Sign in to follow this  

some aircraft.cfg probs and an info

I'm designing the flight dynamics for my aircraft with a combo of notepad and fsedit. It's a 3-piston engine craft and as you'll know they tend to have some drag to the left side. Is there a way to get rid of this or at least make it smaller ?One thing i found is the size of the vertical stabilizer. Now i understand why the baron is defined with an absurd 88 ft vstab. But perhaps there is a way to tell FS that an engine is turning other way round ?Or is there a way to get rid of this with AirEd ?Another problem is my gear. It doesn't seem to have any drag when extending it in the air. Usually extending gear should lower speed and perhaps drop nose a tad. Not so in MS Fantasy Simulator, at least not for piston type. Is there a way to get this type of behaviour ?One thing i found during my experiments:My model is basically a piston engine model, so this might not be the same for other types.Using a wing sweep <= 10 deg generates obviously a classic piston engine craft in the air file with quite some parasite drag. Parasite drag on this model is usually way too high, at least at high speeds. This type of model though is more stable in flight (see baron and the like). Altering wing sweep between 0 and 10 deg doesn't make much difference.Using a wing sweep > 10 or 11 deg (didn't test 11) generates a way 'slimmer' aircraft with way less parasite drag, seems to me like a jet airframe, parasite drag though is way too low. Tends to be unstable - i think there is extra code in FS to make it intentionally yaw (again fantasy sim).The difference between those two airframe types is huge, an aircraft that barely makes 170 KIAS with sweep <= 10 goes around 280+ with sweep > 10.Thats perhaps not interesting when you design an existing aircraft with given specs but it's good to know when working on a concept craft like me.Best RegardsDoc

Guest Firestriker

Prop Rotation! From CFS2 P38 aircraft.cfg{propeller} //use square brackets instead of bracesthrust_scalar=1.0rotation= -1,1 //Engine 1,2,3,... Rotation direction. 1 = CW, -1 = CCW

Guest Milton

For drag and pitch effects from landing gear, see .air file section 1101 Primary Aerodynamics:fields = drag coefficient - landing gear *2048 = (try 100 or greater)and pitch moment - gear= (try .02 or greater)Milton

Thanks for the answers, i will try that :)Thought there has to be a way. Regarding gear i once found (but didn't save) information for aircraft.cfg, something about settings for retractable undercarriage, not sure it also covered drag though ...Best RegardsDoc