Sign in to follow this  
pastorpilot

For Geoffa...and Anyone Else Who Likes PhotoScenery

Geoffa,From reading your other posts, I know you like PhotoReal scenery. I never really liked it in FS9 due to the resolution, but there are some remarkable advances in it with FSX. I use a lot of it myself in FSX now.If you haven't downloaded the FREE OZ x Grand Canyon_KGCN photoreal scenery referenced on the main AVSIM homepage, GO GET IT! I live in Las Vegas and have done a lot of real-world flying/sight-seeing around the Grand Canyon and KGCN. The above scenery is flat out incredible in FSX. The colors and textures are simply beautiful, and the closest rendition of the real Grand Canyon I have ever seen in FS. If you computer can handle it, make a manual setting change in the fsx.cfg file to change the LOD Radius display to 8.0 (or any higher setting your computer can handle above the default maximum of 4.5), then get ready for some serious "eye candy". With a good third-party terrain mesh, you are gonna fall outta your chair. Low and slow gives FSX time to load the mesh and textures, and it is simply amazing what these OZ guys did with the scenery.Did I mention it was FREE, also? :9 Enjoy!FalconAF

Rick Ryan

FalconAf-Thanks for the heads up! I will run and get it-yes I can't wait till the whole US is done like this.I assume you have tried the Bluesky Sierra mountain range? It is incredible too, some of the most beautiful mountains including Yosemite and also Free.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Nope! Didn't even know about the Bluesky Sierra. Gonna go search for it right now. Thanks for that info!Rick

Rick Ryan

Oh heck...I had seen that site before, but thought all the scenery was for FS9. I now see he has normal and high resolution. The Sierra and Colorado said normal, so I thought they were FS9 quality only. Based on your reply above, I'm gonna go get 'em and see what they look like now in FSX. Thanks!Rick

Rick Ryan

Thanks for that heads up Geofa! You mean I could have been flying in Santa Barbara this whole time? Man.. getting that now. :D Now, if they'd do my favorite place in the world to visit, the Pismo beach area just a bit above Santa Barbara I'd be golden.

Dang it man, I was just getting ready to jump in the ES Cirrus Turbo for my previously planned flight over the Grand Canyon (seriously), and then I just saw this. ;)Now, I gotta wait to get it downloaded and installed before my flight from Brawley Muni to Cedar City, with the flight over the Canyon along the way. Of course, I'm flying over the Canyon at the actual minimum of above 14,500 (I chose 17,000 to get high into some MOA's I'm crossing). Hope it still looks great from that altitude.Can't wait to take a look....great timing :D

>Did anyone get an error on install?:>>OZx_WorldGrand_Canyon_KGCNScenery|GranNewDD.bgl:This file>contains invalid data. (error 11FD).Geoffa,I just woke up and saw your above question. No errors on my install. You might have a corrupted download. The process to download it is a little strange. The first link downloads a file about 1.2 MB to your hard drive. Then you run that file and it takes you to the site to download the scenery file. I already deleted the zip file for that, so don't know the exact size you should be getting. Once extracted/installed (I install mine to a separate folder outside FSX) there should be 3 folders...scenery, texture, and User Documents. The scenery and texture file Properties on my XP system show total install size of 465 MB (487,905,148 bytes) with 110 files in 2 folders (I moved the User Documents folder out of my FSX directory).EDIT: The GranNewDD.bgl file on my install shows file size of 90,317 KBRick

Rick Ryan

"flying over the Canyon at the actual minimum of above 14,500"Interesting:Going to have to take a peek at the scenery recommended in this post!!! Geofa and others, I will be interested in your evaluation as well.For what it is worth:Years ago real world, (not going to tell how many), before too fools decided to run together in the canyon and originate this minimum, my wife and I took a vacation flying in our 172 from the Gulf Coast to Carlsbad, then to the Grand Canyon. Approaching the rim of the canyon at a relatively low altitude AGL is a sight to behold by itself. A distortion on the horizon that turns into a miracle as you cross the rim. Later, standing on the rim, I saw a Bonanza flying about a third of the way down from left to right. Some four and one-half miles wide and over 2,000 feet deep, that made my decision. We flew from the park to Lake Meade literally in the canyon. Unfortunately, (or I guess fortunately depending upon your view), as you said, that is no longer permitted. We spent the rest of the vacation in Vagas before returning home.I'll bet thanks to simulation only, you choose to take a closer peek as well. I highly recommend it. HOW BEAUTIFUL! It will be an excercise in your proficency as well as a pilot. Play like it was xx years ago.Happy flying:RTH

Yea, dang it, I'm a stickler for flying under real word procedures as much as I'm capable/aware of. Takes all the fun out sometimes :DActually, took a sneek peek just to see everything loaded correctly, and it did. Wonderful job, and it even still looked great at 17,000.....On my way in real time now, just crossed BLH, should be over the Canyon within 30-40 minutes.;)EDIT: I just requested and received 15,000 past my last MOA....that'll get me a little closer ;)

I can only imagine those days-you are very fortunate. I flew out there last year but landed in Flagstaff-not only the rules about flying near the canyon but the Grand Canyon airport gets a bad rap on airnav.com so avoided it. It still looked pretty nice from the ground! :-)The flight to Sedona from Flagstaff made up for it though.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/