Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dnsmo

New Runway Names at Chicago O'Hare

Guest Dnsmo

I did a search and was surprised to find no mention of this news on AVSIM.It's going to take a while to get used to thinking of O'Hare's old 9R-27L as 10-28, the new name it assumed last week.Next month, KORD's current 9L-27R will be renamed 9R-27L. Sounds confusing, doesn't it? This will help sort things out:http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/runways/As you can read, KORD's runway configuration will continue to change until 2011. That's a pretty long time of not having an accurate rendition of one of the major airports of the U.S. on our computers. KORD will essentially become a new airport from the standpoint of runways with new parallels and the closure of the 14-32 runways.Keeping up with the changes as they occur wouldn't seem practical. So, until all the changes are made, I guess we'll have to be content to fly in and out of KORD as it was up until July 5, 2007.Any thoughts?Dennis

...And they're (FAA) doing this to avoid confusion??? This is a disaster waiting to happen. I could just see it a plane is cleared to runway 9R actually lands on the new runway 10 (Old Rnwy 9R), because some 3rd world airline didn't update their navaids! Wouldn't it be better and safer to leave those runways alone, and name the new runway 10-28?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest PARADISE

All runway "names" change over time as the magnetic heading variances change. When I was flying out of KDAB in the late 80's RW 7L/25R was 6L/24R. Don't underestimate the intelligence level of today's professional pilot just because he sits back most of the time and "watches" his/her flight unravel on his FMS. We can still read updated charts issued by the authorities and can pretty much figure out which runway is which.......most of the time, anyway;) John M

Guest Dnsmo

Mind you, the current magnetic bearing of ORD's 10-28 is 92.7 and 272.7 degrees. So, this was a measure of necessity for the new configuration, not to accomodate a magnetic variation. On the south side of the airfield, there eventually will be 10-28 Left, Center and Right. The current 10-28 (the former 9R-27L) will eventually become 10L-28R. On the north side, 9L-27R will get renamed 9R-27L (August 30, 2007) and eventually two more 9-27 parallels will be added.The idea is to emulate the configurations at ATL and DFW. They'll keep the 4-22 parallels, but the 14-32 parallels, which includes what is currently O'Hare's longest runway, will be closed. By my count, that's four brand new runways, three renamed runways (one is being renamed twice) and two closings in the course of the next four years. Quite a makeover!Here's another site that explains more thoroughly the phases of transition:http://tinyurl.com/366h6k-------------------------------Dennis

Flight Simulator was never ment to reflect recent changes or the current configuration of airports and the world's air navigation system.It is a 'Slice of Time' programYes, airports can be updated - but it takes a lot for work because it's a lot more than just changing Runways with AFCAD for FS2004 or FSXPlanner / ADE for FSX.Long run - revamping KORD's runways is the only way the airport can stay competitive in today's world.The transition will be a huge pain in the rear - for the real world and for Flight Simmers.You can be sure ATC will be questioning/ telling pilots about the change in designators quite often on approach for the next few years - both in the real world and on Vatsim.

>>Keeping up with the changes as they occur wouldn't seem>practical. So, until all the changes are made, I guess we'll>have to be content to fly in and out of KORD as it was up>until July 5, 2007.>>Any thoughts?>Yes I have a few thoughts wandering around :)No we don't have to be content with that. Ray Smith has done KORD for FSX (file name fsx_kord2_rs.zip in the library). I suggest you contact him about this change, as I am sure he will want to reflect the changes in his scenery.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Dnsmo

>No we don't have to be content with that. Ray Smith has done>KORD for FSX (file name fsx_kord2_rs.zip in the library). I>suggest you contact him about this change, as I am sure he>will want to reflect the changes in his scenery.>>>RhettThanks, Rhett. I'm sure he'll be interested in this transition.The problem is, since this is being done in phases, there will be seven different flavors of KORD between now and the end of 2011.The next version we'll have as of August 30, 2007 will remain valid until sometime in 2008, when 10-28 gets renamed 10R-28L (that will be an easy fix!). Then, updates will just be a matter of adding the four new parallels when each one is finished. Of course there's the closing of the 14-32 parallels. I'm supposing that won't happen until two of the four new runways are up and running.Dennis

that will be an easy fix!). Any change to a runway designator in FS requires not only changing the runway properties but any ILS, all the taxiway signs and most importantly the approaches have to all be edited and fixed. Otherwise the runway is turned into a VFR only runway.

Guest Dnsmo

>that will be an easy fix!). >>Any change to a runway designator in FS requires not only>changing the runway properties but any ILS, all the taxiway>signs and most importantly the approaches have to all be>edited and fixed. Otherwise the runway is turned into a VFR>only runway.Okay, I stand corrected. But, I was thinking it would be a comparatively much easier task than the work required to create runways and all that goes with them from scratch.Needless to say, whoever creates scenery to keep up with all the changes at KORD will have their work cut out for them over the next four years.Dennis