Sign in to follow this  
Guest 733lover

Bad Flight on Alaska 401

Guest 733lover

On Saturday July 14, 2007 I was schuduled to fly on Alaska Flight 401. It was the flight from Burbank to Seattle. The aircraft was an MD-80. The flight was schuduled to depart at 8:10 am. N962AS was the aircraft. Anyway, we began boarding at about 7:40 am. I was excited because it was my first time on an MD-80. We were boarded and I could hear the tug begin to rev and we were starting to push back. Might I add that this was Burbank Airport and if a flight gets canceled or delayed, there is not a lot to do there. So we were pushed back and sat for about 10 minutes. The flight attendant came on and said there was a problem with the Air Conditioning and that they had to taxi back into the gate and I would only take about 5 minutes to fix. When 15 minutes passed, I knew what was coming and sure enough, we were being deplaned. I must say though that they were very helpful with people making connections in SEA but the others were just suppose to wait which would take about 2 hours to be help. I said to my dad that if it was going to be longer than 2 hours that we should try to get another flight. They told us that they would need a part from LAX and it would take an hour to get here, and an hour and a half to install the part. I instantly said no and we went up to the front at check-in to talk to someone over at Alaska Airlines. We told them what happened and wanted to be further reschuduled on another flight. They said the 10:00 was sold out but the 12:45 was available. That was almost 4 hours away and we decided to go over to Southwest. They said they had plenty of flights to SeaTac but the fare would be $412.63 one way for three people. We went back to Alaska and just booked the 12:45 so we didn't have to pay an extra $412. So I sat and watched all the arrivals and departures and then came our plane. A 737-400. The Salmon Thirty Salmon. So I got to fly on my first special paint scheme aircraft of any airline. In the end I got to Seattle 5 1/2 hours late but got to go to the Boeing Factory and see a 747 being built and have some great fish, so in the end everything turned out ok and I will get to fly on an MD80 home. So that was my 2nd trip of the summer and in two weeks, I will do it all over again on Southwest Airlines. I just don't know if I will fly with Alaska Airlines again, but I know they couldn't help it.-Thanks for reading,Nick

To be honest, being someone that flies often (2 or 3 times a month on average, often going to more than one destination on each trip), I have to say that that is not too bad of an experience. Maintenance issues ar truly unforseen events, so you are right in saying that they couldn't help it. I've had a couple of flights where they were just cancelled outright for a maintenance issue, whereas in your situation they at least tried to get it fixed and get the plane on it's way. Also, I would strongly recommend against just running over to another airline anytime someone is delayed... it is just a waste of money in my opinion. Just exercise a little bit of patience (granted, flying as much as I do, you get a lot of practice in being patient) and you will get home before long. The worst experience I personally had was having a hard time getting home to Denver for work the next day. I went to Fresno (FAT) to visit family. Couldn't get the direct flight home so I got a flight over to SFO and tried to get on there. I got there at about 9am, waited until about 1pm (and subesquently got bumped from 4 different fights to DEN) before I finally called up a friend that lived in the area to pick me up and have a drink with me while I waited for a 6pm flight that looked good. By the time I came back and showed up for that flight, the whole day's overbooked passengers just kept spilling over until every single DEN flight of the entire day did not have one empty seat... so I requested a flight over to LAX to see if I had better luck on the last couple of flights they had to DEN from there. No-Go once I got there. So from LAX, I took the half-hour EMB-120 flight over to John Wayne/Orange County (SNA) to try to catch their last flight. Couldnt get on that one either, so I called another friend and spent the night at his house, and went right back to the airport 5 hours later with 3 hours of sleep, and caught the 6am flight out of SNA to DEN. Got there an hour before I had to go to work, which I just went straight to [work]. Finally got home at 10pm that night. Whatta trip! Needless to say, I didnt fly for a while after that. In fact, I just got home a couple of hours from LAX. I was there from about noon until 6:10... missed out on 5 flights to DEN due to being sold out. Made it home okay though (Left FAT at 11:30am to connect through LAX, got home in DEN about 9:30pm)I've been to Burbank a couple of times... youre right, it's not much of an airport to spend any time at. Fresno is even more lame, and I had to spend the night there once... not very fun.I think I got to ride an MD-80/90 with Alaska once. I was little though so I don't remember much. I'm going to try to get on a 727 with Champion Air later this year. I've been on A319, A320, A321, 737, 757, 767, 777, EMB120, CRJ200, CRJ700, and an ERJ145. Been on First Class with the 757 and CRJ700. So what I have left is a 727, 747, EMB170, and Dash-8 that I am going to try to get flights on over the next year or two. It's fun to try the different planes. My personal favorite ride would have to be the CRJ700's, but I have heard that the EMB170's are great planes too. Airline travel is getting more and more crowded every year... I personally shy away from travelling except during September through the beginning of December, and some of January through March.So dont be too discouraged... they seemed to take care of you the best they could have, and remember that no matter what, it always could be worse.

