Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobD

Noes Wheel Dampener

Guest BobD

The aircraft that I prefer to fly, is a B-25 left over from an earlier version of MSFS. I currently use MSFS-2002 and have no problems with it except for nose wheel dampening. Unless I am VERY gentle on the brakes, the nosewheel tends to dig in, the props make contact with the ground, the dust flies and I am out of commission. Is there a line in the aircraft.cfg that can be modified to alleviate this problem.Many thanks for any assistance that might be offered.Bob

Guest Milton

Hi Bob,You will find the Contact Points in the aircraft.cfg file. The 1st one is the nose gear. It will look like this (only the nose gear listed here.)[contact_points]//0 Class//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)//2 Lateral Position (feet)//3 Vertical Position (feet)//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)//6 Wheel Radius (feet)//7 Steer Angle (degrees)//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid) //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio//10 Damping Ratio / Water Rudder Effectiveness (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped) / 1.0 = normal//11 Extension Time (seconds)//12 Retraction Time (seconds)//13 Sound Type//14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)point.0=1, 21.6, 0.0, -5.3, 3200, 0, 1.0, 25, 0.4, 3.6, 1.00, 3, 3, 0, 160, 230You need to look at data elements 8, 9, and 10.8=how much of the total movement is compressed sitting on the ground(stated in feet)(about 5 inches here: .4 X 12")9=maximum to static compression ratio (in this case, 3.6 X 5")10=Damping ratio (usually around .7 to 1.0)This is about all the SDK gives you, so you will have to play with it. Also, consider the spring rate for the nose. It may be too high. YOu will find this in the .air file.Hope this helps.Milton

Guest BobD

Thank you Milton,I will give it a whirl.Bob