Sign in to follow this  
pastorpilot

For Geoffa...and Anyone Else Who Likes PhotoScenery

Seeing if this works...Disregard. It didn't. Still trying to sort it out. I'm off work for the next 2 days, so there may be hope I'll get the darn links to the pics to work for you.RickEDIT: In the meantime, if anybody here knows where I can upload LARGE files (over 1 MB and 3840 x 1024 resolution) and link to them FROM HERE (without having them added to the AVSIM server, OR end up being displayed full size in these threads), yell. Evidently from what I've read at the Image Shack site I use now, they have changed the way they do things. Their "thumbnail" links don't work the same way as before, and quite a few Image Shack users aren't happy about it.I want to give you links to the full size pics. I tried editing them (resizing, cropping, etc), but they lose too much of the real resolution you would see in FSX, and would not be accurate representations of the addons. If it isn't going to show it accurately, I don't want to post it and give a mis-representation of the addon.

Rick Ryan

Awesome!Absoulutely the best GC Scenery I have found. Thank you for the heads up. Having been blessed to see the real thing, this is as close as it has come in FSX. But for some reason my Colorado River has disappeared into a dry dusty river bottom. I'm not very tech savvy at all. Is this the nature of Photo Scenery? To overlay the Rivers?I have UTX,GEX,FEX, and almost every "X" there is including FTX! ;^)Is there some priority I should put the OZx GC scenery in? Would that get my river back? It also seems that the roads are just gravel trails rather than hard surface.Anyone have any suggestions.Thank you.Steve

Steve,Not knowing for sure what other addons you might have (or where you may have put them, specifically if they are in the Addon SceneryScenery folder in the FSX Scenery Library), you would want to place the OZ x Grand Canyon scenery ABOVE (at a higher prioritysmaller Priority Number) any UTX products and the Addon Scenery folder entries. That way, the OZ x photoreal scenery will display instead of any UTX products for the area covered by the Grand Canyon photoreal scenery. GEX is textures only, so there is no "priority" level involved, as long as you put the OZ scenery above UTX (GEX will replace some UTX textures depending on your choices in the GEX install user interface).I haven't looked hard yet at the roads or Colorado River in the scenery. I'll take a look at those and get back with another post here.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N

I see the same thing Rick.. the river is dust instead of wateralso the main park station is missing but thats a minor thingthis really is a great work and what was needed to make the canyon look and feel like the canyon.It could use a bit more color though and a bit more contrast to the shadows in the rock formations.. its a wonderful and well made freeware addition none the less and a keeper by all means!

Nick,Yupper! River is dry, and roads are dirt trails. The documentation said it was "done by an 'amateur' and there might be some things 'wrong' with the scenery because of that", so I'm guessing there were no water masks included for the river, etc. And the roads...who knows...but that isn't a real show-stopper either. But like you said...it's still a keeper! Best Grand Canyon photoreal I've ever seen for FS. At an LOD 8.0 setting (if your computer can handle it...and you fly slow enough for FSX to "keep up" with the textureterrain mesh loading requirements), it is absolutely incredible.Just so you know...I still like your GEXn stuff for the canyon also. I haven't dis-owned you or your efforts in that area. It's just nice to have choices in FSX. Keep up your outstanding contributions to the community also!(Now get back to work on GEXn Europe!) ;-)Rick

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N

hey no worries man... We know GEX fell short on the canyon... We did the best we could with the mesh and calls that were there for textures. I knew it would take something like this to make the canyon right and I do think this kind of landmark should have been properly designed in the release of FSX. If it had, we could have covered it correctly.What we need are more people like this and Frank who does the Alps, K7 and the bad boy to really make the well known and highly popular areas of flying shine.no worries.. I unplugged from GEX today for our holiday but made sure Anthony was double chained to the project while I was goneI left him 3 pots of coffee, a few burgers and enough slack in the chain to get to the bathroom.

>I left him 3 pots of coffee, a few burgers and enough slack in>the chain to get to the bathroom.Yikes! Well, with 3 pots of coffee, at least you remembered the slack chain thingie for him. ;-)Anywho...I've been going nuts the past couple days trying to figure out why I can't attach an "outside link" to my FSX pics that are 3840 x 1024 so folks could see them here. I'm gonna need therapy before I figure it out. Either the thumbnails links won't work here, or a "direct link" that is SUPPOSED to take you to a page OUTSIDE AVSIM to view the pic always ends up with the pic being added in it's entirety to my post (which isn't cool, as the Mods would come hunting for me when they saw a 3840 x 1024 picture in my post). So, I cropped a few of 'em to 1024 x 768 to meet the forum rules for now. Enjoy!OZ x Grand Canyon on my 'puter with an LOD 8.0 setting...I did them quick and actually "outran" the texture/mesh updating capability in FSX 'cos I was in the Baron flying too fast. If I was going a tad bit slower, the "blurry" hills in the background wouldn't have been blurry. http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6540/gr...anyon006ua5.jpghttp://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7761/gr...anyon005dx5.jpghttp://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6057/gr...anyon004wu1.jpg

Rick Ryan

I also cropped some of my pics from the VFR+ Utah photoreal addon I mentioned in an above post. Here are a few of them. The scenery comes with it's own terrain mesh, and the author (Dean) has also provided free update downloads that eliminate the "cliff" problem around airports when using the terrain mesh. Some resolution lost in the posting process. The scenery looks clearer (believe it or not) all across my 3840 x 1024 TH2G display.First two are an approach and departure from St. George (KSGU).http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2576/ksgu003hp9.jpghttp://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4512/ksgu008hi6.jpgNext two are around Monument Valley airport and national park area.http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4500/mo...alley001ry3.jpghttp://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8651/mo...alley002rq9.jpg

Rick Ryan

Hi Rick ....Thank you for your response. I read the other posts and realize I'm not the Lone Ranger on this. I won't miss the roads/buildings/etc. [i forgot to back up the original files]. The wonderful terrain is a gift enough. Its one of those relaxing places where you can let your mind wander as you fly through. Much like that scenery of Frank's that Nick mentioned.Who knows ... maybe someone will tweak this sometime and this thread will bring the news. Again, thanks for pointing this package out.Take care, Steve