Sign in to follow this  

Cessna 421B panel in progress, need feedback

HiJust a preview to all of those who has provided me with some excellent help I could never have been without. Thanks.I'm working on a panel that might see a freeware release (complete with aircraft and sounds, and no restrictions apart from commercial) if I/we succeed with the rest of it. It's a Cessna 421B panel, with some rather expensive upgrades (Sandel SN3308 EHSI wannabe) :) It's not photoreal by a longshot, as my opinion of those is that most get so packed they are unusable/unreadable. I prefer big readable instruments and some handy features. The panel is 'divided' into two panels, mainpanel (most frequently used) and a subpanel (with those extra functions you'd normally don't need to fiddle around with when things starts to get very busy; fuelsystem, startup&electrical panel, rarely needed radios and so on). Throttles (I never use gauges for this, and I guess everyone has some kind of controller) and GPS (I never use the oversimplified GPS M$ has provided us with anyway) are put on panels '3' and '4', and thats it. I hate working my way around the keyboard to get the panel I'm looking for, I'd rather have gauges places in the wrong position. Every switch and knob 'work', but not everything is hooked up to a system or function, but it enables you to do every item in a a complete checklist.If you only like photorealism, hit the back button now, if you are a bit open minded, please give some constructive feedback on the images below. Note, only about 40% complete (the second panel has just begun, but the layout is complete), and gauge graphics is not complete yet. Everything is xml-coded except the AoA indicator, default cessna flaps (sorry, I honestly forgot!), audiopanel, ADI, and Autopilot (temporar, will get replaced with a working Cessna IFS).Ok, here goes nothing :)http://home.no.net/karlrpet/panel4.jpgandhttp://home.no.net/karlrpet/panel5.jpgAnd YES!!! I got the fuel selectors to work 100% (AFAIK) by using external tanks instead of the mains (which always causes some weirdness during crossfeed). Due to lack of photographs, I had to 'invent' some things, but is easily changed when/if I get the 421B POH, hopefully soon. The browmounted checklist was an idea I got from '57 Golf' if anyone know that aircraft :) (http://www.stoenworks.com)If you have good experience with flight modelling, don't hesitate to contact me, none of us knows what the heck is what in that area.Feedback please, good and bad, with comments and suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Guest Matthias Lieberecht

Hi Karl,Since a long time I'm looking for a good Cessna 414, 421 or 425. Could not imagine, that every Aircraft Designer forgot to built one. Now it seems, that someone take an eye on it :-)Your Panel looks very good, but as badderjet wrote I also would rework the last photo elements of your Panel. Without them it's absolutely perfect. Seems that you've put in a lot of new Gauges.Do you have a screenshot of the aircraft?Best regardsMatthias

Yes, I started the panel by placing images of instruments as a rough outline. All the insteuments aren't done yet, far from it in fact, so the images are still there as a reminder in case I have little to do :)There are updates every day, and I find new bugs also every day that need attention, but seems to be improving.Here are a couple of shots of the aircraft:http://home.no.net/karlrpet/421_outside_day.jpghttp://home.no.net/karlrpet/421_outside_night.jpgFar from finished and not textured yet.The ice lights haven't been positioned at all yet, so no comments :) The belly beacon has a broken glass, so it shows up in white (I tried to create a red light based on the strobes, as the default beacon will 'bleed through' to the VC at that distance, but had to give in and use the strobe.fx instead).150 views and 2 replies? That bad?Thanks for the encouraging words anyway.I'll try to 'snapshot an entire trip' in a few days, as many functions aren't displayed with two simple screenshots.