Guest 733lover

WOW! Yeah, it was ok, but in my opinion, the people over at Alaska were a little snotty. There was only one agent there to help everyone and they had no alternatives. I know they were just trying to help everyone though. The only planes I've flown on are an A319 of America West, 737-300 and 737-700 of Southwest, a 737-400 Salmon Thirty Salmon, a 737-800 of ATA as well as a 757 of ATA. Thats about it so as you can see, I don't fly as often as you, but when ever I get a chance, I will and thats why in about 6 hours from right now 7:52 am on Tuesday July 17, 2007 I'll fly on Alaska Flight 358 SEA-BUR on an MD-80. Two weeks later it will be Southwest to Sacramento BUR-SMF. A 737-300 yet again. However that is my favorite plane which is why 733lover came to mind. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed my reading as well I did reading your response. Thats cool that you get to work with airplanes all the time as well as fly on them. Anyway, thanks again.-Nick

Actually I'd call that a good experience.Within the past 60 days (I won't even get into the past 40 years of flights almost all the way around the world):I've had Southwest delay a flight for over 13 hours this year - we called the 800 number after four hours at the airport and got credit on a future flight - canceling our trip.I've spent five and one half hours waiting on a delayed flight at KBDL for American.I've spent four hours at KSDF waiting on Southwest, then was very surprised to make my KMCI-KDAL connecting flight.All those were weather related. Yes, we missed my nephew's high school graduation. But if I have any complaints - I need to find a chapel because SWA has no control over the weather.The people at the airline's airport counters and gates are not the best ones to talk to if you think you need to change your plans. Their options are very limited by the airline and information available. The people on the reservation phone system have more flexibility and can see a bigger picture of what is happening system wide.In the case of the SWA KDAL-KHOU which we cancelled - the line to talk to a person at the gate was 18 people when I made the call, and only down to 12 when I finished.I'm also sure that the gate agent did not have the information which the phone agent had - that the aircraft scheduled for our flight - now three hours late - had three other legs to fly before it arrived at KDAL.If you are going to be a frequent air traveler, you have to understand that stuff happens.Every time a plane breaks down like you described - it costs the airline money. They've lost the profit on that flight. They will do their best - but there are a lot of people trying to get somewhere and there are only so many seats available.Weather delays cost money - the AAL flight was delayed for 45 minutes after it finally arrived at KBDL because the crew had gone past the allowable hours and a new crew had to be driven up to Hartford from New York via ground. Once in the air, the three hour flight took four and one half hours because we had to fly around a lot of weather.One reason to always have four or five hours of reading material with you for any flight.Yes, the airlines are doing some stupid stuff, like getting people stuck on aircraft without the ability to get them off safely for hours.But overall, you describe a positive experience with a flight delay.

These things happen with air travel. Your experience is no worse than many others have experienced.

