 19x10x32. Trilinear/AA off. Global Tex 100%. Lens Flare/Adv Anim on. Bloom/DX10, off.Aircraft: Vcockpit. Hi-res on. Exterior Settings, all on.Scenery: Left side (These are all Vcard related except water). All sliders 100% except water at 2xLow, Land detail on. Right side (These are all CPU related. Play with these for FPS dial-in). Scenery Complex 100%, AG 100%, Ground shadow off, SE 100%.Weather: 60mi clouds. Traffic: (These are all CPU related. Play with these for FPS dial-in): All Off.Installed scenery: UTX/GEX/FSG/FEX-HD scenerys.From the Vcockpit.FPS hopping (i.e., The Stutters) and scenery snap-ins are CPU related. Use the autogen slider to dial-in a smooth, locked 20FPS. You may need to drop it back a notch or 2. Once things smooth out, it becomes a trade off. If you want traffic, you must trade it for less AG (or anything on the right side of the Scenery tab.) As a final dial in try tweaking your FSX.cfg file line: {DISPLAY}TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=xx between 20 and 100. No more or less. I run at 70. I guess it helps. Also if you are getting stutters as you pan views, add this line: {BUFFERPOOLS}Poolsize=50000000You are stealing Vcard memory to hold in reserve as a cashe, so easy here. 50M is 10% of your total memory. That's about all you want to go.You have a good system. It'll run the default airplanes just fine. With AG at 25% and a bit of traffic, PMDG's new MD11 can maintain 15FPS on a urban final. There is no stuttering, so it's usable, barely. Make sure you lock frame at 20 in these highly dense Autogen areas. Unlock (if you want) once you are clear of the city. These little 30% (Nehalam) bumps in CPU horsepower or (subjective) 10% bumps memory provision are really pretty irrelevant. 20 FPS goes to 22 or 25, but still at seriously reduced settings. We need some 3X-bumps . . . several. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/194526.jpg