Sign in to follow this  

The Salt of failure, crash story ... fsuipc programmer

in 1989 the boeing 737 G-OBME #23867/1603 crashed short of the runway when, after an engine fire, the Captain shut down the operating engine.. incredible mistake, but true.At 26.000 feet after departure and while climbing the aircraft suddenly suffered heavy vibration and smoke in the passenger cabin:the left engine was on fire.When the pilot noticed this he started to look at engine instrument but all parameter was good... appart a small one that showed engine's vibration and the left one was on maximum (5.0). unfortunately he didn't noticed it.He thought then that while the aircond bleed is taken on RIGHT engine and that they was smoke in the cabin that the right engine should be the faultly one... and he stopped it.All went well during the descent, the left engine was on idle and vibration and smoke stopped confirming the pilot's idea. But when the plane leveled near ground and at about 1 km from airport,as power increased on the left engine this one suddenly stopped leaving the aircraft with no engine near ground.... (see image for result)Now my question: I try to model complex failure on engine within a gauge : vibration slowly increasing , anormal oil or egt temperature etc ect fs2002 offer only complete and immediate failure and this isn't very realistic. So fs2002 lack of what every pilot learn : always looking at engine's parameter and specially during critical phase.I tried to write data at fsuipc offset about engine vibration,oil temperature, but fs2002 doesn't react at all to this...any idea to act on the engine's parameter directly ? Dan

Not a good 'solution', but I would go for an indicator control instead of parameter control. It's easy enough to add something to the normal parameter readout before sending the data to the needle. I'm not sure if it would allow the tooltip ID to read this new value though. This is obviously through gauge programming though.Just an idea.

Hello Karl,I forgot to say that my gauge should fit in any panel (invisible gauge) so I cannot provide my hown engine instrument. otherwise I just needed to intercept the normal indication and change them on the diplay acordingly to my need. I tried and tried crashing fs a lot with my test (not good to write data everywhere) but it seem I will be stucked to the "good old" Ms method:1. You have it2. You don't have it anymore.Thanks anyway for the reply.Dan