>>I think I got to ride an MD-80/90 with Alaska once. I was>little though so I don't remember much. I'm going to try to>get on a 727 with Champion Air later this year. I've been on>A319, A320, A321, 737, 757, 767, 777, EMB120, CRJ200, CRJ700,>and an ERJ145. That's neat! I have been on a CRJ700, DC-9, MD-80, A319, A340, 727, 737, 747, and 757. The 747 was a hot trip, they had the heat cranked all the way across the Atlantic, and NO ICE CUBES in the water! :) Ice cubes are not as common in Germany as in the USA. It was a Lufthansa flight from KORD to EDDF. It was a nice roomy plane though. Very many empty seats.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Age is everything:Commercial flights (in approx order for first flight):DC-9, B727, DC-8, B707, CV990, DC-10, JS-31, DC-6, dH-114, DC-3, L-1011, B737, MD-8X, B747, YS-11, MD-11, BE99, B767, S340, CRJ-200, ERJ-140, CRJ-700, ERJ-135, ERJ-145, A320Military include a lot more - C-121, A-3, P-3, C-1, C-2, C-5, C-141, C-130, B-52, TA-4, T-2, B-1, E-6, KC-135

>>Military include a lot more - C-121, A-3, P-3, C-1, C-2, C-5,>C-141, C-130, B-52, TA-4, T-2, B-1, E-6, KC-135I was on a B-52, but did not fly in it, back in the early 1980's when Eaker Air Force base was still going in Arkansas. The interior was heavily padded, I remember that much.The C-141 was always interesting to me. It seemed so long in proportion to its width. We have a TA-4 (that's a 2-seater Skyhawk, isn't it?) down at KCGI airport near me, which is slated to go on static display, but hasn't been cleaned up or mounted yet.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

My B-52 flight was the shortest one I've ever flown - from PGUM to PGUA. Don't think we were in the air 10 minutes. But I got to ride in a BUFF.

WOW. You flew the B52 in the BUFF.JimCYWG

Guest 733lover

Yeah, well thats what I thought. Until we were on our return flight. 35 minutes late because of burnt out lights in the cockpit. Bad turbulance and no effort to make their way around them. One lavortory not in service. A very hard landing with no flair. And a bag that got ran over. Yes, and to end it all, my bad was ran over leaving a big tire mark and a rip in the side, ruining a shirt and a pair of pants. Then they put the bag on the conveyur like there was nothing wrong. I hope it makes sence now why I was a little angry with Alaska Airlines.

>Yeah, well thats what I thought. Until we were on our return>flight. 35 minutes late because of burnt out lights in the>cockpit. Bad turbulance and no effort to make their way around>them. One lavortory not in service. A very hard landing with>no flair. And a bag that got ran over. Yes, and to end it all,>my bad was ran over leaving a big tire mark and a rip in the>side, ruining a shirt and a pair of pants. Then they put the>bag on the conveyur like there was nothing wrong. I hope it>makes sence now why I was a little angry with Alaska>Airlines.No, it still doesn't make sense. If this was why you are angry at Alaska, then why didn't you tell this story to begin with? Your return flight had nothing to do with the maintenance delay on your outbound flight, as far as I can tell. How did you know they made no effort to get around the turbulence or that there actually was a way around the turbulence? Where did you land? At many airports where the runways are shorter, we just don't try to grease them so that we can get the plane on the ground with as much length to stop her as possible. You don't want to end up like that Tam Brazil, or that Southwest, or that other Southwest, or that Garuda, or that Aero Republic, or that Continental Express, or that US Airways, or that American, now do you? Sure the pilot could have just had a bad landing, period. But ten years from now when you're old enough to learn to fly and give it a try, you'll probably think back on this guy's landing and not feel so harsh about it.About the only thing in here of your whole trial and tribulations that you should sensibly deserve any redress on is your bag. You should have taken it to a customer rep down at the baggage center and filed a claim for the damages. They should pay you back.

Aren't those things old and dirty? I wouldn't leave any sensitive parts completely exposed or touching the seat like that.

