Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobL

Two Questions for Designers

Guest BobL

First, I am continuing to work on a 310R that I have pieced together from various places. The real 310R ignition switches consist of four independent, single pole double throw (i.e. off-on) switches. There is a separate switch for Left Engine, Left Magneto...Left Engine Right Magneto...Right Engine Left Magneto...and Right Engine Right Magneto. See the screenshot below. All the guages and switches that I have been able to find so far for multi-engine magneto are either rotary (like the FS2002 Baron) or Double Engine Keyed (Like the Cessna 182 with two of them). Does anyone know where a guage or guage set is that will emulate the switches in the pic below?Secondly, I am reaching a point that I would like to try some guage/driver programming but I have no education/experience in that. While I know that the drivers and guages are done in something called C++ and xml that is all I know. What software do I need? And are there any books/tutorials available for someone who knows absolutely nothing about programming? Or am I staring at two years in a tech school before I can even start?BobLHere the pic

look in the gauges section over at Simvation.com and Chuck Dome has a set of similar switches.Brian

Hello Brian,Didn't Dai Griffiths make a slew of switches?STRTPCK1.ZIP Engine starter pack engine 1. Contains separate voltmeter and ammeter plus magneto, avionics, pitot, panel, landing light, master generator, master battery and strobe switches. Also has starter, generator and low-volts warning lights. All switches have sounds. A modified RG182 panel is included to demonstrate the gauges.STRTPCK2.ZIP Engine starter pack engine 2. Contains separate voltmeter, ammeter, magneto and battery master switches plus starter and generator warning lights. All switches have sounds. This is an addon pack for strtpck1.zip to add the second engine on a twin.STRTPKR3.ZIP Engine start pack 3 that includes switches for both singles and twins. Effectively combines and supercedes STRTPCK1, STRTPCK2 and STRTUPD.ZIP (see descriptions above/below). Also includes EFLAPS.ZIP. This pack contains rocker-style switches and eliminates the need for the earlier dummy gauges.STRTPKT3.ZIP Engine start pack 3 that includes switches for both singles and twins. Effectively combines and supercedes STRTPCK1, STRTPCK2 and STRTUPD.ZIP (see descriptions above/below). Also includes EFLAPS.ZIP. This pack contains toggle-style switches and eliminates the need for the earlier dummy gauges.STPCKUPD.ZIP Update to add background transparency for both starter packs. STRTPCK1 and STRTPCK2 are still required.I do not really know if they will work in Flight Simulator 2002, but it is worth a try.Search for Dai Griffiths, Dragonflight Design, or DFD.Best regards.Luis

Guest BobL

LuisI am afraid that despite a diligent search at AVSIM, FlightSim and Simviation for the file names you provided, Dai Griffiths, Dragonflight and DFD that I am unable to locate the files that you spoke of.Would you be so kind as to post a direct link to them or email them to me from my profile.ThanksBobL

Hi Bob,Library searches can often seem like a black art.I tried a search on "Dai" at Flightsim (took me 8 tries to get in - a record, as I have not been able to get in after 30 tries for the last 4 months. I believe that I shall just give up on them.) This gave 119 results, most of which were gauges. Dai Griffiths is one of the unsung heroes of this hobby and should be knighted or medalled or something.I recommend looking at all his offering - you may wind up wanting it all. But, if you are in a rush, just limit yourself to searching under FS98 gauges.Best regards.Luis

I am going to make such a gauge soon, for my panel, in xml format. The start system will consist of independent magneto switches, ignition switches for each engine, and (fake) primers, as well as fuel pump switches and a complex fuel selector, which would be *very* applicable to your panel.Use gau2bmp to get graphics from existing gauges, or create your own.I would btw be VERY interrested in betatesting your panel or complete package. The 310R is a long time favourite of mine, the MaxView 310 was the aircraft I flew 98% of the time in FS2000. Excellent aircraft, yet a bit outdated for todays standards.

Bob,For your first question regarding the mags. In the events IDs Doc of the FS2002 panel SDK there are listings of exactly what you need. Although I have not tested them whatsover to see if they work in XML. ( some variables do .... Some variables don't ) But at least there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.- From the SDK modified for XML use. ( A "K" variable is a variable that when activated by a mouse click or an expression will provide the instruction to control FS )>K:MAGNETO1_OFF>K:MAGNETO1_RIGHT>K:MAGNETO1_LEFT>K:MAGNETO1_BOTH>K:MAGNETO2_OFF>K:MAGNETO2_RIGHT>K:MAGNETO2_LEFT>K:MAGNETO2_BOTHYou could not use these directly perse' but rather using if{ } then{ } statements based upon the actual physical position of the switches. Ex. "if" mag 1 right switch is on "and" mag 1 left switch is on "then" >K:MAGNETO1_BOTH "if" mag 1 right switch is on "and" mag 1 left switch is off "then" >K:MAGNETO1_RIGHT "if" mag 1 right switch is off "and" mag 1 left switch is on "then" >K:MAGNETO1_LEFT "if" mag 1 right switch is off "and" mag 1 left switch is off "then" >K:MAGNETO1_OFFYour second question- XML although not as powerfull in gauge programming as C, opens the door up for us non-professional programmer types. If you have experience in HTML, BASIC and maybe others, XML will become second hand in no time. ( I had BASIC experience over 15 years ago and has helped alot! ) Some good sources of info are: (* in order of importance )1. xmlgau01.zip by Arne Bartels Here at AVSIM.2. Uncab the Baron and 747 cabs and look at MSs code for a reference.3. The FS2002 Panel SDK by Microsoft

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest BobL

I appreciate very much the answers. I'm saving this to my hard drive so that I can come back if I can't get this to workBobL

:I am artistic as a brick LOL!:Hehe, a friend of mine owns a PA-28, which he says 'glides like a brick'. Never heard that one before :DROTFL :)

Please donot us my statements of if { } then { } that was just written in "english to understand. A correct version of the syntax is: G:Var1 = left switch G:Var2 = right switch(G:Var1) 1 == (G:Var2) 1 == & if{ >(K:MAGNETO1_BOTH) } Roman(KGRB)

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest BobL

I've got one better than that. In addition to my fixed wing certificates, I am also an FAA certifed Helo CFI. We have two expressions about helos and gliding:1) They have a glide ratio slightly better than a lead plated safe...and 2) in regard to choosing an emergency landing spot..look between your feet. That's where you're going to land.BobL