Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

REX, FEX, GEX, UTX??

I, too, am looking forward to the "realism" that REX promises. However, I currently use FEX and GEX, and occasionally turn on UTX (has real effect on frames).How COMPATIBLE will these programs be together, and should one be turned off when using another? I'd really like some advice before buying another program. What effect on frames is REX supposed to have?

FEX, GEX, and UTX can all be used together. REX, GEX and UTX will be able to be used together.FEX provides environment textures and REX provides environment textures (along with its own weather simulator). So, in the simplest sense, you will use either FEX or use REX not both. I'm not sure if it will be possible to use the REX weather simulator with FEX textures (comparable to how you can use FEX textures with ActiveSkyX).I'm really excited about REX myself and am eagerly awaiting its release.

Guest Mower

When is REX due out and is it better than FEX?

rex is also claiming it has a flight planning tool. but, I can find no description of it at their web. does anyone have an idea about how it will mesh with fsx...perhaps even function for fsx as fsnav does for fs9?Sherm

I bought FEX over a year ago and still the promised weather engine is nowhere to be seen.I'll buy REX as soon as its released because it comes with a weather engine. Then I'll delete FEX and good riddance :)

Matthew S

>When is REX due out and is it better than FEX?Yes much better! Includes flight planner, weather engine, runway textures and high def clouds.IMO anyone who buys FEX now is just wasting their money. Save it for REX it will be out in a few days apparently!

Matthew S

Guest Mower

Thanx for the timely advice as I was just looking over FEX and pondering it to replace my creaky old ASX...BUT, BUT: will REX incur a FPS hit? I cannot afford to lose any FPS since I run the PMDG MD-11 and RC4.

>rex is also claiming it has a flight planning tool. but, I>can find no description of it at their web. does anyone have>an idea about how it will mesh with fsx...perhaps even>function for fsx as fsnav does for fs9?>>Sherm>Read through this thread:http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=14.0and look at this page paragraph III:http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/weather.html

>I'm waiting for TEX MEX. :-lolActually I prefer SEX :-smoochI know, pretty lame :+ Steve

Steve Corzine

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

>>I bought FEX over a year ago and still the promised weather>>engine is nowhere to be seen.>>>>I'll buy REX as soon as its released because it comes with a>>weather engine. >>>>Then I'll delete FEX and good riddance :)>>You a harsh man Matthew :-lol>>http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpgI don't like having bought FEX more than a year ago on the public stated promise (on their website) that a weather engine was coming "soon". After waiting a year there is still no weather engine. IMO that amounts to false advertising.At least in a few days we will have REX!edit: Still the FEX clouds are very good. just annoyed they didnt deliver on the weather engine promise. Maybe they will have to reduce their price substantially since they can no longer compete against feature richness of REX!

Matthew S

It's a slightly sorry tale IMHO. Judging by the developer's latest posts on the FEX support forum, they made three basic mistakes. First, they bit off more than they could chew for such a small outfit. Secondly, they got distracted by the whole "high definition" clouds thing (for which nobody was asking, so far as I can tell; and which, IMHO, is a complete waste of resources given the magnificent views you can get from FEX with 512k or even 256k textures). And thirdly, they overestimated the market for such a niche product.Even so, personally I would not question the good faith of the FEX developers. Chris Norris sounds like a thoroughly decent sort of chap who, like plenty of other small businessmen before him, now finds that his enthusiasm has left him in a bit of a pickle. I won't be holding my breath, but when he says that he is still working to deliver a weather add-on for FEX, I believe him.Tim

>It's a slightly sorry tale IMHO. Judging by the developer's>latest posts on the FEX support forum, they made three basic>mistakes. First, they bit off more than they could chew for>such a small outfit. Secondly, they got distracted by the>whole "high definition" clouds thing (for which nobody was>asking, so far as I can tell; and which, IMHO, is a complete>waste of resources given the magnificent views you can get>from FEX with 512k or even 256k textures). And thirdly, they>overestimated the market for such a niche product.>You're right about the HD clouds. Whilst they are very nice looking I turned them off after a day or so because I seemed to get better FPS without them. I would have rathered they spent their time actually making the weather engine instead of the HD clouds.

Matthew S