Guest 733lover

The landing was at LAX. Thats why I don't understand. Maybe just a bad landing. When we hit turbulance we kept flying right through it. And I don't me a little bumps or 2, I mean major turbulance. There was a thunderstorm moving in and we were at the heart of it. I usually hear of flights flying around a thunderstorm, not into them. My bag I took to a rep and they gave me a $40 check for the damage. And the reason why I didn't tell anyone this part was because I hadn't flown back yet. I wrote the first part at my Grandpa's house in Seattle. So put the first flight together with the second one. Here is how it went.To Seattle:Boarded at 7:40am like they said.Pushed back at 8:10am. So far on time.Sat and waited for 10 minutes while planes taxied passed us.Were told there was a problem with the Air Conditioning and we had to go back to the gateThe problem would be fixed in 5 minutes.We waited 15 and knew that we wern't going to Seattle.Were told the problem couldn't be fixed and had to deplane.Were told it would take atleast 3 hours for everyone to get helped.Were told that the part had to come from LAX and it would take an hour to get here.Were told the part had arrived but the engines were too hot so they had to tow the plane to a hanger so they could cool down. Were told the part would take 2 hours to install because they might need another one for this one to work.After that update, I was getting on a another flight.Everything was fine after this.Return to Los Angeles:Boarded at 6:10pmEveryone was on about 5 minutes ahead of schudule.A mechanic came into the cockpit. Great!They said there were a few burnt out lights that were required for night time flying.They said that the bulbs were unsuccessfully changed and that it would take another 10 minutes.Finally they were fixed but then thought they would need more fuel because they flight had more passengers than they estimated.Had to wait 15 minutes for the fuel truck to arrive and fuel the MD-80.Finally pushed 35 minutes behiend schudule.After take-off hit a few nasty patches of turbulance and then the big thunder-storm over Portland.There was no effort made to fly around these thunderstorms. Drink service had to be stopped. The windows became soaked in water and the turbulance lasted about 10 minutes after the thunderstorm which lasted about 10 minutes as well.We began the approach and landed really hard at LAX with no flair of any kind. Just straight down and there was no greasing the landing at all.Went to baggage claim to find my bag had been ran over and it left a big tire mark, a big rip, and ruined a shirt and a pair of pants.Then I got $40 for my bag and caught the SuperShuttle home back to Santa Clarita, CA.______________________________________________________________________ The EndThis was my first time on Alaska Airlines. Putting everything together, the flight there and the return flight, it just made it, well not a night-mare, but really, really, frusterating. And when you begin to miss Flight Simulator, you just want to go home. I know this isn't as bad as other stories I've heard and people have experianced, but once you hear the whole thing put together like this, one might start to feel the same way I did. Thats why I wrote this post.

If a plane is broken, then it is broken. What do you expect them to do? I am assuming that flight was not from LAX but some other airport in the LA basin other than their LAX hub. If your plane is broken at an outstation, it is going to be a longer hassle than if your plane is broken at a hub, since there is no maintenance at the outstations. Airlines rely on local mechanics who don't know the plane and have to bring in parts and their own people from the hubs to work on a plane that breaks at an outstation. You cannot just snap your finger and demand a replacement plane magically appear out of thin air at an outstation. That broken plane is probably the only Alaska plane there. And if there is another one, it is probably committed to going somewhere else. You can't fault them for this. This kind of mx delay can happen at any airline.And if the plane needs more fuel, I as a passenger would certainly rather they put the needed fuel on board than to go with less than enough gas to get me there. Why be upset about something like that? And most likely, regardless of whatever they told you over the PA, is that the extra gas was for rerouting because of the thunderstorms. We won't know that our flight is rerouted by ATC until a few minutes before pushback when the clearance becomes available. If you don't like that, you should lobby the FAA to change their ATC procedures. But once we find out that we don't have enough gas for the new routing, the sensible thing to do would be to get more gas, even if it means a delay. Again, this happens with any airline.Those pilots probably knew how antsy you were getting about getting home to your MSFS and just plowed straight through the line of weather instead of diverting a couple of hundred miles around it and then they hit the ground running at LAX so that they could get to the gate faster for you. So why be upset?P.S. It's "flare" not "flair." Flaring is the act of pulling the nose of the plane back before touchdown. Flair are the thirty pieces of trinkets you wear on your vest to show your spirit. The minimum amount of flair you can have is fifteen. But you don't want to be someone who just does the minimum, do you?