Sign in to follow this  

I want to start!

Howdy all-I'd like to learn how to build an aircraft in Gmax (Cessna Citation or Aerostar/Duke). I've read the different views on FSDS and Gmax. Are there any step by step instructions on doing this in Gmax?Most important question---- How long would it take to learn how and build a aircraft? I'd like to do something to the standards of "Carenado".Thanks ya'llMike

The "how long" is a matter of perseverance and how much time do YOU want to put into it? Assuming you have no (zilch, none, nada, zip) 3D modelling experience, the learning curve for either FSDS or gmax can be steep or not, depending on how you grasp the concepts.Note that to use gmax, you need FS2002 Professional Edition. Merely having downloaded gmax and makemdl do not an airplane make.------> Personally <----- I find the FSDS to gmax route "easier", but only because I'm used to FSDS, and have barely scratched the gmax surface. FSDS is "easier" to learn, and to get the visual model done, and then use gmax for "finishing" touches, animations, and texturing.If you don't know either, and have FS2002 Professional, you'll find gmax "just as easy" to learn.While gmax is now updated to 1.1, the tutorials are the same as those that came in the FS2002 Pro CDs, so there's no real need to download them separately.The main "syllabus" is to go through all the tutorials that come with the program (either FSDS or gmax) first, then start playing with the program to really learn it's abilities.There are several additional tutorials, links and tips on several sites, one of them being (blatant plug warning) at Freeflight Design Shop (http://www.freeflightdesign.com) - look up the Tips, and Tutorials Sections. There's also an active Design Forum there.Hope this helpsFelix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design